10 Best Clarifying Shampoos
Table of Contents
Shopping For The Best Clarifying Shampoos
Did you know that hair has natural oils that help protect against dryness? That’s why it’s important to use products that nourish and moisturize your strands.
Clarifying shampoos are designed to cleanse your hair while adding moisture back into the hair shaft. These products also contain ingredients that remove excess oil and dirt from the scalp, leaving hair feeling soft and shiny.
What Is Clarifying Shampoo?
Clarifying shampoo is designed to remove build-up from hair, such as residue from styling products and environmental pollutants. Clarifying shampoos are usually more acidic than regular shampoos, which helps to dissolve build-up.
They are also generally sulfate-free, which is important for those with color-treated or sensitive hair. While clarifying shampoos can be used on all hair types, they are particularly beneficial for those with oily or dry scalp conditions.
The best clarifying shampoo for you will depend on your hair type and needs.
The 10 Best Clarifying Shampoos
1. Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two, Clarifying, Removes Buildup, For All Hair Types, Especially Oily Hair
- This shampoo is perfect for medium to fine hair as well as chemically treated hair
- Result are manageable, full of body and shine without the dull build-up
- Leaves hair shiny and incredibly healthy
2. Neutrogena Exfoliating Healthy Scalp Clarify & Shine Shampoo for Oily Hair and Scalp, Anti-Residue Shampoo with Pink Grapefruit, pH-Balanced, Paraben & Phthalate-Free, Color-Safe, 12oz
- CLARIFY AND EXFOLIATE scalp & hair with Neutrogena Healthy Scalp Clarify & Shine Grapefruit Shampoo
3. Redken Detox Hair Cleansing Cream Clarifying Shampoo | For All Hair Types | Removes Buildup & Strengthens Hair Cuticle
- Purifies, refreshes and leaves hair shiny
- Instantly removes product build up and pollution residue from hair
- Instantly removes minerals found in hard water (copper, iron, magnesium, calcium)
- Strengthens hair cuticle and adds shine
- Suitable for all hair types and textures, including color treated hair
4. Moroccanoil Clarifying Shampoo
- For Hair Burdened by Buildup
- Color Safe
- No Sulfate Phosphate Paraben
5. OUAI Detox Shampoo. Clarifying Cleanse for Dirt, Oil, Product and Hard Water Buildup. Get Back to Super Clean, Soft and Refreshed Locks. (10 oz)
- OUAI DETOX SHAMPOO. Move over juice cleanse, it’s time for a hair cleanse. Get rid of product and hard water buildup, dirt and oil with this 1-2x a week clarifying treatment. Here’s your fresh start, see you next week.
- YOUR HAIR’S HOLY GRAIL. This concentrated shampoo with apple cider vinegar gets you back on good terms with overworked tresses. Wet hair, lather up and rinse clean. Follow up with any OUAI conditioner to soften your squeaky clean strands.
- OUAI (or “way”) means yes in that casual, Parisian way. We believe in effortless routines and good for you ingredients. Haircare customized to your hair type to nourish, strengthen and condition. Giving you the confidence to win life your OUAI.
- INGREDIENTS THAT GET THE JOB DONE. All OUAI products are carefully crafted to cut styling time and nourish your hair health. We put the good stuff in and leave the bad stuff out, without ever sacrificing quality. We are always trying to do better for the planet.
- FOR REAL LIFE, FOR REAL PEOPLE. Celebrity stylist Jen Atkin had used every product on the market but couldn’t find a brand she or her friends could relate to. OUAI offers luxury products at affordable prices that are user friendly- no glam squad needed.
6. Kenra Clarifying Shampoo | Deep Cleansing | All Hair Types
- Brightens highlighted, bleached, or gray hair
- Maintains the look and feel of healthy hair for individuals using hard water and well water
- Color safe
- This product does not contain Parabens, not tested on animals
- Directions: Massage into wet hair, add water to lather. Rinse and repeat if necessary.
7. Kristin Ess Hair Deep Clean Clarifying Shampoo for Build Up, Dirt and Oil on Hair and Scalp, Cleanse + Detox Oily Hair, Vegan, 10 fl oz
- “Sometimes you just need a fresh start. This clarifying shampoo removes mineral deposits, product buildup, excess oils, and even silicones that can build up over time. Use this when needed to get a deeper clean.” – Kristin Ess
- Cleanse + Condition: A clean, well-conditioned canvas is essential. These universal products cleanse + deeply condition to leave hair feeling moisturized, full and looking shiny from root to tip.
- For all hair types, Buildup removing, Purifying + volumizing, Shine enhancing, Mineral detoxifying, Super sudsing
- How To: Depending on the thickness of your hair, squeeze a dime to quarter-sized amount of shampoo into your palm. Apply to wet hair, massaging into the scalp to create a rich lather. Add more shampoo if desired. Rinse thoroughly and repeat if necessary.
- Cruelty free + vegan, free of parabens, phthalates + silicones
8. Aussie Destress Clarifying Shampoo, Infused with Reing Mosa Mint and Australian Pepperberry, Fresh, 10.1 Fl Oz
- TextoStart Fresh, no stress: give your hair Its cleanest clean, then wish you’d found this shampoo sooner
- Buildup be Gone: removes all your missteps, I.E., too much Hair Spray, lots of hair oil, and even that hair gel Whoops
- Lighten up: feel the weightless airiness of your new build-up free hair and feel your most free
- Australian ingredients: Infused with refreshing Mosa Mint and Australian pepperberry
- Out with the bad: made to be PETA cruelty-free, Paraben-Free, dye- free, and gluten-free, so you can feel as good as your hair does
9. Nexxus Clean and Pure Clarifying Shampoo For Nourished Hair With ProteinFusion, Paraben-Free 13.5 oz
- CLARIFYING SHAMPOO: this lightweight, clarifying shampoo gently cleanses, leaving hair nourished and purified
- HYDRATING SHAMPOO: from the Clean & Pure hair care system, this hydrating shampoo has ProteinFusion, an exclusive blend of elastin protein and marine minerals for smooth and nourished hair
- HAIR DETOX: full of essential ingredients to replenish vital nutrients and recover hair’s natural shine, movement and moisture
- DETOXIFYING SHAMPOO FORMULA: made with no silicones, dyes and parabens, this shampoo is safe for even dull, dry or damaged hair
- THE SCIENCE OF PROTEIN: born in salons and perfected by science, each Nexxus hair care system is crafted with proteins extracted from nature’s most precious ingredients to nourish hair
- CLEAN AND PURE DETOX COLLECTION: this clarifying shampoo detoxes hair and locks in moisture, in just one easy step and goes great with our Clean and Pure Conditioner, Conditioning Foam, or Hair Oil
10. PROGIOVANNI Eco Chic 50:50 Balanced Hydrating Clarifying Shampoo – Leaves Hair pH Balanced for Over-Processed Hair, Provides Moisture & Protection, Salon Quality, No Parabens, Color Safe – 8.5 oz
- MOISTURIZING CLEANSER – Our hydrating shampoo infuses each strand of hair with a proprietary blend of vitamins, nutrients, and proteins to increase strength and vitality. Perfect for daily use in normal to dry hair types
- COLOR SAFE, DAMAGE CARE – Designed to protect over-worked, over-processed and color-treated hair while locking in color and shine. Your hair will be hydrated, moisturized and perfectly pH balanced
- EVERYDAY PH CONTROL – With Aloe Vera, Rosemary, and other Botanical Extracts contained in its formula, GIOVANNI 50:50 Balanced Hydrating-Clarifying Shampoo adds moisture and manageability to your hair while remaining gentle enough for everyday use
- VEGAN-FRIENDLY & CRUELTY-FREE – GIOVANNI products use a number of organic ingredients and are Leaping Bunny Certified cruelty free. GIOVANNI products are never tested on animals and come in sophisticated recyclable packaging
- ECO CHIC – GIOVANNI has been bridging the gap between natural and salon-quality hair care since 1979. We strive to use the very best ingredients and are always focused on high performance
The Benefits Of Clarifying Shampoo
There are a lot of different types of shampoo on the market, and it can be hard to know which one is right for your hair.
If you’re looking for a shampoo that will deeply cleanse your hair and remove built-up residue, clarifying shampoo is a great option.
Clarifying shampoo is formulated to gently remove dirt, oil, and product build-up from your hair. This can help to restore shine and body to limp, dull hair.
In addition, clarifying shampoo can also help to prevent scalp buildup, which can cause itchiness and irritation. If you’re looking for the best clarifying shampoo for your hair type, ask your stylist for a recommendation.
Is Clarifying Shampoo Worth It?
There are a lot of different hair care products on the market, and it can be tough to know which ones are worth the money. Clarifying shampoo is one product that has been getting a lot of buzz lately. But is it worth the hype?
Clarifying shampoo is designed to remove build-up from the hair. This build-up can come from a variety of sources, including styling products, environmental pollutants, and hard water.
It can help to restore shine and body to hair that has become dull and lifeless. In addition, it can help to prevent styling problems such as frizz and fly-aways.
If you are struggling with product build-up or your hair just isn’t looking its best, clarifying shampoo may be worth a try.
Just be sure to choose a reputable brand, as some clarifying shampoos can be harsh on the scalp.
Who Is Clarifying Shampoo For?
Many people are familiar with clarifying shampoo, but they may not be sure who it is best suited for. It is a good choice for people who use a lot of styling products or who have very oily hair.
It can also be helpful for people who live in hard water areas, as it can remove mineral deposits from the hair.
If you are unsure whether this product is right for you, talk to your stylist or consult a professional. They will be able to help you choose the best clarifying shampoo for your individual needs.
What Makes A Quality Clarifying Shampoo?
There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a clarifying shampoo.
Consider the following and you can be sure to choose the best clarifying shampoo for your needs.
Think about your hair type. If you have oily hair, you’ll want to look for a clarifying shampoo that contains ingredients like citrus or mint, which can help to control oil production.
If you have dry hair, on the other hand, you’ll want to avoid clarifying shampoos with harsh chemicals or sulfates, as these can further strip away moisture.
You may also want to look for clarifying shampoos that contain conditioning agents, such as glycerin or jojoba oil, to help offset any drying effects.
Frequency of use
Another thing to keep in mind is how often you need to clarifying shampoo. If you only clarifying shampoo once a week or so, then a gentle formula should suffice.
However, if you find yourself clarifying shampooing more frequently, then you’ll want to look for a stronger clarifying shampoo that can effectively remove build-up without stripping away too much natural oil.
The shampoo should be gentle enough for everyday use. It should also be effective at removing dirt, oil, and build-up without stripping your hair of its natural moisture.
Furthermore, the best clarifying shampoos will also contain ingredients that help to protect your hair from damage and keep it looking healthy. When searching for a clarifying shampoo, be sure to check the label carefully to ensure that it meets these criteria.
With a little effort, you can find a clarifying shampoo that will leave your hair looking and feeling its best.
How do you know if you need clarifying shampoo?
Anyone who has ever used clarifying shampoo knows that it is a powerful cleanser that can remove build-up from the scalp and hair.
But how do you know when it’s time to use a clarifying shampoo? In general, clarifying shampoo should be used once or twice a month to remove dirt, oil, and product build-up from the hair.
However, if you have hard water at home or swim often, you may need to use a clarifying shampoo more frequently. If your hair feels heavy, looks dull, or seems difficult to style, it may be time for a clarifying treatment.
Clarifying shampoo can also be helpful if you plan to use a new hair product or color your hair, as it will help to create a clean foundation for the new product or color. When shopping for clarifying shampoo, look for one that is sulfate-free and gentle enough for daily use.
Can clarifying shampoo help with hair loss?
The simple answer is yes. Clarifying shampoo can help to remove build-up from the scalp, which can then encourage hair growth.
In addition, clarifying shampoo can also help to remove any scalp irritants that might be contributing to hair loss. If you’re looking for the best clarifying shampoo to address hair loss, look for one that contains Zinc PCA.
This ingredient helps to regulate sebum production, which can in turn help to reduce inflammation and promote healthy hair growth.
Next, check out some curated lists you might enjoy: