Inkbox offers a unique product that finds the perfect middle ground between temporary and permanent tattoos. The brand delivers a patented semi-permanent tattoo technology that is applied by a self-service approach. Inkbox Tattoos offers two application methods that are safe, quick, and organic.
The following Inkbox review will guide you with an inside look into the brand and its product to ensure you make an informed purchase decision.
Overview of Inkbox
How good were the days when temporary tattoos were all the rage? I even distinctly recall the application process being just as fun as the result. As we got older though, permanent tattoos were the next step for some, while others were hesitant because of the consequences that followed. Regardless of your decision, I think we can all agree that permanent tattoos are long, expensive, and painful.
While there are many products and services such as Henna, Jagua, and of course, temporary and permanent tattoos, Inkbox offers semi-permanent tattoos and it’s already a game changer. My jaws dropped at their collection of over 4,000 designs and the available service for a customized piece. Their own community of artists have done a fantastic job; and whichever you decide on, the revolutionary method is quick, safe, and long-lasting.
The secret behind Inkbox Tatoos is in their patented semi-permanent technology that uses ink derived from a fruit found in the Darién Gap, Panama. I’ve got pretty sensitive skin, and if you’re like me, then you’ll feel at ease knowing that the skin-safe ingredient uses a plant-based formula that eliminates the use of any harsh chemicals.
Inkbox was founded by Toronto-based brothers, Tyler and Braden Handley in 2015. Praised by Forbes, MTV, and Vice, the brand is focused on self-expression through body art while developing a sustainable culture behind an innovate approach to temporary tattoos.
The company is also a part of the Darién Initiative which aims to help the Indigenous community in the Darién Gap, Panama. The project aims to generate a local market within the community by equipping locals with agricultural equipment to cultivate and sell produce. Inkbox also frequently helps with natural disaster efforts and has established a Town Centre for children to occupy their time with activities.
Check out the rest of our Inkbox Review for a breakdown on the features and benefits of their products. Below, you’ll find the pros and cons that summarizes their core values:
- 4,000+ designs with customized pieces available upon request
- Two available options for application with as little as 15 minutes required for the process
- Perfect for testing out a tattoo design before committing to a permanent one
- Waterproof to a certain extent
- Product is vegan-friendly and skin-safe with ingredients made from fruits with a plant-based formula
- Tattoos are semi-permanent offering the best between temporary and permanent tattoos; lasting for 1-2 weeks
- Inkbox is actively involved with their own community of artists, as well as Indigenous communities to develop a sustaining ecosystem
- Ships internationally
- Freehand ink takes quite a long time
- Water, especially saltwater, could lessen the longevity of tattoos
- Limited physical stores open in North America
- Return and exchange policies are quite restrictive regarding time allowance
How Does Inkbox Work?
I’ve found that Inkbox tattoos work well with all skin types. The ink itself comes from the Genipa American plant. As I’ve mentioned before in the Inkbox Review, the fruit found in the Darién Gap, Panama is used as part of the patented semi-permanent technology.
So, what exactly happens during the application process? For starters, the Inkbox seeps ink into the top layer of your skin. Depending on your natural organic compounds, the ink could be dark blue or black; everyone is different. Pretty crazy right? Continuing on, the ink sits within the top layer of the skin making it disappear over a period of time and leaves no traces behind.
Some key points to mention though is that you should avoid applying the Inkbox on areas with broken skin; and avoid reapplying a new Inkbox tattoo on the same location for at least a month. Furthermore, while the tattoos are generally waterproof, saltwater and exfoliating could loosen the longevity.
Is Inkbox Safe?
Absolutely. I get that dyeing your skin with ink can be a concern but Inkbox tattoos have been proven to be safe. The entire product is made with natural ingredients and all other materials are FDA approved. You can rest assure that the application process is harmless and that there are no harsh chemicals to be afraid of.
How to Apply Inkbox Tattoos
As I’ve briefly stated earlier in the Inkbox Review, there are two ways to apply your Inkbox tattoo. Below, I have laid out the steps for applying your tattoo whether you purchased the Catalog tattoo or the Freehand ink set:
- The set contains an alcohol wipe; gloves; cloth, instructions, and the Inkbox
- Wearing the gloves, slowly peel the white backing off the Inkbox
- Place the tattoo on a desired location with the sticky-side facing downwards
- Once placed, wipe the blue surface area with the alcohol wipe and make sure to dampen the entire area
- Tear the corner of the cloth bag open and microwave it for 10 seconds; alternatively, you can boil the cloth bag in hot water for 5 minutes
- Press the cloth bag down on the tattoo and apply even pressure for 15 minutes
- Slowly peel the Inkbox off in the direction that your hair grows
- Wait 5 minutes; then gently wash the area with soap and water
- Pat the area dry and make sure to moisturize to lengthen the longevity of the tattoo
- The tattoo will develop over the next 24-36 hours and will last 1-2 weeks
Freehand Ink Application
- Using a reference piece, slide the image beneath the transfer paper
- Trace the image with the pencil – the darker, the better
- Take a separate paper towel and dampen with water
- Dampen the desired area for which you wish to apply the tattoo
- Place the transfer paper onto your skin and apply even pressure
- Slowly remove the transfer paper and the image should be marked on your skin
- Squeeze and apply the ink bottle by tracing the outlines of the image
- Let the ink set in for 1-hour and then gently wash the area with soap and water
- Pat the area dry and make sure to moisturize to lengthen the longevity of the tattoo
- Alternatively, you may also just purchase the freehand ink bottle and draw freestyle by directly applying the ink onto your skin
How Long Do Inkbox Tattoos Last?
Whether you decided to get crazy and creative and used the Freehand ink method, or the Catalog pre-sets, the Inkbox tattoos last between 1-2 weeks. I find that the length of time is perfect before deciding on a permanent tattoo, or you just want to switch up the designs. In either case, these semi-permanent tattoos are a great way to express yourself through their beautiful designs.
Okay, so if temporary tattoos are usually less then $5 and permanent tattoos can cost a minimum of approximately $50, how much are semi-permanent tattoos from Inkbox? The answer varies depending on the design and size you get. However, to be honest, the quality of Inkbox tattoos are rich and they last longer. For your convenience, below are the general prices you can expect:
Maybe you’re thinking of a bigger tattoo to have it stand out a little more, or perhaps you want a small tattoo as a daily reminder. Whatever you fancy, Inkbox designs come in seven sizes ranging from 0.5 to 5 inches. With the availability of so many sizes, you can make sure everyone reads your favorite quote or hide your own custom design from your parents. Don’t worry, it’s only semi-permanent remember?
Where to Buy Inkbox?
As of this moment, Inkbox has a few locations open for business in North America. As a Torontonian, I’m thrilled to announce that the Toronto-based company has two great locations right here in the city. Americans can also make their way to their pop-up shop in Las Vegas. As for international customers, unfortunately, the brand has not opened to markets outside North America. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if the company opens more locations around the world in the future.
- Queen St. West
379 Queen St. West
Toronto, ON M5V 2A4
- Stackt Market
Unit 2-106, 28 Bathurst St.
Toronto, ON M5V 0C6
The Linq Promenade, Las Vegas
3545 S Las Vegas Blvd L7-B
Las Vegas, NV
If you can’t physically get to a retail store as mentioned above in the Inkbox Review, don’t fret. As the products are self-applied, the brand’s entire offering is available online. You can browse through the thousands of designs and take your pick. Check out their site here.
Is Inkbox Available on Amazon?
My search has shown that the brand is carried on Amazon! Offerings by Inkbox are certified as Amazon’s Choice. The platform is another great option to find some cheaper deals, and to get sweet semi-permanent tattoos delivered to your door. Just make sure you buy products offered by Inkbox, since you could run into some issues with questionable knock offs.
Inkbox Deals, Coupons, and Discounts
I’ve scoured the internet and managed to find a few Inkbox discount codes for your convenience. The brand does offer their own sales and discounts, but the following Inkbox promo codes are great for additional savings. For now, the following Inkbox coupons are the best deals that the brand has to offer:
- Inkbox currently offers BOGO deal where you can buy one, and get one for 50% off
- Inkbox currently has a 15% student discount that requires registration with Student Beans to verify your status
- Inkbox currently offers $10 off orders for new customers
- Inkbox currently offers free $100 tattoos with an email sign-up
- Inkbox currently offers 25% off two custom tattoos
- Receive $5 off your order with the following Inkbox discount code: 5off
- Receive 20% off your order with the following Inkbox discount code: INKED20
Inkbox ships worldwide. All requests, fees, and processes are subject to change depending on the location, value, and condition of purchase orders. For your convenience, here’s a breakdown of their policy:
- Standard: $5-9 or free for orders over $32 with 3-5 business days for delivery
- Standard: $3 or free for orders over $32 with 3-5 business days for delivery
- Priority: $7.50 with 2-3 business days for delivery
- Standard: $9 or free for orders over $39 with 7-15 business days for delivery
Other Important Details
- Ensure tracking number is received upon placing orders
- Non-custom design for North American orders may take approximately 2-3 business days to prepare before shipping
- Custom designs for North American orders may take approximately 8-15 days to prepare before shipping
- Custom designs for International orders may take 15-20 business days to prepare before shipping
Exchange & Return Policy
Inkbox offers a flexible exchange and return policy. All requests, fees, and processes are subject to change depending on the location, value, and condition of purchase orders. For your convenience, here’s a breakdown of their process and policy:
- Enter full name and 6 or 7-digit order number
- Name of product and quantity
- Short description for reason
- Enter email and 6 or 7-digit order number
- Select item and choose return reason with quantity
- Select refund or credit and payment method
- Returns are currently unavailable for international orders
Other Important Details
- Refunds can take up to 10 business days
- Customers are eligible for a full refund within 30 days from the day it was shipped; original product must be kept intact
- Any applicable shipping charges will not be refunded
- Inquiries after 30 days will be refunded with store credit
- Customers are not eligible for refunds for orders after 90 days
- The brand does not allow for returns on Freehand Ink products and services, custom designs, e-gift cards, and sale items
- Product defects or application errors may be eligible for a one-time resend or store credit at the brand’s discretion
For more information, inquiries, and services, the customer service team can be reached by email, webchat, phone, or in-person as mentioned above in the Inkbox Review:
- Email: [email protected]
- Online Help Center Forum: https://intercom.help/Inkbox-tattoos/en/
- Webchat (scroll to the bottom and click Contact Us): https://Inkbox.com/
- Canadian Head Office:
393 King St. West
Toronto, ON M5V 3G8