Table of Contents
Mirror creates a stylish, cutting-edge fitness product: an interactive video screen that provides home workout instruction and functions as a mirror when not in use, seamlessly integrating into your home decor. Mirror has established itself as a leading brand in the at-home fitness industry.
This Mirror review will focus on the product’s exercise program and the Mirror gym interface. By examining the product’s physical specifications, settings, payment options, and instruction elements, we’ll give you the info you need to decide whether this is the fitness fit for your personal lifestyle.
Mirror was founded by Brynn Putnam, a Harvard graduate and dancer with the New York City Ballet, who first found entrepreneurial success by creating the Refine Method exercise studio chain in 2010.
Putnam created Mirror in 2016, and it quickly attracted a number of celebrity customers, including Ellen DeGeneres and Jennifer Aniston.
The smart Mirror workout system has been featured in publications like The Wall Street Journal, Vogue, and Business Insider, which grew the brand’s profile massively. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Putnam sold Mirror Co to Lululemon in a $500 million deal and continues to manage the brand as a subsidiary of its new parent company.
At present, Mirror enables subscribers to take fitness lessons and try out a variety of workouts from their home.
Customers can also engage in group meditation sessions and book private sessions with personal trainers. In the future, Putnam wants to develop the product further to allow users to connect with wellness trainers, doctors, and more.
Why You Should Trust Us
Our mission is to help you make better, more informed purchase decisions.
Our team spends hours researching, consulting with medical experts, gathering insight from expert professionals, reviewing customer feedback, and analyzing products to provide you with the information you need.
Pros & Cons
Is the Mirror workout worth it? It sounds great so far, but it’s time to take a deep dive into the product’s technical details, short-term and long-term costs, and the features that set it apart from a standard video workout with the pros and cons:
- Convenience: The Mirror allows you to work out from the comfort of your own home, eliminating the need to commute to a gym or fitness studio. It offers a wide variety of workout classes, including cardio, strength training, yoga, and more, that can be accessed anytime, making it convenient for busy schedules.
- Interactive and Engaging: The Mirror provides a highly interactive and engaging workout experience. It features a large display that streams live and on-demand workout classes, and it uses technology to track your movements and provide real-time feedback. This interactive element can help keep you motivated and engaged during workouts.
- Versatility: The Mirror offers a diverse range of workout classes for different fitness levels and goals. Whether you’re a beginner or an advanced exerciser, you can find classes tailored to your needs. The variety of workouts available ensures that you can continually challenge yourself and avoid workout plateaus.
- Space-saving Design: Unlike traditional workout equipment that takes up a significant amount of space, the Mirror is a compact device that hangs on your wall. It serves as both a functional fitness tool and a stylish mirror when not in use, making it ideal for those with limited space at home.
- Cost: The Mirror workout system comes with a higher upfront cost compared to traditional gym memberships or workout equipment. In addition to the initial purchase price, there is also a monthly subscription fee to access the workout classes. This cost may be prohibitive for some individuals.
- Internet and Subscription Dependence: The Mirror relies on a stable internet connection to stream the workout classes. If your internet connection is unreliable or if there are technical issues with the device, it may disrupt your workout experience. Additionally, ongoing access to the workout classes is dependent on maintaining an active subscription.
The Mirror workout is an interactive fitness system that combines a reflective mirror with on-demand workout classes. Here are some key features of The Mirror:
- Reflective Display: The Mirror itself functions as a reflective display when not in use for workouts. It resembles a sleek, full-length mirror that can blend seamlessly into your home decor.
- Live and On-Demand Classes: The Mirror offers a wide range of live and on-demand workout classes. These classes cover various fitness disciplines, including cardio, strength training, yoga, Pilates, boxing, barre, and more. Users can choose from a diverse library of classes to suit their preferences and fitness goals.
- Certified Instructors: The Mirror workout classes are led by certified instructors who guide and motivate users throughout their workouts. These instructors provide coaching, demonstrations, and modifications to accommodate different fitness levels.
- Interactive Workouts: The Mirror uses built-in camera technology and sensors to track your movements during workouts. This allows for interactive and real-time feedback on your form, technique, and performance. The Mirror’s display shows your reflection alongside the instructor, creating an immersive and interactive workout experience.
- Progress Tracking: The Mirror tracks your workout metrics, including heart rate, calories burned, and active time. This data helps you monitor your progress and stay motivated as you work towards your fitness goals. Some models of The Mirror also integrate with fitness trackers and smartwatches for seamless data syncing.
- Customizable Workouts: The Mirror allows users to personalize their workouts based on their preferences and goals. You can filter classes by duration, fitness level, workout type, and instructor. This customization ensures that you can find workouts that align with your specific needs and interests.
- Community and Challenges: The Mirror offers a community aspect where users can connect with others, join challenges, and share their progress. This social component adds a sense of accountability, support, and friendly competition to your fitness journey.
- Compact and Space-Saving Design: The Mirror is designed to be space-saving and compact. It can be easily mounted on a wall and takes up minimal space compared to traditional workout equipment. This makes it suitable for various living environments, including small apartments or home gyms with limited space.
- Integrated Audio: The Mirror includes built-in speakers that provide high-quality audio for your workout classes. This eliminates the need for additional speakers or headphones during your workouts.
- One Subscription for the Whole Household: The Mirror subscription allows multiple users in the same household to access the workout classes. Each user can have their own profile and track their individual progress within the system.
Recent Studies On Physical Activity
Improved cardiovascular health
- According to a 2018 study, regular exercise can help to improve heart health by strengthening the heart muscle, reducing blood pressure, and improving circulation.
Increased muscle strength and flexibility
- As reported by a 2017 study, exercise can help to build and maintain muscle mass, which can help to improve balance, coordination, and overall mobility. It can also help to improve flexibility and range of motion, reducing the risk of injury.
Reduced risk of chronic diseases
- According to a 2017 study, regular exercise can help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and certain types of cancer.
Improved cognitive function
- As per 2021 research findings, exercise has been shown to improve cognitive function and reduce the risk of cognitive decline in aging individuals.
Improved mental health
- As reported by a 2019 study, exercise can help to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression, improving overall mental health and well-being.
Increased social interaction
As per 2021 research findings, participating in group exercise classes or activities can provide opportunities for social interaction and help to reduce feelings of isolation and loneliness.
Mirror Fitness Subscription
Purchasing the physical Mirror is only step one of this workout program: you then have to buy a subscription to the exercise program in order to use it. (Although the display itself is a fancy-looking mirror that some people might happily fork over four figures to bring home with them.)
Buying the subscription unlocks all of the Mirror home gym capabilities, including a library of thousands of workout programs. The programs range from 5 minutes to 1 hour in length and include 50+ activities, from boxing to yoga.
Your subscription also allows you to schedule one-on-one sessions with a fitness instructor (at extra cost), utilizing the display’s high-quality camera and microphone.
Your workout Mirror can hold up to six user profiles, allowing every member of the household to track their stats, schedule workouts, and customize their exercise plan.
Mirror has also gamified their product with a competitive feature that lets you challenge your past self or other Mirror members to meet fitness goals. When you reach them or maintain a certain level of fitness, you are rewarded points on your profile.
The first month of your subscription will be charged when Mirror arrives. New buyers are automatically locked into a one-year subscription, with the option to shift to a month-by-month agreement after that initial term. Either way, the subscription costs $39/month.
How Much Is Mirror?
The Mirror costs $1,495 for the sleek 70lb visual display, and then $39 per month to access the library of workout programs and other features. There is normally a $250 fee for delivery and installation, however now you can get this free as part of Mirror’s special offer.
That is the base cost to use the product, but there are other bonus features and services available. If you want to move your Mirror within your home after installation, the brand offers step-by-step installation videos to help you through the process, but they recommend using their professional service for a flat $150 fee to protect against damage.
For a short-distance move from one residence to another, Mirror will uninstall, transfer, and install your Mirror at the new location for $250.
Moves of over 50 miles from where the Mirror was originally installed cost $300 and involve packaging your Mirror for transit; note that this fee does not cover the cost of actually moving your Mirror.
As to the extra features of the system itself, subscribers can book one-on-one lessons with a personal trainer using the 5-megapixel camera and microphone.
They can help you develop a Mirror workout plan, guide you through a workout, and give you tips on how to improve. No matter what kind of exercise or trainer you select, the cost remains the same at $40 per session.
Mirror has partnered with Affirm to give you the option of paying the upfront cost through regular installments, subject to qualification.
You can choose a 12-, 24-, or 36-month plan; the lowest per-month rate is $42. This does not include the Mirror membership of $39/month, which begins on the day your Mirror is delivered.
We should also inform you that the Mirror membership begins with a default one-year subscription. After that time, you can opt for a month-by-month membership plan.
Can The Mirror Workout See You?
The Mirror is equipped with a 5-megapixel camera, microphone, and Bluetooth technology that allows your Mirror trainer to see you during your one-on-one workout. This lets them guide you through exercise programs, correct mistakes, and encourage you to reach new levels of personal achievement.
Mirror assures buyers that the camera and microphone are only enabled during one-on-one training sessions. But you can also turn on the Community Camera during a live group workout to interact with friends, family, or other Mirror members for encouragement and social connection.
The Mirror also comes with a cover that blocks the camera from potentially capturing video when you don’t want it to. To put it simply, the Mirror can see you only when you want it to see you—you are in control.
Can You Move The Mirror Workout?
Yes! After installation, the Mirror workout can be moved to any room in your house.
While it may be capable of fitting inside a hallway storage closet, this Mirror workout review highly recommends placing it in an open space so that you don’t hit anything when you hop from side to side or make dynamic movements with your arms and legs.
One limitation to moving the Mirror is that it weighs 70 lbs, so while it’s not impossible to move, you do have to be careful. It’s also a sleek and elegant-looking conversation piece unto itself, so you wouldn’t want to scuff or damage it.
To be extra safe, get another physically capable person to help you move the Mirror if you plan to do it yourself. That way you can handle stairs and other potentially difficult maneuvers more easily.
You also need to think about how you want to secure your Mirror after you’ve got it to the desired location. If you want to hang it on your wall, you should set up the wall mount in advance.
If you went for the carbon steel stand instead, then your Mirror will be more mobile, allowing you to shift it to other rooms in your home.
Can You Use Mirror Without A Subscription?
You will require a subscription in order to access the Mirror exercise catalog of guided workout programs. But rest assured that you’re not paying that subscription for a status quo service: the Mirror team is hard at work adding new features and fitness routines, and they also offer live lessons on a weekly basis.
Going into the details of the exercise program catalog, this Mirror workout review is pleased to say that there are over 50 types of workouts, including boxing, pilates, stretching, and even dance. There are then thousands of programs across those genres, ranging from 5-minute burst exercises to full 60-minute strength-training sessions.
Mirror has made thousands of fitness programs for their subscribers to follow. No matter your level of fitness or activity preferences, you will find something at the right level of physical activity and engagement.
How Does Mirror Work?
Mirror is cutting-edge technology that connects you with the best-verified trainers for world-class fitness lessons and guidance. When it is not activated, it functions as a museum-quality mirror that will add a touch of class to any home interior.
Using your Mirror requires both a monthly subscription and the use of a phone app (available for Apple and Android devices).
The Mirror itself is not a touchscreen display, but you can connect to one-on-one training sessions through the embedded camera and microphone. Additionally, you can synchronize your Mirror to speakers or headphones through Bluetooth.
Mirror’s Bluetooth capability also extends to heart-rate monitors, Apple Watches, and other smart technology. This can provide up-to-date feedback on your physical condition to the Mirror display, integrating it with your workout.
Who Is Mirror For?
The Mirror workout is designed for individuals who prefer to exercise at home and want a convenient and interactive fitness experience. It caters to a wide range of users with different fitness levels, interests, and goals
Mirror Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
The Mirror website shows us that the product has a 4.9/5-star rating as of June 2023. Customers say that it is a great workout motivator for people who are stuck inside all day or don’t want to deal with inclement weather.
One verified Mirror customer from Houston writes on the site that, “Due to all the rain we’re getting I could not go walking and I lost my motivation to workout inside a long time ago. With the Mirror, my motivation is back and better than ever. I sometimes do two videos a day; a Live and a Recorded one. It’s pretty cool. Best purchase ever!”
Another huge selling point is the massive catalog of workout options, which provides something for every level of fitness and workout experience. One beginner-level user raved about the ease and accessibility of the fitness routines:
“I love it!! The classes are awesome; so many to choose from and the different levels of difficulty are very helpful! I am just starting out so it’s really good to be able to choose; it helps me to not feel overwhelmed. The instructors are excellent! They really give good demonstrations so it makes it easy to follow along!”
For this Mirror workout review, we also tracked down in-depth reviews of the brand in notable media outlets. The reviewer at PC was particularly impressed by the Mirror’s compact size and the easy fit into her home geography:
“Living in a small New York City apartment, I don’t have much space for fitness equipment. While you still need to allocate enough room to comfortably complete the workouts, one of the best things about the Mirror is that it doesn’t take up a ton of space like the Peloton Bike or Tread do….It takes up as much wall real estate as your average floor mirror.”
An in-depth New York Times review concluded that the carefully curated workout catalog and semi-replication of the live-gym experience was the major strength of the Mirror:
“Solid programming, thoughtful details, and a nearly seamless user experience could help keep the Mirror from becoming a connected-fitness blip….Each class I took [was] engaging and well paced. Exercise choices felt logical and purposeful, and the instructors routinely addressed form considerations, encouraging class participants to use the mirror to check positioning.”
Other major news outlets love the Mirror too: it was named one of Time Magazine’s best inventions of the year, while Vogue dubbed it “the wellness industry’s most game-changing device yet.”
Along with the glowing customer reviews, these words of praise from the pros convince this Mirror workout review that the Mirror is an amazing product well worth buying.
Is Mirror Worth It?
There’s no doubt that Mirror is a great home fitness product. It is endorsed by some of the biggest celebrities in the world, several of the most notable magazines and newspapers, and thousands of subscribers as a major and worthwhile product.
While the upfront price tag may seem hefty, it can be broken down into regular installments through Affirm (although you must first qualify for the program).
After that, the subscription fee is relatively low at $39/month. Plus, it comes with a 30-day Mirror home trial period, so if you decide you don’t want to keep it you can easily return it for a full refund. All that to say that this device is so worth it.
Mirror Promotions & Discounts
There is a great promotion running at the time of this Mirror workout review: Get $100 off plus free delivery and installation ($350 value) with the purchase of a Mirror.
Sign Up For Mirror
Signing up for Mirror is easy. Follow the steps below and you’re golden:
1. Go to mirror.co/shop/mirror and add the Mirror to your cart
2. Go to checkout and apply any available discount codes
3. Enter your delivery information
4. Provide your payment information and complete the order
The most important thing about exercise (besides proper technique) is to be consistent. It pays to find the right kind of exercise that gets you moving as often as possible. With that in mind, here are a few more options to explore:
- Tonal: Tonal is an all-in-one home gym system that offers personalized strength training workouts using digital weights. It features a sleek design with a large interactive screen and offers a wide variety of exercises and training programs led by expert coaches.
- Peloton: Peloton offers a range of connected fitness products, including their popular Peloton Bike and Peloton Tread. With live and on-demand classes, Peloton provides interactive workouts for cycling, running, strength training, yoga, and more.
- Tempo: Tempo is an AI-powered home gym that combines strength training with personalized coaching. It includes a freestanding cabinet with built-in weights and a large screen that guides you through workouts, tracks your form, and provides real-time feedback.
Does the Mirror ship internationally?
Mirror does not ship internationally overseas. However, at the time of this review, it is available in the US and Canada.
Can the Mirror be returned?
Yes! We found that you can return your exercise Mirror within 30 days for a full refund. This offer is applied to every customer who has not previously done a trial and has just purchased their first Mirror (so it doesn’t apply if you buy more than one).
If you don’t like your Mirror, the brand will refund the cost of the physical device, the first subscription payment, any costs associated with delivery and shipping, as well as taxes. To initiate a return, contact the Mirror customer support team.
How to Contact Mirror
You can reach out to Mirror by calling the brand’s support team at 888-288-1588, or reach Mirror online by emailing the company at [email protected].
Looking for more workout programs and training options? Check out these popular brands:
For convenient and healthy meal options, check out Weight Watchers.