Smart Nora Review
Table of Contents
About Smart Nora
There are over 90 million Americans snore, that’s almost a third of the population of the US. It’s a big number, but the only number of snorers that really matter is how many are in your bedroom. If the answer is more than zero, it’s too many. Smart Nora is a contact-free device that claims it is a ‘solution’ to snoring. This Smart Nora review will let you know if it’s all it’s cracked up to be.
Overview of Smart Nora
Smart Nora is actually two devices: one sits above your head and one under your pillow. The device on your headboard listens for the sounds we make before we start snoring loudly. When it does, the device under your pillow gently inflates to stop your snoring before it wakes you—or your partner—up.
Smart Nora is based out of Toronto and boasts a small, but growing, team of engineers, designers, and scientists. They are a tech startup that, unsurprisingly considering their mission, has a focus on employee health and happiness. Their workplace culture has even been featured in the MaRS “Top Startup Series.”
What separates Nora from other snoring solutions is movement. Other “stop snoring” apps use quiet sound and music to gently wake the snorer, but Smart Nora physically moves you to bring you out of a snoring state. This sounds annoying, and it is at first if you’re a light sleeper, but after a few nights you get used to it.
Smart Nora was a Kickstarter success. Since then, they have grown quickly and have been featured on multiple news programs and sites— even Oprah loves them! Smart Nora snoring reviews are very positive. Even the occasional one-star Smart Nora review mentions that, though the system didn’t work for them, the customer service was excellent and honored the company’s generous return policy.
For this Smart Nora review, we’ll get explore both the benefits and downsides to the snoring solution:
- Pleasing design: Smart Nora doesn’t look like a high-tech gadget. The “pebble” looks like a big egg and takes up about as much space as a phone charger. The inflation device and the pump it connects to are covered in a nice grey fabric that looks like wool.
- Unobtrusive: The pebble can be placed anywhere, as long as it’s close enough to the snorer to hear them. The pump can be hidden under the bed or behind a bedside table.
- The physical movement element is very different from every other snoring solutions we’ve seen. If you haven’t found a solution for snoring, this could be it!
- Travel: the whole system fits inside the box that also holds the pump, so it can easily fit into a suitcase.
- Non contact: Smart Nora has nothing that physically touches you, unlike other treatments like dental appliances and nose strips. If you don’t want something in your mouth while you sleep, Smart Nora could be for you.
- No matter how small and nicely designed the device is, it’s still taking up space—and a power outlet—next to your bed.
- The system isn’t for everyone: the occasional Smart Nora review mentions that the device just doesn’t work for them, for a variety of reasons.
- It’s pricey: the whole device costs over $300, but like any electronic device, could easily last for years.
How Does Smart Nora Work?
Smart Nora comes in three pieces—the pebble, the inflating bag, and the pump—and all three arrive at your house in a nice soft case with a fold-over top wrapped in grey fabric.
- The Pebble is a small device about the same size and shape as a computer mouse. This is how Smart Nora ‘listens’ to your breathing to detect when you’re about to start snoring. The underside of the pebble has a few buttons for adjusting the sensitivity of the microphone: low sensitivity if your room is noisy or you sleep with a white noise machine or sleep aid, high sensitivity if your room is quiet. The pebble has a battery that’s good for 24 hours, or a power cord that connects it to the pump. It has a bluetooth connection to the pump so there’s no need for a data cable. You can mount the Pebble over your head, on your headboard, or lay it on your bedside table.
- The Pump is contained in the soft case and can sit anywhere near the pebble, but preferably tucked away under your bed or behind a bedside table. The pump has an AC power adapter that connects to a wall socket, which also powers and charges the Pebble. The pump has a small control panel that lets you set how much the bag inflates, from low to high. This is up to personal preference.
- The Inflating Bag fits under your pillow. It is connected to the pump by a thin, clear plastic tube. When the Pebble detects your snoring, it gently inflates the bag to ‘rock’ your pillow and knock you out of a snoring state and into a non-storing sleep stage. The bag inflates into a tube shape. The amount it inflates depends on the setting, from one to four inches for low to high.
Smart Nora Sleep Study
SleepScore Labs conducted a validation study on Sleep Nora to verify how effective the product really was in helping people stop snoring and get better sleep. Over 50 participants helped scientists gather 527 nights worth of data.
The study found the following:
|For Snorers||For Partners|
|20% increased ability to sleep through the night||31% increased ability to sleep through the night|
|30% felt more rested when they woke up||33% felt more rested|
|38% woke up less||30% felt their sleep was less disrupted|
|52% got out of bed less for any reason|
How Much is Smart Nora?
The Smart Nora snoring solution isn’t cheap—the unit costs $359.99. At the time of this review, there is a discounted price of $329.99. Smart Nora calls this discount their “Winter Savings.”
They have a financing plan available through Afirm that offers monthly payment plans:
- $113.32 a month for 3 months
- $58.09 a month for 6 months
- $30.51 a month for 12 months
All payment plans are at 20% APR.
They also offer a 30-day, risk-free trial. Many customer reviews mention this free trial period as a positive: even if the product doesn’t work for you, you can get your money back quickly and easily.
Smart Nora Review: What Customers Think
Customers can leave a Smart Nora review on the company website. Reviews are overwhelmingly positive with over 800 5-star reviews. Many of the reviews mention they were initially skeptical of the product and that it exceeded their expectations. Lots of reviewers say they have tried many different types of snoring aids and none have worked until Smart Nora.
The less-glowing reviews say that the product just didn’t work for them, but have nothing bad to say about its build quality. Many of these low-star reviews, even most of the 1-star reviews, emphasize the excellent customer service and how easy it was for the customers to get their money back, due to Smart Nora’s 30-day guarantee.
Some reviewers mention there is a learning curve to get used to the movement of the pillow, but almost all report that it gets better. One Smart Nora review mentions they had a faulty base, but that the company sent them a new one quickly. An Australian customer reports their unit didn’t come with an Australian power adapter, though other common power adapters are packaged in the box.
One negative Smart Nora Amazon review has an interesting issue: the customer can’t keep the inflation device under their pillow. This is something to consider if you have smaller pillows, are a “pillow hugger”, or move around a lot in your sleep.
External reviews are positive, too, with professional reviews and bloggers praising the effectiveness of the unit, the quality of the build, and the excellent customer service. The common negative aspect of in each positive Smart Nora review is the price.
Is Smart Nora Worth It?
If you’re suffering from sleep deprivation, there is truly no price to put on relief. Lack of sleep can lead to a great number of health problems at any age. If you’ve tried other stop snoring aids that haven’t worked for you, the Smart Nora snoring solution could be what you’ve been waiting for.
If you’re suffering from more serious sleep disorders, like sleep apnea, you should see a doctor. There is no Smart Nora sleep apnea setting or treatment.
The feedback on the system has been very positive and, even if the system doesn’t work for everyone, almost every review we read discussed how great Smart Nora’s customer service is and how easy it was to get a refund. If you’re struggling with snoring, or sleep with someone who does, we can’t see a reason not to at least try Smart Nora out.
Smart Nora Promotions & Discounts
As we mentioned earlier, the current (as of the time of this review in February 2020) Smart Nora coupon is a “Winter Deal” of $30 off the usual price, bringing the total to $329.99. There is no Smart Nora discount code at the moment.
Where to Buy Smart Nora
The Smart Nora website has a buy option right on the front page. This is also where the $30 Winter Deal is applicable, as well as the financing options that are available at 20% APR.
Smart Nora has a product page on Amazon but is listed as “currently unavailable” at the time of this review.
Smart Nora offers free shipping internationally, 3-5 days after you place your order.
They do not ship to PO boxes.
As we’ve stated many times in this Smart Nora review, the company has an excellent 30-day, risk-free return policy. Many reviewers mention the company’s exceptional customer service and the ease with which dissatisfied customers were able to secure refunds.
Should you need to send your Smart Nora back to the company, shipping is free for that, too.
Contact Smart Nora
Smart Nora has a live chat feature on their website. You can submit an email request by filling out an online form. They also have an active social media presence on Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook.
Looking to completely transform your sleep? Check out our review of the Top 5 Best Mattresses available online.
For a more affordable anti-snoring option, learn all about Vitalsleep.