Solo Stove Review
Table of Contents
About Solo Stove
Solo Stove is a portable low-smoke fire pit and camping stove brand offering pits, grills, and portable camp stoves.
Camping in natural areas such as national parks is an important social activity and provides a way of reconnecting with nature to achieve personal, social, and health benefits.
Jeff Jan founded Solo Stove in Texas in 2011, giving the brand a mantra of “create good.” Solo Stove portable fire pits, camp stoves, grills, and accessories are designed to help you get in touch with what feels “good” to you.
Catering to adventurers, outdoorsmen, camp enthusiasts, and lovers of a good old fire, SoloStove is applauded for its versatile designs and environmentally friendly benefits.
Disposing of propane cylinders is a problem for parks and wilderness areas. With Solo Stove products, you can enjoy propane-free wood-burning fires that are carbon-neutral and require very little fuel.
The Solo fire pit brand is also behind Project Good, a charitable initiative that gives back to the community by connecting with teachers, first responders, and parents.
In this Solo Stove review, I will explore all aspects of the brand and its products, also including customer ratings, promotions, and more to help you decide if their stoves are worth buying.
Why You Should Trust Us
Our mission is to help you make better, more informed purchase decisions. Our team spends hours researching, consulting with medical experts, gathering insight from expert professionals, reviewing customer feedback, and analyzing products to provide you with the information you need.
Pros and Cons
Whether you enjoy a cozy fire, a hot sip of coffee while camping, or a bite into a s’more, Solo Stove has something for you. My Solo Stove review will now go over the brand’s pros and cons.
- Various stainless steel fire pits, grills, and camp stoves to choose from
- Highly efficient and portable
- Minimal smoke
- Rewards program: 100 points equal $1. Solo Stove offers multiple ways to redeem points.
- Instalment payment options available with Sezzle
- International shipping
- Free shipping on all U.S. orders
- Free U.S. returns
- 30-day return policy
- Lifetime warranty
- Issues with defective or malfunctioning stoves, rusting, and removing ash from wood
These are some features that make Solo Stove products stand out from the rest of the competition:
- Efficient combustion: Solo Stove utilizes a unique design that creates a secondary combustion, allowing for a more complete burn of the wood and producing less smoke and ash.
- Lightweight and portable: Solo Stove is designed to be lightweight and compact, making it easy to carry with you on camping trips or other outdoor adventures.
- Durable construction: Solo Stove is made of high-quality stainless steel, which is both durable and resistant to rust and corrosion.
- Easy to use: Solo Stove is easy to set up and use, and requires no fuel other than wood.
- Minimal cleanup: Due to the efficient combustion of wood, Solo Stove produces very little ash, making cleanup quick and easy.
- Versatile: Solo Stove can be used for cooking or simply for providing warmth and ambiance.
- Environmentally friendly: Solo Stove produces very little smoke and uses wood, a renewable and sustainable fuel source, making it an environmentally friendly choice for outdoor cooking and heating.
How To Use Solo Stove
It’s important to remember that Solo Stove is designed for outdoor use only and should never be used indoors or in an enclosed space. Always follow proper safety precautions when using any type of fire or heating source.
Using Solo Stove is relatively simple and straightforward. Here are the steps to follow when starting a fire:
- Select a safe and suitable location: Choose a level, non-flammable surface to place your Solo Stove. Keep it away from any flammable materials or structures and ensure there is enough space around it for airflow.
- Gather firewood: Collect dry and seasoned firewood that is no thicker than the diameter of the Solo Stove’s burn chamber. Softwoods such as pine, spruce, or fir are recommended for easier lighting.
- Prepare the Solo Stove: Remove the cooking ring and set it aside. Then, place the firewood in the burn chamber, stacking it in a vertical orientation. Light the firewood at the top using a lighter or match.
- Allow the fire to establish: The fire will take a few minutes to establish. As the firewood burns, you will notice a secondary combustion taking place, which will help reduce smoke and increase efficiency.
- Add more wood as needed: As the firewood burns down, add more pieces as needed. Be sure to add only small pieces to avoid overfilling the burn chamber.
- Cook or enjoy the warmth: Once the fire has established, you can use the cooking ring to place a pot or pan on top of the stove for cooking. Alternatively, you can simply enjoy the warmth and ambiance of the fire.
- Extinguish the fire: When you are done using the Solo Stove, allow the fire to burn down completely. Then, use water to extinguish any remaining embers and ash, and dispose of them safely.
6 Solo Stove Bestsellers
Whether you are in the market for a backyard bonfire, or a small burner for hiking and camping, Solo has designed something convenient for you. My Solo Stove review will now go through the brand’s best-selling fire pits, grills, burners, and tools.
As with any fire-wielding product, use in a well-ventilated space with no overhangs and keep in mind that Solo Stoves offers Sezzle payment plans for the majority of their products.
Solo Stove Ranger Review
Solo Stove’s Ranger is the smallest pit the brand has to offer and is advertised as the world’s most portable fire pit weighing only 15lbs!
This small but mighty pit measures 13″ W(top), 12.5″H, and 15″ W(base). Unlike other Solo Stoves, this pit can handle chunk wood as well as 4-6 logs up to 12″ long.
Ideal for backyards, cottages, or campsites, the Ranger is normally $269, but is currently on sale for $199.
Solo Stove Bonfire Review
The Bonfire is one of the brand’s top-selling items and can be classified as their “medium” sized pit.
Measuring 17.5″ W (top), 14″ H, and 19.5″ W (base), this pit is only 20lbs and can hold 4-6 logs up to 16″ long. Top up as necessary!
Say goodbye to collecting logs, kindling the fire, and hoping it doesn’t flame out. The Bonfire is on sale for $259, down from the regular price of $349.
Solo Stove Yukon Review
This Solo Stove Yukon fire pit is the this “biggest, baddest” pit the brand provides. With a 23″W (top), 16″H, and 27″W(base), you can expect this pit to weigh 38lbs.
Be advised not to use more than 8-10 logs that are larger than 22″ long in this pit. The Yukon is $599, but is currently on sale for $469.
Solo Stove Campfire Review
The Campfire stove could be accurately described as a Solo grill. Cook sausages, hot dogs, patties, and marshmallows using nothing but sticks, leaves, and twigs as fuel.
This powerful stove cooks for 4 people, weighs only 2.2 pounds, and measures a wee 9.25″H and 7″W making it an easy cooking essential when camping.
The Campfire stove is on sale for $99, down from $149.
Solo Stove Lite Review
The Lite was the original Solo Stove that started it all. With the ability to boil water in under 10 minutes, this stove operates purely on twigs and sticks for fuel and cooks for 2 people.
The most lightweight of the Solo options, it weighs only 9oz and has a 4.25″ W and 5.7″ H for one of the most portable stoves you will ever own.
The Lite is normally $89, but it is currently on sale for $64.
Solo Stove Yukon Ultimate Bundle Review
The Yukon Ultimate Bundle has all you need to make the most of your Solo Stove Yukon and other products.
The bundle includes:
- The Yukon pit and Stand
- The Solo Stove Shield – a 2-piece ventilated lid that traps sparks and embers inside
- The Shelter – a weather-resistant cover that protects Yukon from the elements
- Fire pit tools: a 304 stainless steel angled poker and log grabber
- Roasting sticks: a 304 stainless steel 4-pack with 2 prongs and a handle per stick
The Yukon Ultimate Bundle comes for $869, down from $1124.
Solo Stove Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
To round out this Solo Stove review, I wanted to reveal what customers honestly think of the brand. However, I found it difficult to find substantial collective reviews regarding the brand.
For this reason, I’ll use customer reviews for individual products from varying sources to weigh of the brand is worth buying.
Bonfire came out on top as the most highly-recommended product from Solo Stove with customer reviews giving Bonfire 5/5 stars out of 4,500+ reviews.
In comparison, on sites such as Amazon customers rank Bonfire 4.7/5-stars out of nearly 1000 reviews. Overall, customers report being satisfied with the pit’s:
- Thoughtful design
- Lack of smoke
One glowing review from Amazon regarding this Solo Stove firepit complimented the versatility and portability:
“The Solo Stove Bonfire is the perfect outdoor fireplace. …We have a small yard, we can place it on a dirt patch at the far end, and we’re suddenly camping! This little guy only weighs 20 pounds, so we can also move it over to the tiled patio.”
Another positive review from the brand’s site applauded the Solo Stove smokeless fire pit feature:
“Our Bonfire fire pit has made gathering safely with friends outdoors possible this winter, even in Minnesota! Not only does it crank out huge amounts of heat, but there’s not all the smoke and sparks like normal fire pits that prevent you from cozying right up to them.”
The main complaints amongst negative reviews appear to be issues with ash, rusting, and customer service. According to some reviews, there is no easy way to remove the ash the stoves and pits create.
Is Solo Stove Worth It?
Is a Solo Stove worth it? To wrap up this Solo Stove review, I believe that yes, it is worth the buy. The brand designs innovative and beautifully crafted stainless steel stoves, fire pits, and grills.
These products are portable, versatile, and highly efficient. Although, Iacknowledges the complaints about removing ash which are annoying but are a minor issue. As with all things, practice makes perfect.
The more you use your item, the easier it will get to remove the ash. If you are worried about your Solo Stove rusting, the brand offers covers that protect against the elements, or simply bring your Solo products inside after use.
Lastly, the issues with customer service should be taken with a grain of salt. Trustpilot only had 17 negative reviews compared to the thousands on Amazon and the brand’s site that had a vastly positive majority.
Ultimately, if you love the outdoors, camping, and a good fire, I would strongly recommend this brand.
Who Is Solo Stove For?
Solo Stove was made for outdoor enthusiasts, campers, hikers, and anyone who enjoys spending time outdoors. Specifically, Solo Stove is for those who enjoy cooking and want to do so using natural and sustainable fuel sources, such as wood.
Solo Stove’s products are particularly useful for those who enjoy camping, backpacking, or hiking because they are lightweight, compact, and easy to transport. They are also suitable for backyard gatherings, picnics, and outdoor cooking at home.
If you’re not sold on Solo Stove, there are several alternatives to Solo Stove available in the market for outdoor wood-burning stoves. Here are a few popular options:
- BioLite FirePit: This wood-burning stove features a built-in fan that helps to increase combustion efficiency and reduce smoke. It also has a removable grill grate for cooking.
- Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove: This compact stove is made of stainless steel and is designed for backpacking and camping trips. It features a unique wind-resistant design and is easy to assemble.
- Lixada Camping Stove: This wood-burning stove is made of durable stainless steel and features a stable three-arm design. It’s designed for outdoor use and is lightweight and portable.
- TMS Portable Military Camping Wood Stove: This stove is made of heavy-duty steel and is designed for camping and outdoor use. It has a removable ashtray for easy cleaning and a damper for regulating airflow.
- Snow Peak Pack and Carry Fireplace: This wood-burning stove is made of stainless steel and features a collapsible design for easy portability. It also comes with a grill grate for cooking.
When selecting an alternative to Solo Stove, it’s important to consider factors such as size, weight, portability, fuel efficiency, and durability. Choose an option that best suits your needs and preferences for outdoor cooking and heating.
Solo Stove Promotions & Discounts
While there is no coupon code available at the time of this Solo Stove review, there is a sale! The brand is currently offering up to 25% off all fire pits!
The Rewards Program is also another great way to save money. For every dollar spent, you gain 100 points. You can use those points to get discounts toward purchases.
As a member, you also have access to free gear, deals and sales, and you gain points for referrals. Visit the “Rewards Program Details” section of the brand’s site to learn more!
Where to Buy Solo Stove
Go to the “Dealer Locator” section to find a list of retailers near you or place a Solo Stove Amazon order. However, for the best price and selection, shop on the official website: SoloStove.com.
Is Solo Stove made in the USA?
While doing my research for this Solo Stove review, I found out that the brand is based in Texas, but the stoves are manufactured in China.
Who owns Solo Stove?
Jeff Jan owns Solo Stove.
Is Solo Stove really smokeless?
The Solo Stove is nearly smokeless. In comparison to other fire pits, the smoke output is significantly lower.
Can you use a Solo Stove on a deck?
If you want to use a Solo Stove on a deck, it’s suggested to buy a Stand. The Stand will alleviate the Solo Stove so it won’t burn the wood.
Can you cook on a Solo Stove?
The bigger fire pits are not designed for cooking. If you want to cook on a Solo Stove, it’s suggested to buy the Lite, Titan, or Campfire.
Can you pour water on a Solo Stove?
Yes, you can pour water on a solo stove to extinguish the flame.
Can you use charcoal in a Solo Stove?
Solo Stove does not recommend using charcoal. Use wood for an optimal experience instead.
What happens if a Solo Stove gets wet?
If a Solo Stove gets wet, it will begin to rust. Bring it indoors when it rains, or use one of the brand’s stove covers.
How long does it take for a Solo Stove to cool down?
The Solo Stove will cool down within 30-40 minutes.
What is the biggest Solo Stove?
The Yukon is the biggest Solo Stove, so it can take on the biggest of jobs like keeping a whole family warm and roasting marshmallows in the woods.
The Alcohol Burner can take on smaller jobs like boiling a pot of instant soup or heating a skillet.
What is Solo Stove’s Shipping Policy?
Solo Stove ships worldwide and U.S. orders receive free shipping. The shipping fee, import fees, duties, and taxes are shown at checkout for international orders. Orders also include Solo Stove shipping insurance at no additional charge.
Estimated delivery times:
- Free standard shipping 3-5 business days
- USPS Priority: 1-3 business days
- UPS 2-day: 2 business days
- UPS 1-day: 1 business day
- FedEx International Ground Service: 3-6 business days
- USPS Priority Mail International (for rural locations): 6-10 business days
- USPS First Class Mail International Service: 10-30 business days
- USPS Priority Mail International: 6-10 business days
How do you return a Solo Stove?
There are free returns for all U.S. orders. If you’re not satisfied with the product, you have 30 days to return the item. The brand will provide you with a free pre-paid return label and issue a full refund.
Customers outside the US are not eligible for returns. If 30 days have passed and the product has not been burned or used, Solo Stove will only offer store credit.
How to Contact Solo Stove
I hope you enjoyed this Solo Stove review! To reach their customer service, use one of the following methods.
- Phone: 817 900 2664
- Email: [email protected]
Keep warm with an Ember Mug during your outdoor festivities.
Also we recommend checking out Yeti Cooler as another great outdoor brand.