10 Best Organic Lawn Care Services
Table of Contents
Searching For The Best Organic Lawn Care Services
There are no two ways around the fact that organic lawn care is often more expensive than conventional lawn care, but, like most good things in life, those higher costs yield greater rewards. Organic lawn care is better for the environment, yields healthier soil, it’s more sustainable in the long term, it’s safer for people and pets, and it arguably looks better.
As such, the best organic lawn care service is about more than just showing up your pesky neighbors who keep claiming that they have the best lawn in the cul-de-sac. In 2021, there were more than 18 million new gardeners, according to this survey. Many of them turned to organic lawn care for its advantages.
You may not know where to start if you’re one of those new gardeners or converting from traditional to organic lawn care. Thankfully, that’s why I’ve assembled a list of the 10 best organic lawn care service providers. Keep reading my list to find out about subscriptions, single-purchase products, and other variations that can save your lawn from unsightliness.
Before I continue, I should note that nearly all of the brands you’ll read about have a sliding scale model that increases the more care your lawn requires or the more products you purchase. It’s hard to offer previews of their prices because so much of it is dependent on the customer’s soil quality.
10 Best Organic Lawn Care Services
Gnome are a relative newcomer in the lawn care industry, but their optimism towards improving the planet and customers’ lawns is potent. They set themselves apart by digging deeply into the science of liquid fertilizer. See, most lawn care services rely on pellets or industrial sprayers, but Gnome don’t. Like the small creature they took their name from, they have a more detail-oriented approach.
It starts with their ingredients. Some of the most common ingredients among Gnome products include the following:
- Atlantic kelp
- Lemongrass oil
- Corn steep
- Cedarwood oil
- Soy protein
Next up is the individualized approach Gnome takes to every project. Their staff will create a yearly plan just for you based on your climate, lawn size, and soil type. Their liquid fertilizers come in many forms, including the Magic Lawn Plan ($117), the Organic Lawn Fertilizer Plan ($42), and the Summer Lawn Fertilizer Kit ($49).
So, while every entry in my list of the best organic lawn care service providers is worthwhile, I’d likely check out Gnome before the others. They’re fairly priced, use identifiable ingredients, and have a generous 100-day money-back guarantee.
Customers say: “Can’t recommend this product enough. So much easier than the way I used to maintain my lawn and produces better results in little time. Once you go Gnome you won’t go back! Added bonus: Customer service has been top notch!”
- Results in as little as 48 hours
- Free shipping on all orders
- 100-day money-back guarantee
#2 Sunday Lawn Care
The core of Sunday Lawn Care is ease-of-use as the company takes all the complexities of lawn maintenance, puts them into a box, and ships it right to your door. By that I mean that their treatment plans are basically effort-free from the customer’s perspective. All you need to do is answer a few questions, wait until you receive your shipment, and spray your yard.
Sunday Lawn Care uses your answers to develop a personalized lawn solution from ingredients like soy protein, iron, molasses, and seaweed. You can outfit your plan with add-ons like pest control and garden plants.
They offer multiple plans that escalate with price and capabilities. The basic plans only include micronutrients, while the Keep & Protect plan includes a weed concentrate. The Grow & Renew package adds three bags of seeds.
Customers say: “Easy to apply. Safe for animals, people, and wildlife. Keeps my lawn looking great year-round without all of the chemical junk.”:
- Average score of 4.3/5 stars from more than 5,000 customer reviews on their website
- Multiple plans with add-ons
- Easy application process
#3 DoMyOwn Turf Box
DoMyOwn empowers customers to perform their own maintenance, whether it be animal care, pest control, or lawn care. Their Turf Box takes a reading from a soil sample you deliver and packs their products with the correct treatments. Their treatments can be scaled from yards from 2,500 to 20,000 square feet.
Currently, DoMyOwn sells three different plans:
- Weed Prevention Program: their most basic plan that uses granular weed control tailored to your lawn’s needs
- Disease Prevention Program: includes a fungicide disease control compound
- Weed & Disease Prevention Program
Customers say: “Been using your products for years. Never had a bug problem again. Ever.”
- Delivers on a customized schedule
- All subscriptions come with a 10% discount on other lawn care products
- Can treat both weeds and fungi
Lawnbox are one of the best organic lawn care service providers for what they don’t include in their products. If you’re looking for “animal ingredients, manure, biosolids or synthetic chemicals,” you might as well look elsewhere, because LawnBox uses sodium nitrate, soybean meal, gypsum, humic acid, potassium, sulfur, and amino acids instead.
They either provide regular shipments with fertilizers containing ingredients based on what your lawn needs or items you can purchase at any time. Their catalog includes lawn food, soil food, grub control, and spreaders. Most of their items cost between $30 to $40.
Customers say: “Grass genie, along with all the other lawnbox products, has taken my lawn to the next level. I regularly get passersby that stop and ask what I am using and for tips.”
- All products are made in the US
- All items are OMRI Listed
- Has a higher nitrogen content than other organic fertilizers
Lawnrbright is another of the best organic lawn care services that takes all the trial and error out of the customer’s hands. They use liquid fertilizers that attach to a hose for convenient application. All you need to do is send Lawnbright the results of your soil test and they’ll figure out which product is best for you.
All of their ingredients are organic and natural so they’re safe for children and pets. These ingredients include North Atlantic sea kelp, cornmeal, cedar oil, and blackstrap molasses. You can try out their LawnBright Liquid Fish Starter Fertilizer for $30.
Customers say: “Our lawn is much thicker, stayed green, and we watered only 2x week, even during this summer’s drought. Big contrast to the neighbors! Love these products.“
- Available in all 50 states
- Short but effective ingredients label
- Safe for children and pets
LawnServ may be the best organic lawn care service provider for beginners who want to learn more about their lawns. The company’s team is staffed by national soil scientists who will not only test your soil but answer your questions in the future. Furthermore, LawnServ provides videos that explain how to use their products. Thus, they require a bit more of a hands-on approach than other brands, but you’re more than likely to learn a few tips and tricks.
They also work as an intermediary between customers and brands as they’ll ship you the products other brands have developed. This means that your boxes may contain products from two or more companies.
Customers say: “I’ve been using Lawn Serv for over a year now. My lawn has never looked better and it was more affordable than the other national service we hired, and just as convenient with deliveries each month.”
- Good way for customers to learn about lawncare
- Offer synthetic and organic options
- Providers customized mixes of products from multiple brands
Lawnifi is a subscription-based lawn care brand that offers an incredibly easy and convenient experience for customers. They deliver boxes with organic ingredients directly to your doorstep every season. Their primary product is a liquid fertilizer that can be applied to cover 5,000 square feet in just a few minutes. To maintain a healthy lawn, Lawnifi recommends treating your lawn every 4 to 6 weeks, ensuring consistent nourishment for optimal growth and appearance.
With their subscription-based model and convenient delivery system, Lawnifi aims to simplify lawn care and provide customers with a hassle-free solution to achieve a lush and thriving lawn.
You can also purchase a bottle of their fertilizer for only $20.
Customers say: “What a fantastic product, I have tried many products on my lawn, but none like this. Easy to use and apply, in fact couldn’t be any easier. The results were fantastic. Applied it on Friday and actually saw the results by Sunday morning. Grass greened up right away, and so did the landscape plants!!!. “
- Can sort purchases by grass type and ideal starting season
- Easy-to-use product
- Items contain humates, carbon, and micronutrients
Nutri-Lawn is a Canadian company that has been offering a range of lawn care services since 1985. Their services include lawn care, insect control, weed control, and fertilizer services. They provide a convenient option for homeowners by handling all the work themselves, making it an attractive choice for those who prefer to outsource the labor.
One notable service offered by Nutri-Lawn is their Organic Topdressing. This topdressing is free from weeds and consists of organic materials and plant nutrients. It can effectively improve soil conditions and promote healthier, greener lawns.
Nutri-Lawn offers a quote application process, allowing customers to easily inquire about their services and pricing. For individuals who have the necessary funds and are seeking professional assistance with their lawn care needs, Nutri-Lawn provides a comprehensive range of services and expertise.
Customers say: “Nutrilawn has gone to great lengths to give me the Lawn Care 2023 Package that will work well for my lawn. Amy (Cambridge office has been professional.) The staff is prompt, efficient, neat and provides level of care any customer would be proud of. I trust my lawn will be good.”
- Member of the Canadian Nursery Landscape Association
- Relatively little labor on behalf of the customer
- Multiple locations across Ontario and Canada
#9 Good Nature
Whether you’re looking for organic lawn care, land care, insect control, or athletic control, Good Nature have you covered. The Cleveland-based brand offers eight treatments spread across 6 visits during the spring, summer, and fall. They strengthen your lawn with vegetable proteins, plant extracts, micronutrients, and plant oils.
However, they offer additional support for customers who require extra help fighting weeds, grass renovation and reinvigoration, aeration, soil analysis, and more. All their services are backed by their promise, which reads as “Good Nature uses compost tea, natural plant oils, beneficial natural organisms and organic weed suppressors to keep your landscape looking great, without chemicals.”
Customers say: “A little pricey buy well worth the investment. Technicians were courteous, knowledgeable, professional and kept us informed with all aspects of the job – yard looking best since we moved in. I’m looking forward using their services and tailored programs.”
- Robust list of services
- All their offerings are backed by organic ingredients
- Also provide a bug defense system that repels mosquitoes, ticks, and more
My final pick as one of the best organic lawn care services is TruGreen, who boast over 40 years of experience and have served more than 2 million Americans. They offer a four-step plan to ensure your lawn looks and feels its healthiest. That plan includes:
- An in-person examination of your lawn to determine the soil type, climate, and other factors that influence its needs
- A slow-release fertilization plan that’s provided seasonally
- Preventative weed control that stops them from becoming a problem in the first place
- Check-ups in-between scheduled maintenance to inspect your lawn
Price-wise, you’re looking at anywhere from $650 to $1,500 annually, depending on the type of plan you select. They have five plans, each of which includes different services that you can purchase a la carte. These services include aeration, overseeding, and lime soil amendment, among others.
Customers say: “Very happy with the care and performance of the lawn care workers. If I have special issues they are taken care of immediately. The workers are very friendly and caring about my lawn even suggesting additional care that can be taken.”
- Have locations across most states
- Offer five different plans with a variety of price options
- Their employees perform the yardwork
How To Shop For The Best Organic Lawn Care Service
Choosing the best organic lawn care service requires careful consideration and research. Here are some tips to help you in the process:
- Assess Your Needs: Determine your specific lawn care needs. Do you need regular maintenance, weed control, pest control, fertilization, or other specific services? Understanding your requirements will help you find a service provider that can meet your needs.
- Certifications and Credentials: Check if the organic lawn care service provider has relevant certifications or credentials. Look for certifications such as the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) or any local organic certification programs. These certifications indicate that the company follows organic practices and meets certain standards.
- Experience and Expertise: Consider the experience and expertise of the service provider. How long have they been in business? Do they specialize in organic lawn care? An experienced company with a focus on organic methods is more likely to have the knowledge and skills to care for your lawn effectively.
- Services Offered: Review the range of services offered by the organic lawn care provider. Ensure they offer the specific services you require, such as fertilization, weed control, or pest management. It’s also beneficial if they provide additional services like soil testing and aeration to improve the overall health of your lawn.
- Communication and Customer Service: Pay attention to how the company communicates with customers. Are they responsive to inquiries? Do they provide clear information and explanations? Good communication and customer service are important for a satisfactory experience with your lawn care provider.
- Get Multiple Quotes: Request quotes from different organic lawn care providers. Compare their pricing, services, and any additional fees or contracts involved. However, be cautious of extremely low-priced options, as quality and reliability may be compromised.
- Insurance and Guarantees: Check if the company has appropriate insurance coverage. Accidents can happen during lawn care, so it’s important to ensure they have liability insurance. Additionally, inquire about any guarantees or warranties they provide for their services.
By considering these tips and conducting thorough research, you can make an informed decision in choosing the best organic lawn care service provider that aligns with your needs, values, and expectations.
What is the best organic matter for lawns?
There are few organic compounds you’ll want to keep on hand when building your personal brew of lawn care essentials. Compost is great because it can keep your lawn moist, provide nutrients, and add structure to the soil. Peat moss, grass clippings, and leaf mulch are three other choices you should consider.
How can I improve my grass organically?
You can improve your grass organically by feeding it a healthy diet of compost, organic fertilizers in late summer, and clippings. Aerating and overseeding (every year, you lazy bum) will also do your grass wonders.
Additionally, regular mowing with a high blade and intelligent watering will do plenty.
What is the safest fertilizer for your yard?
The safest fertilizers are usually comprised of organic ingredients, such as the brands I included throughout this list. While comparing them head-to-head will come down to a matter of personal preference, my belief is that Gnome is one of the best ones right now.
What times of year should I treat my lawn?
Spring is known as fertilizing season because it’s the best time to treat your lawn to some good organic fertilizers. You can fertilize it again in the fall to give it some nutrients before it heads into winter.
Although it’s already May, that doesn’t mean it’s too late to start taking care of your lawn. With how quickly many of the best organic lawn care services ship their products, you could be looking at a brand-new lawn just in time for summer! There’s no reason to hesitate, especially now that you know what to look for.
Check out some of our related articles that you might also like.