Vilebrequin is a French luxury apparel brand that specializes in selling swimwear and ready-to-wear clothing for men, women and kids. The brand is designed to embody the glamour of 70’s St-Tropez, promising elegance, joy, freedom and a lasting idea of fantasy every time you wear their products.
The following Vilebrequin swimwear review will provide an inside look of the brand and its products to ensure you are well informed before you make a decision to purchase.
Overview of Vilebrequin
The brand was created in Saint Tropez in 1971 by the photographer and Formula 1 reporter, Fred Prysquel. His passion for automobiles inspired the name Vilebrequin, a French word that translates to ‘crankshaft.” Prysquel’s first swimsuit design was based on what surfers were wearing for swim trunks at the time. He created a longer boxer short style, which was different compared to the shorter and fitted swimsuits of that time period.
Vilebrequin has undergone immense change over the years, including selling its trademark, a transfer of ownership, and the launch of a ladies swimwear collection in 2015. Vilberequin is loved by its customers for its commitment to sustainability and contributing to a more responsible fashion industry, through eco-friendly methods of production and ethical brand values.
Since 2016, Vilebrequin has supported the non-profit organization Te mana o te moana, which helps save sea turtles by providing shelter and nurture for injured, diseased, or captivated animals before returning them to the wild. In 2016 and 2017 Vilebrequin donated over $50,000 from swimsuit sales to the association and in doing so hundreds of sea turtles were given shelter.
Vilebrequin is in their second year of collaborating with RED, an organization that aims to fight against AIDS. With every order of the Vilebrequin x (RED) swimsuit, $15 will be donated to RED.
The brand creates many of its collections from recyclable materials, including:
- To create the MAN range of Vilebrequin bathing suits, Vilebrequin uses 100% recycled polyester made from plastic waste recovered from the Mediterranean sea. For 1kg of plastic waste removed from the oceans, 5 swimwear pieces are produced.
- In the NUAGE and NEO Vilebrequin swimwear pieces, unused scraps of fabric are combined with 100% recycled polyamide filament. The fiber uses less water and emits 80% less carbon.
- Old fishing nets, carpets and rugs are used in the range of Rashguards containing recycled polyamide.
- Through the polymerization of a plant called Ricin, the TE MANA O TE MOANA swim short edition was made. Using bio-sourced polyamide conserves energy during the treatments and dyeing process.
- In the men’s ultra-light classic Vilebrequin swim trunks, Vilebrequin includes a plastic fiber made from recycled plastic water bottles.
Vilebrequin clothing is made throughout Europe; all fabrics are printed in France and Italy, and are of French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese origin. Vilebrequin products are confected in Europe, Morocco or Tunisia. The production of the embroidered series is in France and Italy.
This Vilebrequin swimwear review will take a look at the benefits and downsides to the brand:
- The brand offers swimwear in an extensive variety of styles, colors, and designs for men, women and children
- Free shipping and returns on all orders
- Can be purchased online or in retail stores
- Uses recyclable materials and sustainable, eco-friendly practices
- Products are more expensive compared to other swimwear brands
- Customers complain of product shrinkage and sizes running too small
- Customers report orders cancelled without reason, longer than average delivery times
Vilebrequin Swimwear Review
With over 197 Vilebrequin swim products for men, there is a swimsuit for any summer or holiday occasion. In this Vilebrequin swimwear review, we’ll take a look at some of the brand’s most popular styles.
Men’s Short Classic
If you could be transported to Saint-Tropez in the 70’s, men all around you would be in very short swimsuits. Vilbrequin’s Short Classic pays tribute to this style and time in history. Customers can choose between 17 different colors and patterns for $165. These trunks are made from 100% recycled polyester: 98% polyamide and 2% elastane, so they’re conveniently quick drying. The Short Classic features an elastic waistband and drawstring, but note that it does not contain pockets.
Men’s Flat Belt
This swim style is designed to be form fitting with a built-in belt. The waistband features an attractive faux gold snap button. The suit has convenient pockets on the sides and back that can be velcroed shut. These trunks are made of solely biodegradable materials. The Flat Belt comes in 13 options and you can choose from solid colors or graphic designs for $260-$280.
Men’s Swim Trunks
Vilbrequin’s swim trunks for men are pretty creative, with some featuring water-reactive and glow in the dark patterns. For these original styles, you can choose between elephants, sea creatures, anchors and crabs, adding some fun to whichever beach destination you’re heading for. These trunks are offered in seven styles in navy, orange, cobalt blue, neon green, teal, and black.
In all other ways, these trunks are the most typical when it comes to men’s swimwear, with an elastic waistband and drawstring, side pockets and a velcro flap back pocket. They’re made from 100% Polyamide, meaning they’ll be dry within minutes of coming out the water. Vilbrequin’s men’s trunks are some of their most expensive swimwear, priced at either $260 or $280.
Men’s Swim Brief
Vilbrequin’s swim briefs are tastefully minimalist, designed to be lightweight and made from high-performance materials. This style is ideal for relaxing on sunny European beaches for those who love to flaunt what they’ve got.
There are six solid color choices including black, olive, and shades of blue, with fabric made from recycled scraps not used industrially. These briefs have an elastic waistband and drawstring to create a shaped front cut, priced at $135.
Men’s Long Classic
For those who want more leg coverage the Long Classic is offered in over 30 printed options in every color and two solid styles in navy and light blue. Vilebrequin has thought of every ocean-themed pattern you could possibly think of, whether it’s octopuses (octopi?), starfish, cruise ships, crabs, fish, coral, you name it.
The Long Classic has all of the same physical features as the Swim Trunks, including an elastic waistband and drawstring, two side pockets, and a velcro flap back pocket. These swimsuits are also made with fast drying 100% Polyamide material. The Long Classic styles are priced at either $260 or $280.
While Vilebrequin offers considerably less swimwear for women compared to men, there are still 77 chic, playful, and exotic styles to choose from. We’ll cover some of their top sellers for this Vilebrequin swimwear review:
Ladies can pick from 27 solid, printed and color options for their bikinis. The printed patterns are particularly fun, with designs like Go Bananas and Coral & Fish. All tops feature removable padded cups if you’re in favor of cleavage. If you really want to show off your top, there are also three underwire options. Each style is available as a halter top, bandeau or triangle top. Most Vilebrequin bikini tops are $135 or $140, with two ornate and embroidered options priced at $250 and $290.
Vilebrequin bikini tops and bottoms are sold individually, with each piece being more expensive than a regular-priced two piece set combined. That being said, you’re paying for high quality material and unique designs. Vilebrequin has 27 bikini bottoms to match the tops available, but feel free to mix and match for an original look. The bottoms are either $110, $120, or $135, with one embroidered option for $260.
When you combine two different tops and bottoms, it really does appear as though it’s a completely new bathing suit. The bottoms you’ll choose depend on how much coverage you want, such as midi briefs, mini briefs, bottom covering briefs and tied briefs. There are options for ties or metal rings on the side, or you can go with no side options, which are more comfortable and offer a more streamlined appearance.
Vielbrequin one piece bathing suits come in print, solid, and embroidered designs, ranging from $250-$380 depending on style. You can choose between necklines including bustier, shaping, triangle, asymmetrical, draped, round and halter, plus there are attractive cut-out options available as well. The suits come with removable padding and adjustable straps to better adjust them to your body. The one pieces are made from 80% polyamide and 20% elastane, making them comfortably stretchy and quick drying.
Sometimes it’s hard to decide between wearing a one-piece or a bikini. Vilebrequin makes it easier by combining the two into a glamorous trikini. They offer two styles, one with a rounded neckline, removable padding, and adjustable neck, back, and hip ties. This style comes in the Evening Birds pattern pictured below, priced at $280.
The second trikini design, Lazer Cut, features edgy semi-transparent mesh black for $250. The suit has a sexy cut-out waist, rounded neckline, and adjustable straps. As with any trikini style, you want to be careful about awkward tan lines and wear extra sunscreen. This is especially important with the lazer cut, since you could end up with a polka dot tan design!
Vilebrequin Swimwear Review: What Do Customers Think?
The best way to make an informed decision before purchasing clothing is to find out what customers have to say in their reviews. For this Vilebrequin swimwear review, I looked for customer feedback on and off the Vilebrequin website to see if there were any red flags. Here’s what I gathered:
|Vilebrequin||Delivery can sometimes be too slowIf you don’t follow the washing instructions perfectly it may ruin the colour or pattern of your itemItems can run too smallOrders can be cancelled or sent back to the warehouse without mention|
|Verified Reviews||Poor customer serviceClothing items shrankSizes run too smallDelivery isn’t on time|
Other than these common complaints from a small number of people, customers seemed to enjoy their purchases and love everything else about them. It’s unfortunate that the swimwear shrinks if you don’t wash it correctly, but that just goes to show how important it is to follow the instructions.
Vilebrequin Promotions & Discounts
To help you save even more with your purchase, this Vilebrequin swimwear review provides the following code that is currently available for use:
Save 15% off your order when you sign up for the mailing list using the Vilebrequin promo code THANKYOU2020.
Vilebrequin Size Chart
Vilbrequin’s swimsuits for men come in sizes XS to XXXL. Women’s swimwear products come in sizes ranging from XXS to XL. You can find size charts for each swimwear collection on Vilbrequin’s website.
Where to Buy Vilebrequin
Vilebrequin has over 150 retail stores across five continents in 52 countries. Find a store near year by using the Store Locator on their website. Some of their top retail locations include:
- Vilebrequin NYC
- Vilebrequin Soho
- Vilebrequin Miami
You can also place an order with Vilebrequin on their website, or off of Amazon.
Vilebrequin offers free shipping and returns on all orders. For all orders and shipments, speed and costs may vary depending on location and value of purchase orders. For your convenience, this Vilebrequin swimwear review offers a breakdown of the steps you can expect:
- Orders placed Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, before 2pm EST with be processed and shipped the same day depending on availability and credit verification
- Orders placed after 2pm EST will be processed the day after
- Vilebrequin shipping and handling rates are: $12 for ground shipping, which is currently free, $24 for second day air, $35 for next day air and there is a $45 air shipping charge for Alaska and Hawaii
- Shipping to Alaska and Hawaii takes about 5 to 7 business days
- After the order is placed, you will receive an email with a tracking number to follow your order
- You can choose to pick up your order in one of Vilebrequins boutiques throughout the US
- All orders placed from the us.vilebrequin.com website are shipped from the US
- They ship to more than 180 locations
Vilebrequin’s return policy is hassle free. All requests, fees, and processes may vary depending on the location and value of requested orders. Note that Vilebrequin sale items cannot be returned. Items must be returned within 30 days of purchase, and if your return arrives after the 30 days it will be shipped back to the return address.
Items can only be returned if it is in the original condition, unworn, with original tags, receipts and any accompanying accessories. If returns are not in this condition, they will be denied and sent back to the return address. For your convenience, this Vilebrequin swimwear review offers a breakdown of the steps you can expect:
- If you have an issue about the condition of the product, contact the company at [email protected]
- To initiate a return, complete the return form and ship the item back using the provided shipping label that came with your original order
- If you lost the return label, they recommend sending your package with tracking as it’s not the company’s responsibility if something goes wrong
- Send the returns to: Bleckmann USA
Attn: Vilebrequin E-Shop Returns
192 Commerce Blvd
Johnstown, OH 43031
- If you want to do an exchange you will need to go to one of the retail locations
- Vilebrequin does not offer exchanges online and any item sent back to them will be received as a return
- If a gift is returned it will be credited back to the person who purchased the original order. You will need to visit a retail location if you want to exchange your gift
For more information, inquiries, and services, the customer service team can be reached by submitting a message through the contact form on their main website, by phone or through email. They are available for contact Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm EST.
- Phone: +888-458-0051
- Email: [email protected]
Check out our reviews of other top travelwear brands: