Drink LMNT Review
Table of Contents
LMNT is a performance-enhancing electrolyte powder with a high sodium content. The energy and brain-boosting product comes in travel-friendly pouches and nine different flavors to elevate your workout and push you to new boundaries.
Before the development of Recharge, founder Robb Wolf was no stranger to health issues. Turning to a keto diet and intermittent fasting to resolve them, he finally found something that worked.
And yet, with Jiu-Jitsu training 3-5 times per week, he noticed he just didn’t have the oomph to push through his exercises. But, why not? As a fit man, there was no reason for him to be lacking in the gym.
Trying out electrolytes for energy and recovery, Wolf found himself compromising. But, he soon decided to take the future of his health into his own hands by making a beverage that fit his needs.
Experimenting with sodium, potassium, and magnesium levels until he found the optimal level, Wolf launched LMNT in 2018. Today, the brand is based in New York City, NY and ships around the world.
LMNT’s benefits and flavors are potent enough to appeal to people who aren’t exercising and just want something to sip on. That demographic is only growing larger, as the sports drink market was valued at $36b in 2021.
If you’re on a keto diet, or simply looking for a sugar-free, high-salt electrolyte beverage, then you may have found exactly what you need. To be sure, take a read through this Drink LMNT review to find out about the brands ingredients, how to use them, their customer feedback, promotions, and more.
I’ll kick things off by looking at LMNT’s pros and cons.
Pros and Cons
- Provides essential electrolytes: LMNT drinks contain a balanced blend of sodium, potassium, and magnesium, which are essential electrolytes that help support hydration, muscle function, and overall health.
- No added sugars or artificial ingredients: LMNT drinks are free from added sugars, artificial sweeteners, and other artificial ingredients that are commonly found in traditional sports drinks.
- Convenient and easy to use: LMNT drinks come in convenient individual packets that can be easily mixed with water, making them a convenient option for people who are on the go or who need quick hydration during workouts.
- Science-backed: The ingredients in LMNT drinks are backed by scientific research and are formulated based on the latest nutritional guidelines.
- May be expensive: LMNT drinks may be more expensive than traditional sports drinks or other electrolyte supplements, which could make them less accessible to some consumers.
- Limited flavor options: While LMNT offers several flavor options, they may not have the same variety as other sports drinks or electrolyte supplements.
When it came to developing its electrolyte-packed product, LMNT labs had some large boxes that needed checking. The toxicity of sugar, gluten, and artificial ingredients was a no-go, and due to the success founder Robb Wolf experienced in his own life, he wanted the product to be totally Paleo and Keto-friendly.
In each one of the nine delicious flavors of LMNT, you’ll get 1000mg of sodium, 200mg of potassium, and 60mg of magnesium. Double what you’ll find in sugar-laden, artificial sports drink competitors. By upping the quantities, this beverage delivers superior recovery results for the mind and body.
Here is a breakdown of the ingredients in LMNT and what each one does:
- Sodium (Sodium Citrate and Sodium Chloride): Sodium is an electrolyte that helps regulate fluid balance in the body, supports nerve and muscle function, and plays a role in blood pressure regulation. Sodium citrate and sodium chloride are both forms of sodium that are easily absorbed by the body.
- Potassium (Potassium Citrate): Potassium is an electrolyte that is important for muscle and nerve function, and plays a role in regulating blood pressure and heart function. Potassium citrate is a form of potassium that is easily absorbed by the body.
- Magnesium (Magnesium Citrate): Magnesium is an essential mineral that supports muscle and nerve function, and plays a role in bone health and heart function. Magnesium citrate is a form of magnesium that is easily absorbed by the body.
- Citric Acid: Citric acid is a weak organic acid that is commonly used as a flavoring agent and preservative in food and beverages. It also has potential health benefits, such as aiding in digestion and reducing the risk of kidney stones.
- Stevia Leaf Extract: Stevia leaf extract is a natural sweetener that is derived from the stevia plant. It is commonly used as a sugar substitute in foods and beverages, and is a calorie-free alternative to sugar.
- Natural Flavors: Natural flavors are derived from natural sources such as fruits, vegetables, and herbs. They are commonly used in food and beverages to enhance flavor and aroma. LMNT uses natural flavors to add flavor to their drink mixes without the use of artificial ingredients.
There are several potential benefits of electrolyte drinks like LMNT, including improved hydration, better athletic performance, faster recovery, increased energy, and better focus.
- Improved Hydration: LMNT provides key electrolytes like sodium, potassium, and magnesium that help maintain proper hydration levels in the body, especially during intense exercise or hot weather conditions.
- Enhanced Athletic Performance: Proper hydration and electrolyte balance can help improve athletic performance by reducing muscle fatigue, cramping, and improving endurance.
- Faster Recovery: Electrolytes play an important role in muscle recovery, and consuming them through drinks like LMNT can help speed up the recovery process after strenuous physical activity.
- Increased Energy: Electrolytes help support proper nerve and muscle function, which can improve energy levels and reduce fatigue.
- Better Focus: Dehydration and electrolyte imbalances can cause mental fatigue and reduce focus. LMNT can help address these issues and improve cognitive function.
3 Best-Selling Drink LMNT Products
One formula. Nine flavors. Three different options. This Drink LMNT review will walk you through each of the brand’s flavors, along with some information on how to enjoy them best.
LMNT Recharge Review
Classic sports drinks contain a few ingredients with purpose and a few that are there just for looks. Artificial colors, flavors, and fillers do absolutely nothing for your body. And yet, big brands pay to put them in there. Why? Sales.
As for the sugar, the importance of its presence is negotiable, but for those on a keto diet—it’s not. LMNT Recharge is a drink with purpose. It only includes what needs to be there for you to get the most out of your workout and to help you recover faster.
With only 10 calories, mix each stick pack with 16oz of water and knock it back or enjoy throughout your workout. Replacing white, refined sugar with natural stevia leaf, LMNT Recharge is an ideal choice for those following a low-carb diet.
Take your pick of nine flavors:
- Grapefruit Salt
- Watermelon Salt
- Citrus Salt
- Orange Salt
- Raspberry Salt
- Raw Unflavored
- Mango Chili
- Lemon Habanero
- Chocolate Salt
You may not be aware of this, but salt pretty much goes with anything. It enhances the flavor of sweet, spicy, and tangy flavors. Watermelon with salt is considered a classy summer party staple and I think Mango Chili speaks for itself!
Get a pack of 30 Recharge sticks for $45 (that’s just $1.50 per stick—move over, Gatorade), or $39 when you subscribe. I just need to note that all 30 sticks will have the same flavor. If you wish to mix it up, check out the next pack in this Drink LMNT review.
Customers say: “These things taste great and I feel much better throughout the day if I take one. I exercise everyday and am constantly on my feet at work and sweating sometimes too so these have been great for replenishing energy and keeping me going throughout the day.”
LMNT Recharge Variety Pack Review
If you like to switch things up, then the Variety Pack is your obvious go-to. Of course, what would variety be without some options? That’s why you’ll get to pick from two different packs, both of which I’ll outline just below.
- Variety Pack: Citrus Salt, Raspberry Salt, and Orange Salt
- Fiesta Pack: Lemon Habanero, Mango Chili, andChocolate Salt
Each pack comes with 12 sticks—four of each flavor. Switch things up a little with the Drink LMNT Recharge Variety Pack for $20, or $18 when you subscribe.
Customers say: “The quality and taste are fantastic! They are super easy to take on the go and my favorite part is how EASILY they mix with water and iced coffee! If I get too far into my day without having my LMNT I can feel it. Scoop some up, folks, and get salty!“
LMNT Value Bundle Review
As an active person, you know the value of recharging throughout your race or workout as well as after it. Because of that, you may find it helpful to have a larger supply of Drink LMNT electrolytes packets on hand.
The Value Bundle lets you add four boxes of 30 of your favorite flavors of Recharge to one convenient kit, saving you $15 per box, or $60 total. Stock up with the Value Bundle for $135, or subscribe and get it for $117.
Customers say: “We’ve been drinking LMNT for about a month now. I love it early in the day or when working up a good sweat. The flavors are fantastic! Added with seltzer water they are a great way to enjoy a mocktail!“
How Often Should I Drink LMNT?
How often you should consume this beverage depends on your needs. Most of your sodium, potassium, and magnesium should come from a balanced and healthy diet, but you can supplement with LMNT if you find you’re lacking in any of those areas.
The electrolyte powder is designed for athletes or those on a ketogenic diet, and most use it 1-2 times per day. Elite athletes use it up to 4 times per day during training or races.
The sodium levels are high, so be sure not to drink more than your body needs. With that said, the brand states you should be getting between 5,000-7,000mg of sodium per day. Each of its powders contains 1,000mg.
Who is LMNT for?
LMNT was designed for those following a keto or paleo diet. It’s a great choice for anyone on a low-carb diet or who wants to avoid artificial ingredients and the high sugar content found in traditional sports drinks.
Electrolyte replenishment is important especially during workouts or periods of high-intensity movement. So Drink LMNT hydration packs would be, more specifically, beneficial for those who have active lives.
What Do Experts Think
While there aren’t any specific studies on LMNT’s specific formulation, there are several studies that have examined the benefits of the individual ingredients found in the drink. Here are some links to studies related to the ingredients in LMNT’s electrolyte drink:
- Sodium supplementation and exercise performance: This study examines the role of sodium in athletic performance, and suggests that sodium supplementation may be beneficial for athletes who engage in prolonged or high-intensity exercise.
- Electrolyte supplementation: While this study did not specifically evaluate LMNT’s electrolyte drink, it provides evidence for the potential benefits of electrolyte supplementation during endurance exercise. LMNT’s electrolyte drink is designed to provide essential electrolytes that are lost during intense physical activity, so the study’s findings suggest that LMNT may be beneficial for those who engage in endurance exercise such as running a marathon.
- Magnesium and exercise performance: This review article explores the potential benefits of magnesium, a key ingredient in LMNT, for athletes, including improved exercise performance and recovery.
Overall, the ingredients in LMNT’s electrolyte drink are generally well-regarded by experts, as they are balanced and designed to provide essential electrolytes that are lost during intense physical activity.
However, as with any dietary supplement, it’s important to consider individual needs and potential contraindications before adding LMNT to your routine.
There are other electrolyte drink brands with reputable ingredients profiles aside from LMNT. Here are three notable alternatives:
- Hydrant: Single-stick electrolyte drink mixes with variants to boost immunity, reduce stress, and help with sleep.
- Liquid I.V.: Multiple-purpose electrolyte drinks with exciting flavors like pina colada, passionfruit, and watermelon.
- Cure Hydration: Uses the World Health Organisation’s Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS), a medical-grade formula designed to rehydrate children suffering from acute diarrhea. As such, these drink mixes are quite effective.
LMNT Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
Before you try anything out for yourself, it’s usually smart to take a gander at the comments section to see what others’ experiences have been. This Drink LMNT review has gone ahead and done that for you, but I took it a few steps further as well, heading off of the brand’s website to get a balanced view of how customers perceive them.
But before I show you what I found outside of the site, let’s first take a look at the ratings on DrinkLMNT.com:
The electrolyte powder has over 31,000 reviews as of May 2023 and an overall rating of 4.6/5 stars.
Shoppers write of tasty flavors and a feeling of hydration. Of the flavors, one Drink LMNT review read, “LMNT salts are fantastic. The flavors are incredible. Each one is better than the last. The watermelon, raspberry, and chili mango are so tasty.” Thousands of people seem to agree!
Taste is a completely personal preference, so, as you can imagine, some people didn’t enjoy certain flavors as much as others. There wasn’t one flavor that was singled out though, which just reinforces my point.
You may be thinking, electrolytes in high amounts—what about the side effects? And your question is completely valid. Some people did experience an aftershock of sorts. One said that the Recharge “caused immediate gastric emptying in my system. No fun.”
This is the opposite of what you want, as that effect causes dehydration, not the other way around. If this happens, the brand recommends diluting the powder more and sipping instead of chugging.
To check if ratings from the company’s website were honest, I headed to Amazon, where customer comments are notoriously unfiltered. I was happy to find a 4.8/5-star average from more than 3,000 users as of May 2023.
What were buyers so thrilled about? Well, I found one Drink LMNT review written by a 68-year-old with a new lease on life that pretty much sums it up:
“After several weeks of LMNT, I ran a whole 5K last weekend and came in first place in my age group!” He said after being so low energy for years, he finally got his pep back. It’s pretty cool when a product changes a life.
I then headed on over to Fueled by LOLZ, a blog run by an athlete who tries out different performance products. Their Drink LMNT review said that Recharge did great things during a desert run, but in the end, due to the cost, it wasn’t something they could foresee including in their regular regimen.
So the negatives: cost and possible stomach issues. The positives: increased energy, better performance, and enjoyable flavors. I think the pros outweigh the cons, but it’s up to you to decide if it makes sense for your lifestyle.
Is LMNT Worth It?
I think the brand’s powders are worth it. The cost, $1.50 per pack, isn’t too high, but if you consume three or more a day, I could see where it could add up. If these prices are outside of your daily budget, LMNT may be something you save for races or on vigorous training days.
But according to those who consume these beverages, it does make a big difference in performance. In fact, there are thousands of users who swear by them.
Plus, these beverages can support a keto or intermittent fasting diet—two exceptionally trendy lifestyles in 2021. At just 10 calories, you’re still within the fasting rules, and the sugar-free formulation ensures you stay within ketosis.
If you subscribe, the cost comes down, and if you buy in bulk and subscribe, you can get a pack for under $1. Compared to your $6 latte, the price isn’t too bad—plus, you’ll get a lot more out of it than you would coffee and almond milk.
LMNT Promotions & Discounts
Throughout this Drink LMNT review, I kept an eye out for any and every promotion the brand has to offer on its website. Here’s what I found:
- Save up to 15% when you subscribe
- Save up to $60 when you buy in bulk
Where to Buy LMNT
Where is LMNT made?
LMNT’s headquarters are located in NYC. I can’t say for sure if that’s where its supplement is made because the brand does not disclose that information.
Is LMNT vegan and cruelty-free?
The company does not specify whether or not it tests its products on animals or subject them to cruelty of any kind during the testing phase. But, I do know that the product itself is vegan.
What is LMNT’s Shipping Policy?
LMNT offers worldwide shipping. Costs vary by location, but it does ship to US customers for free. The brand doesn’t list any other shipping info on its website. To see how long it may take for your order to reach you, simply enter your address at checkout.
What is LMNT’s Return Policy?
If you don’t like LMNT, you can return it without a hassle. There is no time limit that you need to return it by. When you try it, if you decide it’s not for you, simply send the company an email or give it a call and let its team know.
If you haven’t tried the product but want a refund, you can ship it back. LMNT will send you a prepaid shipping label that you’ll just need to attach to the outside of your package.
How to Contact LMNT
I hope that you found all that you came looking for and more in this Drink LMNT review. If you still have questions, feel free to reach out to the brand in the following ways:
- Email: [email protected]
- Call: 1-833-SALTY-AF
Check out these other trusted electrolytes and supplement alternatives: