Hobo Bags Review
Table of Contents
Leather is one of the most coveted products in the women’s fashion industry. The iconic Hobo purse features high quality, beautifully crafted leather, hand selected and designed with purpose.
With over 63.1K followers on Instagram and 316K followers on Facebook, Hobo has already made its mark as a noteworthy handbag retailer. The brand is featured in notable media outlets including Vogue, InStyle, and Elle. Hobo purses can be seen on the arms of celebrities like Naomi Watts, Kate Hudson, and Celine Dion.
This leather Hobo bags review will give you an inside look at Hobo’s most popular leather purses, what customers think of them, promotions, and other details to help you decide whether or not Hobo bags are worth a try.
Overview of Hobo
Hobo was established in Annapolis, Maryland in 1991, where their flagship store is still located today. Mother and daughter duo Toni Ray and Koren Ray founded the company with the belief that “our possessions should reflect our journey.”
Koren learned from her mother how to create products filled with “beauty, soul, and purpose.” Koren continues to run the Hobo business today with a “nostalgic tribute to the methods and soul of the 70’s” alongside her husband.
Before this leather Hobo bags review gets into some best selling arm candy, we’ll go over the pros and cons of this carefully crafted brand.
- Fine leather craftsmanship passed down through generations
- Family run business
- Bags have lots of compartments and pockets
- Smooth and buttery leather fabric
- Purses available in a range of beautiful prints and styles
- Bags last a long time if cared for properly
- Customers receive 10% off upon signing up for the Hobo newsletter
- Hobo bags are costly and more of an investment buy
- Some colors online appear different in person
- The strap on crossbody Hobo bags is not long enough for some buyers
- Customers report some zippers being difficult to close, bags appearing bigger or smaller on the website than they are in reality
Hobo designs bags and wallets in a variety of styles, including crossbody Hobo bags, shoulder bags, backpacks, totes, satchels, clutches, and wristlets. This leather Hobo bags review will showcase some of the brand’s best sellers.
Fern Crossbody Bag
According to Hobo, the Fern Crossbody Bag is a must have, and honestly, this leather Hobo bags review can understand why. With its sleek and unique form, this black leather Hobo bag is a showstopper. The Old English Brass hardware is gorgeous and functional, and the crossbody style works for everyday use.
Made in Hobo’s signature velvet hide and shown here in black, the Fern Crossbody Bag features a quirky and cute U shaped zip closure with an exterior back smartphone pocket for easy access. The interior features just 1 zip pocket, but the bag is roomy enough to fit a wallet.
The Fern Crossbody Bag has a solid leather single strap measuring 26”. The Fern in velvet hide comes in a variety of other colors: Acorn, Butterscotch, Dew, Dusty Blue, Port, Sage Brush, and Scarlet for $128, with some shades discounted to $98.
The Fern Crossbody Bag comes in other leathers as well:
- Metallic: Gilded Leaf, Heavy Metal, Heavy Metal Gold, Rose Dust, Sandshell, Titanium $138; some colors are discounted to $95
- Vintage Hide: Black, Brick, Cedar, Chocolate, Honey, Mustard, Riviera $128
Sheila Travel Bag
The Sheila Travel Bag is great for the girl who needs to carry a lot but likes to do it with style and ease. These large Hobo bags help you carry all the things you need effortlessly with the crossbody strap. It’s perfect for that overnight trip to a friend’s house and is one of the Hobo original bags that’s popular among customers and known to sell out.
Featured in a Titanium metallic leather hide with Gun Metal hardware, the Sheila Travel Bag has a top zip closure and exterior front slip pocket. Inside, you’ll find 2 slip pockets, a pen pocket, a zip pocket, and 2 slip pockets with a Wanderlust lining.
The Sheila Travel Bag is sturdy for travel with a solid leather single strap for the crossbody measuring 20” and two smaller solid leather double handles, which this leather Hobo bags review has found come in handy with heavier bags.
Other metallic colors for the Sheila Travel Bag are Heavy Metal Gold, Heavy Metal, and Gilded Leaf. Hobo’s metallic Sheila Travel Bag is priced at $358. This Hobo bag comes in other leathers:
- Hair on Hide: Mink $428
- Limited Edition: Glam Snake $358
- Soft Washed Hide: Black and Red $298
- Vintage Hide: Black, Brick, Cedar, Emerald, Flint, Garnet, Honey, Lemongrass, Riviera, Woodlands $328; some colors are discounted to $262
Darcy Convertible Crossbody
The Darcy Convertible Crossbody is one of Hobo’s most versatile bags. It converts 3 ways into a crossbody, a baguette bag, or a wristlet. Small enough for a night out and suitable for a day of shopping or errands, this crossbody is made from Hobo’s signature vintage hide leather and features brushed antique brass hardware and a zip closure.
The exterior back has a signature smartphone pocket, the interior front has a bill slot and 6 credit card slots, and the interior back has a zip pocket and Wanderlust lining. The Darcy Convertible Crossbody has 2 solid leather single straps, one that measures 7” for the wristlet and a 26” strap for crossbody wear.
Other colors for the Darcy Convertible Crossbody made in the Hobo’s signature vintage hide are Black, Blossom, Garnet, Honey, Lemongrass, Mint, Seafoam, Whisper Blue and is $118; some colors are discounted to $95.
The Darcy Convertible Crossbody also comes in other leathers:
- Hair on Hide: Mink $148
- Limited Edition: Desert Tie Dye and Glam Snake for $128; some colors are discounted to $95
- Matte Vintage Hide: Black, Brick, Cedar, Flint, and Riviera for $118
- Metallic: Heavy Metal, Sandshell, and Titanium for $128 some colors are discounted to $95
This leather Hobo bags review thinks that the Birdy Crossbody would pair well with a wide-leg pant and wide-brimmed hat. Or basically any Coachella outfit. The tassel adds a playful element to a bag that is loved for its compact yet spacious interior.
Made from Hobo’s signature velvet hide shown here in Port, the Birdy features Old English Brass hardware and a hidden magnet closure. The exterior has a signature smartphone pocket and the interior has a slip pocket, pen pocket, and back zip pocket with a Wanderlust lining.
This Hobo bag has a solid leather single strap that measures 25.5”. The Birdy Crossbody comes in Acorn, Black, Butterscotch, Dew, Dusty Blue, Sage Brush, Scarlet, and Toffee for $218, with some bags discounted for $149. The Birdy Hobo bag is also available in metallic leather, Heavy Metal, and Titanium for $228.
Pier Convertible Shoulder Bag
The Pier Convertible Shoulder Bag allows you to switch between a Hobo shoulder bag and a crossbody Hobo bag. This bag is reminiscent of the ’70s and made from Hobo’s signature soft velvet hide, shown here in Acorn. This leather Hobo bag review dreams of wearing it while going for lunch with the girls or to a coffee shop work session with a laptop tucked inside.
The Pier Convertible Shoulder Bag features Old English brass hardware, a hidden magnet closure, and a signature smartphone pocket. The interior has 3 slip pockets, a zip pocket, and a pen pocket with a Wanderlust patterned lining. The bag has solid double leather straps, 11” and 20”.
These leather Hobo shoulder bags come in Black, Dew, Dusty Blue, Port, Sage Brush, and Scarlet for $288, with some models discounted to $195. The Pier Convertible Shoulder Bag also comes in Heavy Metal and Titanium metallics for $298.
Lauren Clutch Wallet
The Lauren Clutch Wallet is Hobo bags’ most popular style. Made from their signature vintage hide leather shown here in Chocolate, this wallet features brushed nickel hardware, hidden magnet closure, and a Wanderlust patterned lining.
Carefully thought out for the many, many items women have on them at all times, the exterior front has a zip pocket, the exterior back has a bill pocket, a slip pocket, and 6 credit card slots. The interior contains an ID holder, 3 credit card slots, and a zip pocket. It’s no wonder over 1 million Lauren Clutch Wallets have been sold to date.
You have many color options to choose from in the signature vintage hide. The Lauren Clutch Wallet comes in Black, Brick, Cedar, Emerald, Flint, Garnet, Honey, Latte, Lemongrass, Mint, Mustard, Riviera, Sapphire, and Seafoam for $138; some colors are discounted to $99.
The Lauren Clutch Wallet comes in other leathers as well:
- Limited edition: Desert Tie Dye, Glam Snake, and Summertime Abstract for $148; some colors are discounted to $119
- Metallics: Distressed Gold, Gilded Lead, Heavy Metal, Heavy Metal Gold, Rose Dust, Sandshell, and Titanium for $148; some colors are discounted to $119
- Velvet Hide: Acorn, Black, Dew, Dusty Blue, Sage Brush, Scarlet, Toffee for $158; some colors are discounted to $115
Euro Slide Wallet
The Euro Slide Wallet is essential for keeping your most important items together in the same place. Big enough to fit a passport, the Euro Slide Wallet tucks nicely into your purse or is small enough to carry by hand when running into a store.
Hobo’s Euro Slide Wallet is made with the brand’s signature vintage hide leather, shown here in Riviera, which ages beautifully over time. The wallet features brushed antique brass hardware, with an ID holder and 5 credit card slots on the exterior front. The exterior back features a slip pocket and a zip pocket for multi-functionality.
The Euro Slide Wallet also comes in Black, Blossom, Brick, Cedar, Chocolate, Emerald, Flint, Garnet, Gravel, Honey, Lemongrass, Mint, Mustard, Seafoam, and Whisper Blue colors that will suit many personalities. This handy organizer is $58, with some colors discounted to $38.
Other options for the Euro Slide Wallet include:
- Metallic leather: Distressed Gold, Gilded Lead, Rose Dust, Sandshell, and Titanium for $64; some colors are discounted to $45
- Limited edition: Desert Tie Dye, Glam Snake, and Summertime Abstract and is $64; some colors are discounted to $45
Hobo Bag Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
Hobo has 3.5/5 stars on TrustPilot from 6 reviews. Customers write that “the quality of the leather is sublime” and their customer service is “responsive and diligent.” The one negative review is in regards to a poor customer service.
Customers on the Hobo website rate the products as 5/5 stars among 8520 reviews. Multiple customers on and off the Hobo official website write of having multiple Hobo leather bags and Hobo wallets, reporting that they love their products for the way they’re designed with handy pockets and details.
“I absolutely LOVE this wallet. It has two outside pockets, one with a snap closure, and one with a slip in, two zippered compartments, one with card slots, and one that will fit up to an iPhone 8plus, and lots of space for cards and other items on the inside. It firmly closes via strong, concealed magnets that are so totally cool!” reads one leather Hobo bags review on Influenster.
This leather Hobo bags review found that the reviews that are 4 stars on the website point out that the colors of certain bags are different in person than on the website. Some customers report features of some bags, like clasps, not functioning properly.
Hobo bags have impressive ratings from Amazon customers. Take a look at how these purses perform on the site:
- Hobo Vintage Lauren Wallet: 4.7/5 stars out of 699 reviews
- Hobo Women’s Sable Wristlet: 4.8/5 stars out of 292 reviews
- Hobo Vintage Vida Clutch Wristlet: 4.6/5 stars out of 159 reviews
- Hobo Rachel Trifold Wallet: 4.7/5 stars out of 185 reviews
- Vintage Euro Slide Credit Card Holder: 4.9/5 stars out of 116 reviews
Are Hobo Bags Worth It?
This leather Hobo bag review discovered highly positive reviews for the purses. In terms of design, just by looking at the bags, you can tell they are authentic. The styles and patterns are unique and look extremely well made.
Are Hobo bags good quality? Yes, they are. Their leather is handpicked, and it’s clear that Hobo fulfills its mission of crafting handbags with beauty and soul. Their website showcases customers who have had their bags for years, and keep coming back for more.
So, while Hobo leather bags are costly, it’s an investment into a style piece that you’ll enjoy long term. There are very few complaints about this company in general. Almost every customer loves their bag (or multiple bags). This leather Hobo bags review full-heartedly believes their products are worth the buy.
Hobo Promotions & Discounts
Give a friend $25 off of their first purchase at Hobo and you get $25 off your next order. You’ll get your $25 once they pay for an order that’s over $99. Another Hobo bags discount available is 10% off your first full price order when you sign up for their newsletter.
Throughout the year you can find a Hobo bags sale on their website on certain items, so keep checking!
Where to Buy Hobo Bags
This leather Hobo bags review found out there’s a ton of places you can buy Hobo bags. Purchasing from HoboBags.com is especially great for those who want to choose from their entire collection or who want to ship internationally.
Another way to buy is by shopping on the Hobo bags Amazon page. Hobo Bags also has a flagship store in Annapolis, Maryland.
Other retailers where you can find Hobo bags include:
- To find another retailer near you, use the Hobo website’s Store Locator
How do you clean a Hobo bag?
The founders of this company love leather, especially the beautiful way it breaks in and ages. But they note that it still requires care throughout its life.
Hobo recommends using high-quality, alcohol-free cleaner or conditioner to maintain the leather. Or, you can take your item to a leather specialist or even a cobbler, if you want to make sure it’s done right.
What is Hobo’s Shipping Policy?
Hobo bags offer US and international shipping. Shipping costs are provided directly from UPS and vary depending on the type of shipping you choose, your delivery location, and the dimensional weight of your package.
Domestic shipping times are estimated as follows, according to our leather Hobo bags review:
- UPS Ground: 2-10 business days
- UPS 3-Day Select: 3 business days
- UPS Second-Day Air: 2 business days
- UPS Next Day Air: 1 business day
United States APO, DPO, and FPO military addresses may take up to 3 weeks for shipping. This leather Hobo bags review notes that order processing time is between 1-3 days for domestic orders
International orders placed with Hobo take 3-5 days to process. International shipping times are estimated at between 2-3 weeks, and depending on location, you may have shipping duties upon receiving your package.
What is Hobo’s Return Policy?
Hobo offers free returns from locations within the US. Returns must be new, unworn merchandise with the original tags and packaging and must be returned within 45 days of purchase. Their return policy can only be applied to orders that were placed on Hobobags.com.
This leather Hobo bags review shares a step-by-step guide to the purse return process:
- Head over to the Hobo Returns Portal and enter the email address used to place your order, or your order number and zip code
- Once you’re in the Returns Portal, select what you’d like to return, choose a reason and then click ‘Complete Return’
- You can then confirm your refund amount which included taxes and any discounts that were applied. It does not include shipping costs
- Print off your UPS return label and return packing slip, placing the label on the outside of the box and the packing slip inside of the box, and drop off at a UPS shipping center; make sure you do this within 7 days of printing off your return label
- If you’d rather just use your return credit as an exchange, you can use the credit to shop online at Hobo by using the Hobo instant credit code in the ‘Gift Card’ box when checking out
- Your return will be processed in 3-5 days from when it is received and the balance remaining from your instant credit will be refunded back to your original form of payment
Hobo does not accept returns for orders shipped outside of the US or final sale items. Items from their Makers Market and Artisan Series are considered final sale.
How to Contact Hobo
If you have lingering questions after this leather Hobo bags review, you can reach out to Hobo customer service Monday-Friday 9:00 am-5:30 pm EST. You can contact them by:
- Phone: 1 (866) 516 – 6042
- Email: [email protected]
- Web Chat: Clicking the “chat” bubble at the bottom left corner of Hobo’s webpage
Explore your options for luxury purses. Check out these trendy brands: