In partnership with Moonbird
Table of Contents
By the time you exit the womb, you should have a handle on breathing. It’s automatic, much like having a heartbeat, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get better at it.
That’s why athletes have professional breath coaches and people like Wim Hof can make a career off of breathing deeply. And that’s without going into the connection between breath control and anxiety, which is well-reported in scientific literature.
This brings me to Moonbird, a doctor-recommended device that can help you reconnect with your breathing to help you manage anxiety, stress, and restlessness. It’s not an oxygen tank, it’s a small handheld sensor that expands and contracts so you know when to inhale and exhale. The process couldn’t be simpler.
Among other claims, Moonbird states that their device can help you:
- Reduce stress in as little as 5 minutes
- Fall asleep in under 8 minutes
- Provide portable and accessible care
Is it too good to be true, or does it live up to its lofty goals? I’ll try to answer those questions in my Moonbird review as I look into how the product works, its benefits and features, discuss its target audience, and more. To kick things off, I’ll look at the Moonbird’s highlights.
- Promotes Relaxation: The Moonbird device helps activate the parasympathetic nervous system through deep breathing, promoting relaxation and reducing stress.
- Guided Breathing: Provides a tactile and visual guide for deep breathing exercises, making it easier for users to follow along and stay focused.
- Variety of Breathing Techniques: Offers three distinct breathing exercises, including balanced breathing, box breathing, and 4-7-8 breathing, each designed to target specific relaxation and stress reduction goals.
- Personalized Care: Moonbird‘s website offers a quiz to help users develop personalized care routines, enhancing the tailored experience.
- Measures Health Markers: Tracks metrics such as heart rate, heart rate variability, and coherence, providing users with insights into their stress and anxiety levels before, during, and after deep breathing exercises.
- Progress Tracking: The device stores historical data, allowing users to track their progress over time and potentially incentivizing them to stick to their deep breathing practice.
- Audio Guides: Offers audio guides on dealing with stress-related conditions like anxiety and insomnia, providing additional resources for users.
- Positive Customer Reviews: Many customers have reported positive experiences with the Moonbird device, citing improved sleep, relaxation, and anxiety reduction.
How Does Moonbird Work?
In a nutshell, the Moonbird works by activating your parasympathetic nervous system to help you relax and destress through one of our most basic biological functions – breathing.
Notice how whenever you’re stressed, anxious, or on edge, you never breathe deeply. Well, by taking long, patient breathes, you can engage the parasympathetic nervous system and slow down your body and mind.
To engage in this process, the Moonbird gives you a touch-based feedback loop that you can follow. In simpler terms, it grows bigger and smaller in your hand. Your breathing should follow its changes in size and density.
There are no flashing lights or loud noises, so the Moonbird is a calming guide that directs your breathing rather than forcing you to follow along. The device’s gentle stretching and recoiling is relaxing to hold.
That’s not where Moonbird’s capabilities end. On its own, it’s a solid enough device, but what shoots it over the moon is how it measures your health markers so you can see how your breathing has changed in the short and long term. You can also cycle through different breathing exercises and access guides on dealing with various stress-related conditions like insomnia and anxiety.
The majority of health benefits that users will derive from the Moonbird come from the fact that they’ll be engaging in deep breathing exercises. An exhaustive list of those benefits is as follows:
- Calms the Nervous System: Activates the parasympathetic nervous system, reducing the body’s stress response and promoting relaxation.
- Reduces Heart Rate: Helps lower heart rate, providing a physical sense of calm during anxious moments.
- Lowers Cortisol Levels: May decrease cortisol levels, the stress hormone, contributing to reduced anxiety.
- Increases Oxygen Supply: Enhances oxygen intake, improving oxygenation of the brain and body to counteract panic.
- Focuses Attention: Diverts attention from anxious thoughts by concentrating on breath rhythm.
- Promotes Mindfulness: Encourages mindfulness by directing attention to breath sensations, reducing rumination.
- Enhances Mood: Stimulates endorphin release, promoting a sense of well-being and positivity.
- Improves Focus and Attention: Aids individuals with ADHD in enhancing focus and attention span.
- Calms Hyperactivity: Regulates hyperactivity and impulsivity by activating the parasympathetic nervous system.
- Enhances Self-Control: Improves self-regulation and emotional control in individuals with ADHD.
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety: Lowers stress and anxiety levels, which can exacerbate ADHD symptoms.
- Promotes Relaxation: Helps manage sensory overload and encourages relaxation in autism.
- Sensory Regulation: Assists in sensory regulation, reducing sensory overload in individuals with autism.
- Anxiety Management: Effective in managing anxiety, a common concern among individuals with autism.
- Promotes Self-Calming: Teaches self-calming skills to individuals with autism during times of distress.
- Enhances Emotional Awareness: Helps individuals with autism become more aware of emotions and reactions.
- Improves Focus and Transitions: Assists in transitioning between activities and maintaining focus.
Now, while you can access those same benefits by breathing on your own without the Moonbird’s help, the little device has a few other noteworthy advantages. Namely, how it guides users through breathing exercises, reducing any anxiety or confusion that could arise when trying to monitor one’s breath.
Essentially, the Moonbird dictates the pace of breathing, meaning you only need to focus on following its rhythm. You don’t need to count out loud or fret whether you’re breathing too long or too short – the Moonbird does that for you.
Additionally, the Moonbird can give you biofeedback as to how your body changes before, during, and after deep breathing. You can’t get that amount of information if you breathe without its aid, and for some people, seeing objective numbers can help them stick to a deep breathing regimen.
Moonbird has three breathing exercises, each of which has a purpose. Balanced breathing, box breathing, and 4-7-8 breathing are all specific deep breathing techniques that can be effective for promoting relaxation, reducing stress, and enhancing overall well-being. Each technique involves a specific pattern of inhaling, holding the breath, and exhaling. Here’s an overview of each technique:
- Balanced breathing, also known as equal breathing, involves inhaling and exhaling for an equal duration. This technique helps create a sense of balance and calm by regulating the breath. It’s often used to promote relaxation and focus.
- Box breathing, also known as four-square breathing, involves four phases: inhale, hold, exhale, and hold again. The technique is named “box” because each phase is typically of equal duration, creating a square pattern.
- The 4-7-8 breathing technique involves a specific pattern of inhaling, holding the breath, and exhaling. This technique is known for its potential to promote relaxation and reduce anxiety.
The Moonbird also provides you with information about your heart rate, heart rate variability, and coherence, as each metric can be used to decode your stress and anxiety levels. Essentially, they tell you how well the breathing exercises are working for you.
The Moonbird app stores these metric readings in its history so that you can see your progress over time. This is helpful given that, as humans, we’re driven to improve, so measuring our progress can incentivize us to stick to a practice or schedule.
Finally, the Moonbird offers audio guides on a few health conditions that are greatly impacted by deep breathing. These guides cover anxiety, insomnia, and stress, and can help you get a better idea of how they manifest and what power (if any) we have over them.
How To Use Moonbird
Customers are drawn to Moonbird for its simplicity. Using it requires practically no additional effort than just breathing. In a nutshell, you breathe in when the Moonbird expands and breathe out when it contracts. It removes all the mental energy you’d expend counting breaths or measuring how long you inhale and exhale.
Quite literally, all you need to do to use the Moonbird is follow its lead. You’ll feel it grow and shrink in the palm of your hand, and your only job is to match your breathing to that rhythm.
Of course, you can also check out the Moonbird app for in-depth coverage of your biomarkers like heart rate, heart rate variability, and coherence. However, it’s not necessary to keep track of those if all you want is help breathing deeply.
Who Is Moonbird For?
Moonbird is for people who deal with stress-related conditions that do not wish to seek typical medical treatment. Perhaps they have an aversion to medication or they can’t afford prescriptions. Whatever it is, Moonbird is ideal for these folks.
Alternatively, you’ll want to check out Moonbird if you want to connect with your breath more regularly but need some help doing so.
Moonbird Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
With everything I’ve said thus far in my Moonbird review, the product sounds promising. However, all that promise is for naught if real users felt it was ineffective. That’s why I’ve looked into customer Moonbird reviews to check if the device lives up to its lofty goals. Here’s a quick list of aggregate consumer scores that are up to date as of August 2023.
- Trust Pilot: 4.7/5 stars based on more than 115 pieces of customer feedback
- Facebook: 4.2/5 stars based on more than 25 pieces of customer feedback
- Amazon: 4/5 stars based on more than 45 pieces of customer feedback
As you can see from those numbers, the majority of shoppers were thankful for the Moonbird, saying that its design and implementation were thoughtful. I read numerous testimonials in which customers fell asleep holding the Moonbird, engaged with breathwork more easily, and used the device as a key component for their anxiety treatment.
“I am really enjoying using Moonbird to relax and sleep. It took a while to charge, but it is holding the charge for a long time. It was easy to set up. I had to download the app and pair the device, but once that was done, it is super easy to use,” wrote one customer on Amazon.
They added, “I choose what type of experience I want (I usually choose sleep) and I select the duration and while I hold the Moonbird, it expands and contracts in my hand and I sync my breathing to it. The app plays a guided meditation that helps me relax my whole body and focus on my breathing so I can fall asleep faster. There isn’t anything disappointing about this product.”
Moonbird was useful for a variety of treatments. Customers weren’t just using it for their anxiety or their sleeping issues. Oftentimes, they used it to deal with two or more conditions at once. I read Moonbird reviews from customers who employed the device to help them with ADHD, autism, and even their athletic endeavors.
As one customer put it, “Moonbird has been so helpful for easing my anxiety and improving my sleep. It has worked in a way that other apps taht I simply listen to haven’t. Having a physical device is so useful to really engage me in the breath work. Thank you Moonbird!”
Some customers pointed out that a physical device helped them connect their breath to their body and remain calm. It’s the same idea behind stress-relief balls you commonly see on office workers’ desks. Obviously, Moonbird is a tad more technologically advanced than one of those squishy balls, but you get my point.
“I like the design- it fits in my hand smoothly, and it’s like holding a small breathing bird. I find it’s comforting to hold it as I fall asleep, and when I wake up through the night, I just give it a little shake and it starts breathing again, so it’s easy to breathe along with it until I fall back asleep,” one shopper wrote.
Luckily, the negative aspects customers mentioned in their Moonbird reviews were minor. Some lamented the fact that the Moonbird was too large for their hands so they couldn’t feel the pulse. Others said that the three breathing speeds were limited, though they nonetheless complimented each speed on their utility.
I’ll cap off this section of my Moonbird review by mentioning that the company’s customer service received ample praise from consumers for their open communication lines and willingness to engage in discussions. One user on Trust Pilot wrote that they emailed Moonbird’s team about the science behind the tool and received an in-depth response that more than answered their questions.
Here’s another customer review that commended Moonbird as a company and a product. “Fabulous customer service from Moonbird. You are a model for how to support your customers.
Moonbird is a great little gadget. Clearly, a lot of thought has gone into it. Carry it anywhere for some instant breath work.”
Is Moonbird Worth It?
For all the goodwill Moonbird promises, its main drawback is the price. The device costs $199, which can be far too expensive for some customers. Honestly, I can’t blame them, because that’s a large sum to pay for what the device actually does.
That being said, the price is the only notable downside I can find with the Moonbird. Its simplicity, detailed readings, and usefulness are aspects that deserve to be championed. If you can afford the Moonbird, I think it’s worth it.
Where to Buy Moonbird
You can purchase Moonbird from the brand’s website, www.moonbird.life, or on Amazon.
What is Moonbird’s Shipping Policy?
Moonbird ships to most EU countries, the UK, and the United States. They state that most orders take 2 to 5 business days to arrive at the destination.
What is Moonbird’s Return Policy?
As stated earlier, Moonbird has a 30-day trial period in which customers can send back their device to receive a full refund. The Moonbird must be in brand-new condition and returned in its original packaging.
How to Contact Moonbird
If you have any remaining questions at the end of my Moonbird review, you’re better off speaking directly with the company. Thankfully, by all customer accounts, they’re more than happy to field any questions you toss their way. You can send them an email at [email protected].
Check out other related reviews that you might also like: