Native Deodorant Review
Table of Contents
For the last few years, I’ve been on a mission to clean up my personal care routine. That means checking labels like a madwoman and researching tricky words that look like keyboard mistakes, of which there are plenty in an industry that serves nearly 300 million Americans.
In my search for kind products, I’ve come across many that don’t work, a few that aren’t as clean as they claim to be, and some that fit the bill. Native is a name that has come highly recommended.
With a line of clean and natural personal care products for men, women and teens, their collection includes everything from their signature deodorant to body wash, bar soap, and toothpaste.
Native believes in creating personal care products that are good for your body. I learned that they put a ton of thought, care, and innovation into their products to keep you “feeling and smelling fresh”—a task that’s more easily said than done.
But not only does Native Deodorant actively protect against odors, it does so with safe ingredients. The team at Native never uses aluminum, parabens, or sulfates in their products—only what’s needed to get the job done.
Their mission? To positively impact the confidence of men and women through products that contain ingredients you understand. Though the label contains more ingredients than a few twigs and wishes, I appreciate that they formulate their products to really work.
Is this vegan and cruelty-free brand worth the praise? I intend to find out in this Native Deodorant review by looking into their best-sellers, ingredients, prices, feedback, and more. Let’s begin by looking at the brand’s pros and cons.
Pros and Cons
- Natural Ingredients: Native deodorant is known for its use of natural ingredients, including plant-based extracts and essential oils.
- Aluminum-Free: Native deodorant is aluminum-free, which is a significant advantage for those concerned about the potential health risks associated with aluminum-based antiperspirants.
- Effective Odor Control: Many users report that Native deodorant effectively controls body odor throughout the day. The blend of natural ingredients helps neutralize odor-causing bacteria and provides a fresh scent.
- Variety of Scents: Native offers a wide range of scents to suit different preferences, including floral, citrus, herbal, and unscented options.
- Long-Lasting: Native deodorant is known for its long-lasting effectiveness. Many users report that it keeps them feeling fresh and odor-free for extended periods, even during physical activities.
- Cruelty-Free: Native deodorant is cruelty-free, meaning it is not tested on animals.
- Transition Period: Some individuals may experience an adjustment period when switching to natural deodorants like Native. During this time, the body may need to adapt, and some users may experience increased sweating or odor until their body adjusts to the new product.
- Potential Sensitivity: Although Native deodorant is made with natural ingredients, some individuals may still experience skin sensitivity or irritation.
- Price: Native deodorant can be more expensive compared to conventional deodorant options available in the market.
- Limited Availability: While Native has gained popularity, it may not be as widely available in physical stores compared to more mainstream deodorant brands. However, it is readily available for purchase online.
Recent Studies About Deodorants
You’re clearly interested in science if you’re reading this Native deodorant review, seeing as how the brand’s image is all about scientifically-backed ingredients. As such, let’s look into some studies about deodorants and its ingredients.
- This 2010 study looked at the link between eczema, aluminum-content, and deodorant. It found that aluminum allergies are rare.
- A 2021 review examined the evidence that parabens used in personal care products pose a health risk.
- An in-depth review of the relationship between aluminum and overall human health found that the former can potentially affect the central nervous system.
Native deodorant uses a range of natural and plant-based ingredients in their formulations. Here are some of the main ingredients commonly found in Native deodorant:
- Coconut Oil: Known for its moisturizing properties, coconut oil helps to keep the underarms hydrated. A 2014 study found that topical application of virgin coconut oil resulted in improved skin hydration and reduced symptoms compared to the control group.
- Shea Butter: This ingredient helps to nourish and soften the skin, providing a smooth application. A review article highlights the moisturizing and antioxidant properties of shea butter, which can contribute to improving skin health and reducing the signs of aging.
- Tapioca Starch: Tapioca starch is used as an absorbent to help absorb moisture and keep the underarms dry.
- Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda): Sodium bicarbonate acts as a natural deodorizer, neutralizing odors and keeping you smelling fresh. This study suggests that baking soda may have soothing properties for the skin.
- Beeswax or Candelilla Wax: Beeswax or candelilla wax is often included to give the deodorant a solid consistency and aid in its application. This study focuses on the preparation and characterization of solid lipid nanoparticles based on beeswax. It explores the potential use of beeswax in delivery systems for various cosmetic and pharmaceutical applications.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps to soothe and protect the skin. This review article provides an overview of the physiological role of vitamin E in the skin and discusses its potential applications in dermatology.
- Essential Oils: Native deodorant incorporates various essential oils to provide pleasant scents. Some popular options include lavender, eucalyptus, coconut and vanilla, and citrus oils.
These ingredients work together to offer effective odor control and a pleasant user experience.
How to Use
To use Native deodorant effectively, follow these general guidelines:
- Clean and Dry: Ensure your underarms are clean and dry before applying the deodorant. You can use mild soap and water to wash the area and pat it dry with a towel.
- Twist or Scoop: Depending on the type of Native deodorant you have (stick, roll-on, or cream), twist the dial or scoop a small amount of product onto your fingertips.
- Apply to Underarms: Gently apply the deodorant to your underarms. Start with a thin, even layer and adjust the amount based on your personal needs. Remember that a little goes a long way.
- Rub or Spread: If using a stick or cream deodorant, you can rub it onto your underarms in a circular motion or use your fingertips to spread it evenly. For a roll-on deodorant, simply glide the rollerball over your underarms.
- Let it Dry: Allow the deodorant to dry completely before putting on clothing to prevent any transfer or smudging.
- Reapply as Needed: Native deodorant is typically effective throughout the day, but you may choose to reapply if necessary, especially during intense physical activity or in hot weather.
4 Best-Selling Native Products
Up ahead in this Native deodorant review, I’ll take you through some of the brand’s most popular scents.
Although I did find they do have one unscented variety available, the rest is a mix of dainty florals and sweet-smelling fruits, along with musky herbs and a fresh cucumber-mint mix. Some are distinctly feminine, others lean more toward men, and there are a few scents that fall somewhere in the middle, which I think could be enjoyed by both ladies and lads.
Native deodorants fall into Classic, Sensitive, and Seasonal collections—all are free from aluminum and parabens and glide on easily. I’ll take a look at a variety of scents across the board so you can decide what’s best for your pits.
Citrus and Herbal Musk Native Deodorant Review
First up, I’ll be taking a look at the Citrus and Herbal Musk Native Deodorant review, which won an award from AskMen. This scent is an interesting one—although it’s part of the men’s deodorant line, many women enjoy it as well.
I read that the Citrus and Herbal Musk has a cozy scent, a little bit of a woods vibe, along with some spice, orange and lemon. Sounds pretty inviting to me.
This blend of herbs and citrus provides effective protection against that dreaded BO, whether you’ve just come from the gym, went for a power walk with your dog, or you’re sitting on a patio in hot weather.
Citrus and Herbal Musk Deodorant is one of their Classic scents, so it’s available all year round for $13.
Cucumber Mint Native Deodorant Review
In the 90s, cucumber scents were big, so this is one really takes me back. Cucumber Mint Native Deodorant? So refreshing! It sounds like a fancy flavored water, for good reason.
This unisex deodorant is perfect to cool things down in the summer months. It’s got a subtle crispness to it that, personally, just makes me feel like I’m clean, but I also love that when using it, I’m doing right by my body.
The Cucumber Mint Native Deodorant is a Classic scent, available throughout the year for $13.
Mandarin and White Peach Native Deodorant Review
I have super sensitive skin. Just looking at it wrong will cause me to break out in a rash. Well, not exactly, but you get the idea.
Skin sensitivities are a common problem, and the Mandarin and White Peach Native Deodorant addresses this. It’s actually part of the women’s Sensitive and Seasonal collections, so you may not spot it year-round. The sweetness in the scent comes from the peach with a punch of orange. If you’re a fan of fruity scents, this one’s for you!
It’s a fan favorite too, considering the Mandarin and White Peach Native Deodorant has more than 17k 5-star reviews. Impressed? I certainly am.
You can get it now for $13 or save $2 if you subscribe to Native (I’ll give you more details about this in the Where to Buy section).
Lavender and Rose Native Deodorant Review
If you think that the Lavender and Rose Native Deodorant for women sounds sweet and delightful…you’re right. With a mix of bold lavender and subtle rose, it’ll help you feel your best for early morning coffee runs or date night. Lavender helps me to relax, so I’d love this one for a little workday zen.
This Classic deodorant is available all year, so you can definitely get attached to it. All about feeling confident, wearing this delicious scent is even better knowing you’re treating your body and the earth well.
The Lavender and Rose Native Deodorant is available for a one-time purchase of $13 but by subscribing, you’ll save $2.
Who is Native Deodorant For?
Native deodorant is designed for individuals who are seeking natural and aluminum-free options for underarm odor protection. It is suitable for both men and women and is available in a range of scents to cater to different preferences.
Native Deodorant Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
When it comes to personal care products, I’m personally interested in quality and efficacy. In this part of my Native deodorant review, I thought it would be useful to look into what customers have to say.
Hitting up nativecos.com first, I noticed that the brand’s deodorant (overall) scored a 4.3/5 stars from more than 33k customers as of June 2023. With over 22K 5-star reviews, here’s a Native deodorant review that sums up customer sentiments nicely:
“Needless to say I decided to try Native, OMG it is THEE best natural deo hands down(in my opinion-). Recently I bought another one from you’re website, the scent is Tie Dye Vanilla Cupcake OME it’s AMAZING!! It last ALL FLIPPING DAY!”
In the attempt to give you honesty, I looked high and low for flaws in these products—but when I turned to Amazon reviews, there really wasn’t much. Checking out the Coconut & Vanilla deodorant, I saw a 4.4/5 star score from over 74k shoppers as of June 2023.
In the comments, I read that many customers believe that Native is one of the very best aluminum free deodorants that they had tried. One wrote, “Smells perfectly vanilla! It works and keeps me fresh all day – even through aerobics workouts!”
One woman even commented that before Native, her boyfriend had tried every heavy-duty product on the market to no avail. With much sweating and odor, he turned to Native—and that changed everything (for her too!). They’ll never look back.
Though the majority (over 80% consistently) said that they love Native deodorant, some experienced a rash and said it made them smell bad. Remember that detox period? It’s real, and no matter which natural product you switch to, your body wants to get rid of that aluminum. Be prepared.
Overall, I found that reviewers loved Native’s scents and enjoyed that the products are all natural, cruelty free, and that they come in eco-friendly packaging. Something I was super happy to find: they didn’t feel the need to re-apply the deodorant during the day and said it lasted for quite a while.
Is Native Deodorant Worth It?
No stranger to the world of natural deodorant, I’ve tried my fair share of non-toxic deodorants. They didn’t all work.
That’s why this Native Deodorant review was so important in helping my answer the question: Is Native deodorant legit?—something I know you’re here wondering too. Well, I’m relieved, happy, and excited to announce, that, yes, it is.
I only scratched the surface here with the scents available, and I can say with confidence that no matter your preference, you’ll find something you love from its collection of classic, limited edition, and seasonal scents.
High quality and effective, Native Deodorant smells great, but most importantly, it has solid endurance and customers are happy with what they get. What more could you ask for, seriously?
Just keep in mind, it’ll take 2 weeks to let your body purge those nasty aluminums, so stick it out. The benefits await on the other side.
Native Deodorant Promotions & Discounts
For this Native deodorant review, I looked into deals and found that the brand actually offers a few. The first was that by signing up for updates, you’ll get 10% off your Native Deodorant order. Sweet!
I also noted that by subscribing, you can get 15% off your order, and by bundling, you can save 17%. Live in the US and want more? Spend $10 and you’ll get your order shipped for free.
Check the website regularly for a Native Deodorant promo code or a Native Deodorant discount code.
Let’s look at a few other brands with similarly clean ingredients labels.
- Function of Beauty: Using a four-step process, Function of Beauty creates individualized hair care for men and women that’s free from sulfates, parabens, and animal products.
- Timeless Skincare: Small-batch formulated skincare products that contain high concentrations of active ingredients. They offer products that specifically cater to all skin types.
- Myro: An award-winning sustainable and refillable deodorant subscription. The deodorants are aloe-based and include probiotics and sage.
Where to Buy Native Deodorant
To browse the brand’s entire scent inventory and subscribe, head over to the company website, Nativecos.com. In my search I also found you can also get select deodorants at Walmart, Sephora, Target, Walgreens, and CVS, as well as Amazon and Well.ca. So don’t stress, you have options!
Native Subscription Sign Up
When you sign up for a Native subscription, you can save up to 25% and get exclusive access to mini products. I don’t know about you but my heart melts for mini anything. By registering, you give Native permission to send items of your choice every month, two months, or a customized frequency.
The Native subscription is continuous, and your can skip a shipment or cancel any time with no penalties (I’ll cover more on their cancellation policy in the next section).
What is Aluminum Detoxing?
You won’t understand how bad traditional deodorant is for you until you go through aluminum detoxing. It’s not as scary as it sounds, but just be prepared for some redness and sweat…lots of sweat.
When swapping to a natural deodorant, Native warns that the process can take a few weeks. You’ve been swiping your pits with heavy metals for 10-20+years, after all. In the early stages, you may experience a growth in odor-causing bacteria, but trust me, it’s for the greater good.
How Long Does It Take Native Deodorant to Work?
I read that for some people, it can take up to 2 weeks to adjust to Native but others experience a seamless instant transition. Once you’ve made the transition, what will Native feel like?
After two weeks of use, Native will feel cleaner and simpler than traditional deodorants. The team suggests you stick with it for 2 weeks because this is the length of time your body will take to release the build up of aluminum.
Does Native Deodorant Have Antiperspirants?
First let me get down to the root of question: What is the difference between deodorant and antiperspirant? Well, if you break down the words, it leads you right to the answer: antiperspirant stops you from sweating. Kind of weird, huh? How does it work?
While Native deodorant is pro-perspiration, they don’t want you to stink and they’re against being wet. They think your body knows best and plugging your sweat glands is unhealthy for your body. That’s why there is no aluminum in their deodorants.
The aluminium in antiperspirant acts like a seal in your body’s sweat ducts. So, not only does it keep you from sweating, but it also keeps you from releasing byproducts of sweat. Wait a second, you might be thinking— hey, I don’t want to smell. Don’t worry, natural deodorant reduces and neutralizes the natural odours associated with sweat but your body still gets to do the natural process it is built to do. It’s a win for everyone.
Native Shipping Policy
I’ve got the skinny on the shipping policy in this Native deodorant review. Native ships to the United States, Canada, Australia, Brazil, France, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. All orders have tracking information attached to them that are sent by email.
For US orders, Native offers free shipping and Expedited Shipping for $10. Domestic orders are shipped within 1-2 business days and will arrive within 3-7 business days.
Amazingly, Native offers free shipping on international orders over $30 including subscription refills. I thought this was pretty great! You can track your order on the website. For countries outside the US, orders take 7-12 business days to arrive after shipping.
Native Return Policy
If you’re not totally vibing with Native products, you can return or exchange your first package. Native asks that you do so within 30 days of ordering. They really believe in the power of their product—so much so that they’ll cover the cost of return shipping.
One downfall is that Native is not able to accept returns or exchanges for orders shipped internationally or individual mini and travel size products. Additionally, your expedited shipping fees are non-refundable. Note that exchanges are not accepted for .35oz mini deodorants.
Cancel Native Subscription
I was happy to learn that there are no fees or penalties for discontinuing a Native subscription. Simply contact [email protected] to initiate the process, or log in to your online account and access your subscription.
Cancellations must be completed at least 5 days before the next scheduled billing date, which is shown on the My Account page. Cancellations received within less than 5 days until the next billing date will not be effective until the next billing period, and you’ll be responsible for all charges.
If you have questions beyond what I covered in this Native deodorant review, there are two ways to contact the team:
- Enter your message on the website
- Email [email protected]
Know your options for natural self care. Check out these popular brands: