Glossybox is a beauty subscription box service that sends five hand-picked beauty products to your door each month in a signature pink box. The box includes everything from skincare, like: face masks, eye creams, moisturizers, lip scrubs or shampoo and conditioners. To makeup, such as: primers, eye shadow, lip stick, concealer, eyeliner and makeup brushes. And other wellness products, varying from: hair accessories, candles, nail polish or hair products. All worth over $60 in estimated value.
The box is for anyone: friends, family or even for yourself. For $21/month you’ll receive premium cosmetics ranging from full-sized to travel-sized.
This Glossybox subscription review will cover key elements of the brand, its products, and beauty subscription to help you make a well informed purchase decision.
Overview of Glossybox
Glossybox was founded by Charles Abercron in Berlin, Germany. Since the brand’s founding in 2011, they’re now located in more than 10 different countries throughout North America. Glossybox is committed to introducing the best brands from around the world to their customers found by beauty trend scouters scattered across the globe. Their team of over 150 beauty enthusiasts work daily to source high-quality, niche and trendy beauty products from over 100 different brands.
The items included in Glossybox subscription boxes are made around the world. For more information on specific brands to find out where products are made, the ingredients used and how to apply them, Glossybox provides a list of its affiliates on their website.
After launching their online store, Glossybox started off by selling 50 boxes in the first thirty minutes and gaining around 500 customers within their first month. The company is quickly becoming one of the best beauty subscription box services in ten different countries worldwide.
This Glossybox subscription review weighs the positives and negatives of the brand:
- Shipping is free in the US
- Products valued at over $60
- Hand-picked, high-end, and trendy products from over 100 brands
- Easy and hassle free cancellation process
- Four different subscription options
- The brand is becoming the number one beauty box in 10 different countries
- Shipping only available within the US and Canada
- Shipping fees vary depending on where you are located
- Negative customer reviews beyond Glossybox website
How Does Glossybox Work?
A team of cosmetic experts at Glossybox carefully select an assortment of must-have beauty products for the subscriber to try each month. After payment is submitted, the items are packed and shipped from their warehouse in Kentucky. Once your payment is received, a box is reserved for you in the warehouse. Glossybox offers several variations of their subscription boxes each month.
When you are successfully subscribed to Glossybox, you begin having access to your Beauty Profile. It is a brief quiz about the condition of your skin and hair, which helps them personalize your products by carefully selecting brands and items that will meet your beauty needs. Another way to access your profile is by logging into your account and clicking on the option “My Beauty Profile.”
The brand prides themselves in knowing that each box is a surprise for their customers. To maintain that anticipation and excitement, they don’t reveal on their website what products are in the boxes each month. If you’re curious while reading this Glossybox subscription review, you can check out previous months products to see what is in store for you.
The most recent box of January 2020 included:
- BYBI Beauty Strawberry Booster
- Kandi Cosmetics Glow Up Primer and Setting Spray
- Tree Hut Sugarlips Lip Scrub
- MUDMASKY Sleep Repair Renewal Nourishing Mask
- Avant Skincare Hydra-Bright Collagen Eye Restoring Pads
- PURELEI Black Velvet Scrunchie
- Emma Hardie Pink Clay Detox Mask
When you sign up with Glossybox, you can choose between four different subscription options that last for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months. Once you pick the plan that works best for you, five premium beauty products with an estimated value of $60 are delivered straight to your doorstep. Delivery could take up to anywhere from two to 14 business days, it all depends on your location.
Glossybox offers subscribers GLOSSYCredits, a way to earn rewards and deals for buying additional products on lookfantastic, a website that offers over 14,000 extra beauty products. Some ways to stack up your credit are by referring a friend, leaving a Glossybox subscription review, completing surveys and filling out your profile.
How Much is Glossybox?
Glossybox offers you four different subscription box options. Start by selecting a payment plan of your choice. Choose between 1, 3, 6, or 12-month subscription box.
- If you want to try it out for one month, the cost is $21
- For 3 months subscribers pay $19.50/month, or $58.50 in one upfront payment
- Subscribers pay for 6 months at $18.50/month, or make an upfront payment of $111
- If you’d like to subscribe to Glossybox for 12 months, it costs $17.50/month or one upfront payment of $210
The payment for Glossybox subscription boxes will be taken monthly with the 1-month and upfront with the other packages (3, 6 or 12 months). The method of payment on file will be charged on the 1st of each month and the item will be dispatched on the 2nd. Like most subscription boxes, the subscription will automatically renew for another month; unless you cancel your contract before the 14th, a new subscription box is set to take place.
Glossybox Subscription Review: What Customers Think
Reading customer reviews is one of the best ways to figure out whether any product is worth buying. After looking at different review sites and feedback on the Glossybox website, here are some Glossybox reviews made by verified buyers:
CustomAffairs gave Glossybox an overall satisfaction score of just over two stars based on 29 ratings. A common complaint among customers is that they were charged for boxes they never received or never signed up for, having received the response: ‘I’m sorry we sold out of that,’” one customer said. Former subscribers continued to be charged even after having cancelled their subscriptions. The overall consensus is that the customer service isn’t great, the products tend to be mostly travel sized and run out quickly, and the items lack variation despite the beauty profile.
On Sitejabber, Glossybox reviews are far from good. Out of 54 reviews, it was only rated 1.5 stars out of 5. Complaints on this website consisted of Glossybox not offering enough makeup in the boxes, getting charged after cancelling, boxes weren’t received and unable to get refunds. Positive reviewers said they loved the packaging, the customer service was the best part and some products were so good they ordered more.
On the Glossybox website there are 99 reviews and a 4.41/5 star rating for the subscription overall. Most customers said they loved their products, there was a great selection, shipping was fast, Glossybox offers items that other subscription boxes don’t, the packing was detailed and awesome customer service. Other Glossybox reviews on the website were similar to the complaints outlined above.
To see if Glossybox offers you anything different than other subscription box services on the market, let’s continue this Glossybox subscription review by comparing and contrasting the main selling points of each:
|Brand||Cost per month||Number of items||Item size||Preference quiz?||Box value|
|Glossybox||$21||5-7||Full and travel||Yes||Over $60|
|FabFitFun||$49.95/ every 4 months||8-9||Full||Yes||Over $200|
|Ipsy||$10||5||Full and travel||Yes||$40-$80|
|BeautyFix||$24.95||8-10||Full and travel||No||Over $100|
More Beauty Subscription Box Reviews
Check out our in-depth reviews for:
Is Glossybox Worth It?
At this part of the Glossybox subscription review, I’ll share my thoughts based on pricing, value and customer feedback. To start off, I will say I’m familiar with subscription services. Back in the day when a lot of beauty YouTubers were being sponsored by Ipsy to un-bag the contents for their viewers, I was persuaded to try one out for myself. Although it was fun to essentially receive a present from me to me, I never ended up using many of the products and found myself throwing them out or forgetting about them.
With that being said, Glossybox could be different. The price for a Glossybox subscription is in the middle range compared to other services. The estimated value of the products provided is slightly less than that of competitors, but the amount of items you receive beats other boxes.
Without having tried Glossybox before, the only way I can form my decision is based off of customer reviews. And from what I read, it’s hit or miss on whether you will have a good experience with the company.
Glossybox Promotions & Discounts
To help you save even more with your purchase, the following Glossybox promo code and Glossybox coupon code is currently available for use:
- If you subscribe right now, you get 20% off the February box using the code: LOVELY20
- Get 20% off your full subscription if you are a student using code GLOSSYBOX. Simply register to verify your student status.
Where to Buy Glossybox
Glossybox can only be purchased on their website, and is not available on Amazon or at retail stores.
When Does Glossybox Ship?
The delivery days are estimates only and Glossybox cannot guarantee there won’t be delays. All orders are usually shipped within 14 business days from when the order was placed. Here are the following options indicating when you will receive your Glossybox:
- For US addresses, expect your package up to 2-5 business days
- For US addresses in the west coast, allow 3-6 additional business days to the delivery
- For Canadian addresses, delivery could take up to 10 business days
How to Cancel Glossybox Subscription
Sometimes we rush into decisions and wish we can take them back. If that’s the case for your Glossybox subscription, here are the steps you can take to cancel Glossybox:
- You have 14 days to cancel Glossybox
- The cancellation period expires at 14 days after you place an order, after that a third party acquires possession of the products
- To cancel Glossybox you must provide a clear statement as to why you are choosing to cancel; this can be done through your account using the Monthly plan cancellation request, Fixed Rate cancellation request, or by mail
- There is a Model Cancellation Form you can use as an outline for your statement, but it is not mandatory
- Items being returned must be unopened in their pristine and original condition
- If you choose to cancel, you will be reimbursed, including cost of delivery (only if you choose the least expensive/standard)
- A deduction might be made if the items are used, opened or broken
- The reimbursement will be issued either 14 days after the item is received back from customer, 14 days after evidence is provided that products have been returned, or 14 days after your decision to cancel Glossybox has been made
- Something to keep in mind is that if you subscribe after the 14th of every month, you are agreeing to the following monthly charge
- The Fixed Rate cancellation request will only take effect if submitted by the 15th of the expiry month
- If you cancel before the expiry period you won’t be refunded for the remaining boxes
- The 3, 6 or 12 month fixed term subscription boxes can’t be cancelled while the term is still in progress, but you can opt out of the renewal by the 14th
Glossybox offers shipping to the US and Canada. For all orders and shipments, speed and costs may vary depending on location and value of purchase orders. For your convenience, this Glossybox subscription review breaks down the steps you can expect:
- For US shipping, costs are already included in the price; additional taxes may apply for customers in New York, New Jersey and Kentucky
- For Canadians residents, there is a $5 fee for each box/month purchased
- Customers are responsible for paying duties and customs
- If you are interested in subscribing, it is advised to read the terms and conditions to be aware of any and all charges
- Address changes must be made by the 28th of the prior month
- The carrier has the right to charge a forwarding fee if the item is delivered to the wrong address
- Delivery dates are typically within 14 business days after the order is placed
- For those in the US, delivery is usually 2-5 business days; those on the west coast should expect an additional 3-6 business days
- Orders from Canada can take up to 10 business days
- Once your Glossybox is dispatched from the warehouse, a tracking number will be sent to your email
- You can also track your box by logging into your account and clicking “Recurring Profile and Orders”
- If your package is lost or it says it has been delivered, you can contact Glossybox within 30 days from the shipping date
- Reasons for receiving the subscription box later than others are based on location, profile preferences, bonus items and stock
Glossybox’s return policy is straightforward. All requests, fees, and processes may vary depending on the location and value of requested orders. For your convenience, this Glossybox subscription review offers a breakdown of the steps you can expect:
- You’ll need to contact the Glossybox customer service team before trying to make a return to request an authorization number
- You have to provide your order number and any issues you encountered
- Glossybox requires a proof of postage receipt when sending the item
- All beauty bags, beauty boxes, advent calendars or special edition boxes cannot be returned
- Do not refuse delivery if you have received a damaged product, instead contact Glossybox through your account using the online message centre with proof of damage using attached pictures
- Return postage costs are paid by the customer, unless the return is pre-authorized
For more information, inquiries, and services, the customer service team can be reached by submitting a request on their main website, phone, or through mail:
- Phone: 844-433-5145 from Monday to Thursday, 6am-9pm MST, Friday, 6am-5pm MST, Saturday 8am-12pm MST
- Email: Contact them via Message Centre through My Account. You will need to sign into your account to get in touch with them
- Write: 632 N. 2000 W.
It’s always better to have more options. Check out our reviews of other top beauty subscriptions: