The Farmer’s Dog Review
Table of Contents
About The Farmer’s Dog
The Farmer’s Dog is an online service that delivers freshly made pet food to your doorstep.
Driven by its motto to make food that involves “simple recipes, guided by science, and driven by love,” the brand has rethought pet food by blending human-grade ingredients and allowing customers to personalize food plans based on their dogs’ profiles and preferences.
In short, the brand has turned boring kibble into a fresh fine dining experience for your canine friend. The brand has been featured in notable media outlets including Forbes, Vogue, CBS News, Wall Street Journal, and Fast Company.
Its early advent into the business, coupled with its reputation for transparency, also explains the brand’s massive following on social media, with 143k followers on Instagram and more than 71k followers on Facebook.
Let’s face it, every day is a dog’s day. The Farmer’s Dog just gives it a tasty twist. That’s why The Farmer’s Dog review is here to tell you why you shouldn’t be the only one eating healthy. This company makes it easier for you and your furry friend with its real meat dog food delivered right to your doorstep, and we’ll show you why.
Why You Should Trust Us
Our mission is to help you make better, more informed purchase decisions.
Our team spends hours researching, consulting with medical experts, gathering insight from expert professionals, reviewing customer feedback, and analyzing products to provide you with the information you need.
Overview Of The Farmer’s Dog
The story of The Farmer’s Dog starts with Jada, a beautiful Rottweiler pup who struggled with severe digestive issues for 2 years. When her dad, Brett Podolsky, consulted a vet, he was advised to give her simple home-cooked food.
The effect was instant. Jada was cured overnight, and Brett became a fresh food advocate. Shortly after Jada’s cure, Brett teamed up with his friend and fellow dog parent Jonathan Regev to start The Farmer’s Dog.
Founded in 2014, The Farmer’s Dog was among the first to foray into the fresh dog food market. Our pets deserve the best, and that begins with what we feed them. Human-grade ingredients and the freshness that comes along with personalized food plans, the storage, and handling of these products are very important.
As mentioned before in The Farmer’s Dog review, the company is particularly known for its transparency. If you see The Farmer’s Dog stamp, you know the food is:
- Made fresh
- Cooked in USDA Kitchens
- Licked clean by your canine (based on reviews by dog parents)
Brett and Jonathan say they often personally taste-test their pet food recipes as they wouldn’t have it any other way. The Farmer’s Dog review will list some of the brand’s key highlights based on customer reviews, research, and my own experience (and concerns) as a dog parent.
- Made with unprocessed ingredients (contains no preservatives or fillers)
- Recipes designed by board-certified veterinary nutritionists
- Compliance with the Association of American Feed Control Officials’ standards
- Customizable plans based on pet’s needs
- Made in the USA
- Free, flexible shipping and deliveries
- Auto-shipping available
- Eco-friendly packaging
The Farmer’s Dog is a company that provides fresh, personalized dog food delivered straight to the customer’s door. Some of the features of The Farmer’s Dog include:
- Customized Meal Plans: The company offers customized meal plans based on the dog’s breed, age, weight, and activity level. They use a proprietary algorithm that takes into account a dog’s unique nutritional requirements to create a personalized meal plan.
- Fresh, Human-Grade Ingredients: The Farmer’s Dog uses only fresh, human-grade ingredients in their meals. They do not use any preservatives or additives, and all their meat is antibiotic and hormone-free. They source their ingredients from local farmers and trusted suppliers.
- Easy to Digest: The Farmer’s Dog meals are made with whole food ingredients that are easy for dogs to digest. They do not use any fillers or artificial ingredients that can upset a dog’s stomach.
- Convenient Delivery: The meals are delivered directly to the customer’s door in pre-portioned containers, making feeding time simple and hassle-free.
- Health Benefits: The Farmer’s Dog meals are designed to provide dogs with all the nutrients they need to maintain optimal health. Their meals are high in protein and healthy fats, and low in carbohydrates. They also include a variety of fruits and vegetables to provide essential vitamins and minerals.
Here are some of the ingredients used in The Farmer’s Dog products and why they are included:
- Animal Protein: The primary ingredient in The Farmer’s Dog meals is animal protein, typically chicken, beef, turkey, or pork. Animal protein is important for dogs because it contains all of the essential amino acids they need to build and maintain muscle, bone, and other tissues.
- Vegetables: The Farmer’s Dog meals also contain a variety of vegetables, such as sweet potatoes, green beans, and spinach. Vegetables are a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber, which can help support a dog’s overall health.
- Carbohydrates: The Farmer’s Dog meals may contain carbohydrates such as brown rice, quinoa, and oats. Carbohydrates provide energy for dogs and are also a good source of fiber.
- Fish Oil: The Farmer’s Dog meals are often supplemented with fish oil, which is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids can help support a dog’s skin and coat health, as well as their immune system.
- Vitamins and Minerals: The Farmer’s Dog meals are formulated to be complete and balanced, which means they contain all of the essential vitamins and minerals dogs need in the right amounts.
Several scientific studies support the use of fresh, whole-food ingredients in dog food. The use of fresh, whole-food ingredients can help ensure that dogs receive the nutrients they need to thrive, and may also offer other health benefits.
However, it is important to work with a veterinarian or a veterinary nutritionist to ensure that homemade or customized diets meet a dog’s specific nutritional needs.
There are no known side effects of The Farmer’s Dog food as it is made with human-grade ingredients and does not contain any harmful additives or fillers. However, as with any dietary change, it is important to transition your dog slowly to avoid digestive upset.
Additionally, some dogs may be allergic or sensitive to certain ingredients, so it is always a good idea to consult with your veterinarian before making any significant changes to your dog’s diet.
Why Go With Fresh Dog Food?
First, some grim facts and figures on why it’s important to know what your pooch’s food contains. According to a study by VCA Animal Hospital, 80% of pets older than three years old have active dental disease.
Nearly 60% of dogs in the United States are either obese or overweight.
The Farmer’s Dog review will now look at what we can do to save our pups. According to The Farmer’s Dog, it starts with feeding them right.
Numerous studies have found that pet foods often contain ingredients that are not listed on their labels, or missing those they claim to use. Pet food production in the US is carried out at alarmingly low safety and quality standards, which are hidden behind loose labeling and marketing regulations:
- Meals: Powders like ‘Chicken Meal’ can contain meat from diseased livestock
- Label Tricks: Foods can hide behind misleading bags. ‘Made with beef’ can mean just 3% beef.
- Brown Pellets: Kibble is extremely processed regardless of the ingredient claims (or pictures)
In comes The Farmer’s Dog with its line-up of fresh food. The brand does not make a lot of tall claims like most brands. The website explicitly states there isn’t anything fancy or magical about what they are trying to do.
All The Farmer’s Dog claims is that they make real, fresh food. “It’s still dog food, just how it should be,” states the brand. If anything, the brand has my respect for its modesty.
Unlike traditional kibble, if you have doubts about what you’re feeding your canine, you can taste the food yourself, as it’s made with ingredients sourced from reputable food suppliers, local farms, and other human food purveyors that meet USDA standards.
USDA standards evaluate the quality of standards for agricultural products, specifically the pet food that is being monitored in this case.
The Farmer’s Dog food is made in the USA, free of preservatives or processed ingredients, as the aim is not to be shelf-stable. They want to ensure your dog gets the most natural nutrients available. So, what improvements can you expect to see in your canine friend once you make the switch?
Fresh foods are more readily digestible for your dogs, and the protein and natural antioxidants in them are easily absorbed by the system as it needs less energy to digest when the ingredients are fresh.
This Farmer’s Dog review found one study that showed that as the demand for better products for pets arises, companies will work to match these demands and provide natural nutrition while simultaneously reducing the impact on the environment.
Studies show that pets had improved digestion, stronger immune systems, healthier skin and coats, and increased vitality after they switched to fresh food. In other words, your tyke isn’t going to live, they are going to thrive.
How Does The Farmer’s Dog Work?
The first step in testing The Farmer’s Dog cooked dog food is to create an online profile on the company’s website.
For The Farmer’s Dog review, I created a profile for me and my pooch Sir Harisson Furred, a fox terrier-dachshund mix. The whole process took less than 10 minutes.
As part of The Farmer’s Dog subscription process, you are initially asked to key in basic information such as your name, zip code, and contact details, and some facts about your pet, including their sex, age, weight, and breed.
In the next step, plug in any of the following information on your pet:
- Behavior (cutest, silliest, most loyal, most stubborn)
- Body type (skinny, round, chunky, just right)
- Activity level (not very active–only moves when you come home, very active–likes to play, active–daily dog park trips and long walks)
- Exercise (daily jogs, 2-hour walk)
- Eating style (very picky, can be picky, good eater, will eat anything)
- Health issues
- Routine diet (dry food, wet food, dehydrated food, fresh food, homemade food)
After filling out the questionnaire, I learned that Sir Furred roughly requires 265 calories a day and was given three recipes to choose from including beef, chicken, and turkey.
The Farmer’s Dog provides a two-week taste trial, which will start within a week of customers choosing their plan and placing an order.
The dog food is packed with dry ice to keep the product frozen and food is pre-portioned in bags that contain enough food for a day. The bags are frozen flat so they take up minimal space in our jam-packed freezers.
After the trial, your selected plan will be billed and shipped every 8 weeks. The deliveries are planned in such a way that you never run out of food. You can also customize the frequency based on your canine’s needs and preferences or cancel at any point.
The Farmer’s Dog Food
The Farmer’s Dog meal plans are a combination of four different recipes with beef, chicken, turkey, and pork. The Farmer’s Dog food review will now highlight the ingredients in each of these recipes:
- Beef: Includes USDA beef, sweet potato, lentils, carrot, beef liver, kale, sunflower seeds, fish oil, and TFD nutrient blend (Vitamin mix)
- Chicken: USDA chicken, brussels sprout, chicken liver, bok choy, broccoli, fish oil, and TFD nutrient pack
- Turkey: USDA turkey, chickpeas, carrot, broccoli, parsnip, spinach, fish oil, and TFD nutrient blend
- Pork: USDA pork, sweet potato, potato, green beans, cauliflower, pork liver, fish oil, and TFD nutrient blend
What Does The Farmer’s Dog Cost?
The Farmer’s Dog meal plans start at $2/day. Each dog is different, and full meal pricing will depend on a variety of factors such as age, weight, and activity. The Farmer’s Dog puppy food preparations and quantity are based on your pup’s weight. To determine the exact cost, you can visit TheFarmersDog.com and fill out the company’s questionnaire.
For Sir Furred, the full daily meals were priced at under $29 per week, with 20% off for the 2-week trial period ($46, discounted from $57). That’s around $115 per month.
If you have more than one mouth to feed or if your pooch is bigger, The Farmer’s Dog is bound to be an expensive option.
The price ranges from $4 to $5 per day for a 25 lbs dog and $8 to $9 a day for a 55 lbs dog. For example, if you are the parent of a 60lb Golden Retriever, a full daily-meal plan will cost you about $71 a week. That’s a whopping $284 a month!
On the plus side, if your dog doesn’t take to the food, the brand will send additional recipes to try, or you can get a refund if you donate the food to a shelter. What a great way to refund your products.
Who Is The Farmer’s Dog For?
The Farmer’s Dog food is designed for dogs of all ages, sizes, and breeds, and can be tailored to meet the specific dietary needs of each individual dog.
This brand is particularly popular among pet owners who are looking for a healthier, more natural alternative to traditional commercial dog food, and who are concerned about the quality and safety of the ingredients in their pet’s food.
The Farmer’s Dog Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
For The Farmer’s Dog review, we poured over multiple customer reviews, all of which had mixed opinions, ranging from skepticism over its push for fresh food, disbelief over its bombshell prices, and exasperation in trying to make their canines transition from dry food to wet food.
On BBB’s website, the brand has an average rating of 2.33/5 stars based on only 6 customer reviews. Most concerns were with the company’s customer service, especially over delays in canceling their subscriptions.
The Farmer’s Dog Reddit reviews expressed skepticism over the term ‘human-grade’, and what seems to be a routine struggle with the company’s customer care.
On the positive side, a lot of customers say they face resistance from their pets only during the early days of transition from the food they are used to. But once they cross that initial hurdle, the effect is almost immediate.
According to one customer on Reddit, the evidence lies in their pets’ poop: “Her poop is so much better now.” Customers also praised the brand for its smart packaging and timely delivery, ensuring your pooch is never out of chow.
Is The Farmer’s Dog Worth It?
The Farmer’s Dog price points are on the higher side. But if you are conscious about your dog’s nutrition, prefer to be in the loop of what goes in, particularly about how it comes out, and are willing to pay extra for it, then The Farmer’s Dog is worth trying.
The initial struggle to get your canine used to fresh food can deter a lot of pet parents. As a parent of a picky eater pet, I would suggest topping off the fresh food with a smattering of kibble during the trial period.
If The Farmer’s Dog is too steep for your budget, then top off the routine kibble with some fresh food and continue this in the long run.
Few customers have questioned the quality of The Farmer’s Dog’s ingredients. The brand’s adherence to high manufacturing standards makes it reliable. It is also a convenient option for pet parents with hectic schedules. The Farmer’s dog review verdict? Give this a shot!
The Farmer’s Dog Promotions & Discounts
The Farmer’s Dog has offered our community a special 50% discount. Take advantage now to try Farmer’s Dog as this won’t last forever.
How To Sign Up For The Farmer’s Dog
For the benefit of my fellow pet parents, the Farmer’s Dog review gives you step-by-step instructions on how to sign up for The Farmer’s Dog.
- Create an online profile for yourself and your dog(s) on The Farmer’s Dog website
- Fill in information about you (name, email, zip code) and your pooch (sex, age, weight, breed, body composition, activity level, and eating information)
- Based on the information keyed in, The Farmer’s Dog will come up with recipe recommendations using an algorithm
- Food for two weeks (trial period) will be delivered at your door-step within a week of the order being placed
- The subscription is automatically renewed at the end of two weeks and your plan will be billed and shipped every 8 weeks
Customers can also change the frequency of shipping based on their dog’s preference, or cancel the service at any point. You can also ask for a change of recipe.
Searching for the perfect food for your pup? Here are a few more options to consider:
- Nom Nom – offers fresh, human-grade pet food made from restaurant-quality ingredients. Their meals are designed by board-certified veterinary nutritionists and come in pre-portioned packs that are easy to serve.
- Ollie – provides fresh, human-grade dog food with customized meal plans based on your dog’s age, weight, breed, and activity level. They also offer a wide variety of recipes, including grain-free and low-fat options.
- Spot & Tango – offers fresh, all-natural dog food made with locally sourced ingredients. They provide personalized meal plans based on your dog’s age, weight, breed, and activity level, and their meals are pre-portioned for easy serving.
- JustFoodForDogs – offers fresh, whole-food meals made with human-grade ingredients, including USDA-certified meats and organic vegetables. They also offer a range of supplements to support your dog’s health and well-being.
- PetPlate – offers fresh, human-grade dog food made with locally sourced ingredients. Their meals are customized based on your dog’s weight, age, and activity level, and they come in pre-portioned packs that are easy to serve.
Where is The Farmers Dog located?
The brand operates out of its head office in New York, US.
Is The Farmer’s Dog raw food?
All of The Farmer’s Dog recipes involve gently cooking the food at low temperatures according to USDA facility standards to preserve more of the nutritional value. They’re then quickly frozen (not deep-frozen) for safe shipping and storage convenience.
Since the food is fresh and includes no preservatives, you must store it at a safe temperature in a refrigerator or freezer. The food lasts for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. If you don’t plan to use it for feeding within this timeframe, pack them into freezer-safe bags and store them in the freezer.
Your box will include an easy guide on how to store and feed the food properly.
How long does it take for The Farmer’s Dog to ship?
The Farmer’s Dog currently ships to the 48 contiguous states in the United States for free. Customers receive deliveries of freshly prepared food on a recurring and flexible basis. The first delivery arrives within a week of the order being placed, after which every subsequent delivery is timed in a way to ensure your pet does not run out of food.
You’ll be notified via email about each order before billing and shipment. No further information on shipping was available at the time of The Farmer’s Dog review.
How do I cancel The Farmer’s Dog?
Customers can adjust shipping frequency and pause or cancel a subscription at any point by logging into their profiles on The Farmer’s Dog website. The Farmer’s Dog review found no information on how long refund processes take.
How To Contact The Farmer’s Dog
If you still have questions after The Farmer’s Dog review, you can reach out to customer service by sending an email to [email protected] or reaching out by phone at (646)-780-7957.
Explore healthy dog food and treats for your pup with Jinx.
Spoil your furry pal with toys delivered right to your door. Check out the Bark Box subscription.