Table of Contents
Vagabond is a Swedish footwear brand known for its minimalist designs and sustainable practices. The comfortable and classic silhouettes are made for men and women, with the shoemaker paying keen attention to detail.
As one of the largest fashion shoe brands in Europe, Vagabond definitely receives some attention on its social media pages. Customers can also find Vagabond shoes in stores like Urban Outfitters and Nordstrom.
Are these boots really made for walking? This Vagabond review aims to find out. Join us as we take a look at the company’s most popular shoes, customer feedback, policies, and more, to help you decide whether they’re worth trying on.
Vagabond was founded in 1973 by the Nilsson family. It began as a men’s footwear brand before venturing into unisex and women’s designs. Today, it has set the roots for the Vagabond shoemakers brand, co-founded by Mats Nilsson and his wife, Marie Nilsson Peterzén.
Peterzén was working at the company for 10 years before going into business with her spouse. Once the opportunity came up, they didn’t hesitate to take over the family business.
In the following years, the couple managed to launch the women’s and unisex collection—the first of its kind in the Scandinavian market. Evidently, the company saw success and soon set on a mission to create “great looking shoes for people in all corners of the world.”
Vagabond shoes are designed in a studio located at the head office in Varberg, Sweden. With their sustainable production process monitored closely, the brand aims to reduce global emissions in its distribution, sourcing, and more.
The company works in tandem with tanneries to ensure high-quality and low-waste production. By 2030, they hope to reduce their greenhouse gases by 50%.
The brand also offers a shoe take-back service for used shoes. Customers can bring their unwanted footwear and Vagabond sends them to I:Collect in Germany. Then, they’re distributed to secondhand stores or made into a recycled pair. This cyclical model gives shoes a longer lifestyle instead of winding up in landfills.
Why You Should Trust Us
Our mission is to help you make better, more informed purchase decisions.
Our team spends hours researching, consulting with medical experts, gathering insight from expert professionals, reviewing customer feedback, and analyzing products to provide you with the information you need.
Pros & Cons
Now that you know more about the brand, this Vagabond review will go over some pros and cons:
- Style and Design: Vagabond shoes are often praised for their modern and fashionable designs. The brand focuses on creating trendy footwear that appeals to a wide range of consumers.
- Quality Materials: Vagabond typically uses high-quality materials in their shoe construction, including genuine leather, suede, and durable textiles. This can contribute to the longevity and durability of the shoes.
- Comfort: Many wearers find Vagabond shoes comfortable due to factors such as cushioned insoles, ergonomic designs, and adequate arch support. Comfort is an important aspect for those who spend long hours on their feet.
- Versatility: Vagabond offers a variety of shoe styles, including boots, sandals, sneakers, and heels, allowing customers to find options suitable for different occasions and seasons.
- Wide Range of Sizes: Vagabond shoes often come in a diverse range of sizes, including both standard and extended sizes, catering to various foot shapes and needs.
- Price: Compared to some other shoe brands, Vagabond shoes may be considered relatively expensive for certain customers, particularly those on a tight budget. The higher price can be a limiting factor for some buyers.
- Limited Arch Support: Although Vagabond shoes are generally comfortable, some wearers may find that the arch support provided is insufficient, particularly for individuals with specific foot conditions or requirements.
- Style Preference: While Vagabond is known for its contemporary designs, personal style preferences may vary. Some individuals may not find the brand’s aesthetic to their liking, as style is subjective and varies from person to person.
Nothing adds more pep to your step than a new pair of shoes. Vagabond offers fashionable loafers, boots, and sneakers to make your favorite dude or lady smile. So, keep reading this Vagabond review to learn about the company’s best-selling footwear.
Before we get to all of that, though, let’s get a bird’s eye view of what makes this brand different from the rest:
- Design: Vagabond shoes are recognized for their stylish and modern designs. The brand combines fashion-forward elements with timeless aesthetics, creating footwear that appeals to a wide range of tastes.
- Materials: Vagabond typically uses high-quality materials in their shoe construction. This includes genuine leather, suede, and durable textiles. The brand emphasizes the use of premium materials to ensure both comfort and durability.
- Comfort: Vagabond strives to provide comfortable footwear options for its customers. Many of their shoes feature cushioned insoles, ergonomic designs, and adequate arch support to enhance overall comfort, especially for those who spend long hours on their feet.
- Versatility: Vagabond offers a diverse range of shoe styles, allowing wearers to find options suitable for various occasions and seasons. Their collections often include boots, sandals, sneakers, heels, and more, providing versatility in both casual and formal settings.
- Sizing: Vagabond shoes are typically available in a wide range of sizes, including both standard and extended sizes. This inclusiveness allows customers to find footwear that accommodates different foot shapes and needs.
- Attention to Detail: Vagabond pays attention to the finer details in their shoe designs. This can include unique stitching patterns, hardware accents, textured materials, and thoughtful embellishments, adding character and visual interest to their footwear.
- Durability: While individual experiences may vary, Vagabond is generally known for producing shoes with good durability. The use of quality materials and craftsmanship contributes to the longevity of their footwear.
- Sustainability: Vagabond has made efforts to incorporate sustainable practices into their production processes. This includes sourcing eco-friendly materials and implementing environmentally conscious manufacturing methods, aligning with growing consumer demand for sustainable fashion options.
Vagabond shoes utilize a variety of materials in their construction, depending on the specific shoe style and collection. Here are some commonly used materials in Vagabond footwear:
- Leather: Vagabond frequently incorporates genuine leather in their shoes. Leather is known for its durability, breathability, and ability to conform to the shape of the foot over time. It is often used in the uppers, linings, and sometimes in the insoles of Vagabond shoes.
- Suede: Suede is another type of leather commonly used by Vagabond. It has a soft, velvety texture and is often utilized for its aesthetic appeal. Suede is typically employed in the uppers of certain Vagabond shoe styles, such as ankle boots and loafers.
- Textiles: Vagabond also incorporates various textiles into their shoe designs. These textiles can include canvas, cotton, polyester, and nylon. Textiles are often used in combination with leather or as the main material in certain styles such as sneakers or slip-on shoes.
- Synthetic Materials: In addition to natural materials, Vagabond may incorporate synthetic materials in their shoe construction. Synthetic materials such as faux leather, microfiber, and PU (polyurethane) can provide alternative options that mimic the look and feel of genuine leather while offering their own benefits such as affordability and easy maintenance.
- Rubber: Rubber is commonly used for the outsoles of Vagabond shoes. Rubber provides good traction, flexibility, and durability, making it suitable for various terrains and weather conditions.
6 Best-Selling Vagabond Shoes
As they say, ladies first! The hottest Vagabond women’s kicks are fashion staples that are bound to stay in your collection for a long time.
Of course, in this Vagabond review, we also can’t miss the popular men’s shoes. The Swedish company’s loafers, boots, and sneakers for guys are modern, clean, and handsome. So let’s get into it!
Vagabond Cosmo 2.0 Loafer Review
The Vagabond Cosmo 2.0 Loafer takes on a trendy 45mm chunky silhouette. It comes in all-black and has a leather upper and inner sole, along with an adorable penny front and apron toe. They can look edgy, academic, or just plain charming, depending on how you style them.
A chunky penny loafer is always quite versatile. Something like a pair of flared pants will look nostalgic and trendy all at once. You can even wear crew socks, tights, and a mini-skirt for a cute and studious look. Either way, the Cosmo 2.0 Loafers are great shoes to have on your rack.
These Vagabond loafers retail for $175.
Vagabond Kenova Boots Review
The Kenova Boots adopt the classic Chelsea boot with chunky soles and rounded toes. The heel measures about 40 mm, with cow and goat leather as the primary materials. They also come with elastic inserts and a convenient pulling tab for easy on and off.
The Chelsea boot style transcends seasonal fads. You can wear them anytime, and the Kenova Boots are no different. But this Vagabond review would save them for autumn to deliver the best looks. From skinny jeans to sweater dresses, these boots will capture all of the fall vibes for your Instagram feed.
The Kenova Boots will cost $140 to add to your bag.
Vagabond Judy Boots Review
The last of the women’s shoes are the Judy Boots. The twist on a classic curling boot results in these charming shoes with a black leather upper. Plus, it features warm polyester lining to keep you warm when the snow starts falling. They have a slight platform that measures 40mm.
The Judy Boots are a no-fuss shoe. They’re simple with minimal, bold features, but that doesn’t make them any less stylish. With inside zippers and pull-on tabs, taking them off and putting them on is a breeze.
Plus, you can wear them with practically anything during your next holiday evening stroll. For example, they’d look so cute with some Christmas plaid patterns.
These warm-lining Vagabond boots will run you $175.
Vagabond Alex M Loafer Review
The penny Alex M Loafers adopt an enduring style. The cow leather upper is paired with a Portuguese-made rubber outsole, goat leather lining, and inner sole. The modern twist on a classy style will make any person run wild.
The heel height is 33mm, adding a slight chunky look to the shoe. Generally, the penny loafer leans more towards a preppy aesthetic, but Vagabond adds some edge. They’re easy to take on and off and can be paired with tailored pants to jazz up your next bachelor party or wedding.
The Alex M Loafer will run you about $180.
Vagabond Jeff Brown Boots Review
With the rise of utility fashion, the Jeff Boots can be the talk of the town. The brown cow leather and chunky design gives the impression that you’re getting down to business. With a lace-up fastening and rounded toes, these boots will serve well with some of your casual looks as well.
The mid-rise design might be intimidating to some. But you could always make it less daunting by wearing some wide-leg pants or jeans.
On the flip side, if you’re feeling adventurous, a jumpsuit would look avant-garde and fashion-forward. Basically, the monochrome colorway is easy to style no matter what your fashion choices are.
The Jeff Boots cost $240 to add to your bag. They’re also available in black.
Vagabond Paul Sneakers Review
Last but not least in this Vagabond review: the Paul Sneakers. These leather sneakers can become a quintessential item in your wardrobe. We may sound like a broken record, but these leather low-tops are clean and versatile like the other Vagabond shoes.
The Paul Sneakers’ black leather upper and white sole create a beautiful contrast. They can be your sunny day pick when you’re planning a meetup for drinks with friends or family. You could even wear them out to the club, and your shiny black shoes will turn all the heads.
The Paul Sneakers come in seven different colors and cost $140.
Who Is Vagabond For?
Vagabond is great for young adults searching for some footwear staples. But the brand’s designs can really appeal to anyone who’s also drawn to some simplicity with a hint of rebellious energy.
They do use genuine leather, but they also offer no-animal options if customers wish. The company is also making strides towards more sustainable practices, including reducing emissions, sourcing sustainable materials, recycling used shoes, and more.
Vagabond Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
We couldn’t finish this Vagabond review without looking at some customer feedback. Unfortunately, the brand doesn’t publish ratings on the main website as of June 2023, so we went searching for testimonials on Zappos, Nordstrom, and Trustpilot.
On Zappos, the Kenova Boots received 3/5 stars from a pool of 7 reviews. One customer writes, “After trying 10 pairs of black leather Chelsea boots, these are the winner. They […] fit me perfectly. No crowding in the toebox. Love the subtle stitching detail on the top. Chunky, trendy sole that’s still dressy enough for work. Looking forward to buying future pairs of shoes by Vagabond shoemakers. Very impressed!”
Another reviewer says, “Overall, a great purchase. I even have ankle issues, and these shoes are comfortable and classy.”
Several shoppers recommended paying close attention to the sizing before ordering. All in all, it appears that most buyers had a smooth experience with returning any shoes that did not initially fit them for ones that did:
“I’m usually an 8, but the size 8 is way too tight. The 9 fit perfectly. Very easy to walk in these boots, I would highly recommend. I also tried on the Cosmo 2.0 and Tara leather/comb boots. This version of the Tara boot seemed the most casual out of the three to me, and would match a variety of outfits. The stretchy sides also make it easy to take the shoe on and off.”
Nordstrom also publishes reviews for Vagabond shoes. The following are two ratings for women’s shoes:
- Cosmo 2.0 Loafer: 3.8/5 stars from 5 reviews
- Kenova Boots: 4.5/5 stars from 71 reviews
The Cosmo 2.0 Loafer is a hit among customers. One reviewer says, “These are the perfect platform-ish loafers with just enough height to make them stylish and unique, but simple enough to pull off at work. I love them! But they run SUPER small, so definitely order a size up. I am generally a 9.5/10 […], and I had to exchange them for 11s. […] I have enough room to get a sock in now too. So save yourself the return hassle and size up!”
Nordstrom customers also loved the Kenova Boots, with one buyer writing, “I wore them everywhere I went and got compliments on them. A little bit big, but maybe because I tend to order a half size up whenever I order boots to wear thick socks. The order was true to size.”
Another reviewer writes, “I love these boots! They are super cute, very comfortable, and, thanks to the rubber sole, easy to wear all day! I can’t say enough positive things about them, and I just wish they also came in brown! Highly recommended! I bought a 38, and the fit is perfect. I usually wear an 8 to 8.5 in US sizing.”
Trustpilot users also love the brand. One reviewer writes, “I have had two pairs of Vagabond boots for many years which I bought on my honeymoon in London. I could not find them in the US but was pleasantly surprised when I found them at Nordstrom […] Super comfortable, sustainable, and fashionable. Will be a customer for life, and my 3rd and 4th pairs are just as cute.”
With that said, this Vagabond review came across some criticisms, especially on Trustpilot. The company has 2.1/5 stars from 38 ratings on the feedback site. Some customers had gripes with the customer service, shoe quality, and return policy. While consumers’ issues go unanswered publicly, some note that the customer care team does answer and offer solutions privately.
All in all, though, things are looking pretty stellar for Vagabond.
Is Vagabond Worth It?
Finding simple staple footwear isn’t too hard nowadays, but the same cannot be said of excellent craftsmanship. Vagabond offers high-quality footwear that’s contemporary, timeless, and edgy. There’s no doubt that you’ll be able to find a pair that suits you and your needs.
Based on this Vagabond review, we think that this company is worth checking out. It’s hard not to like a pair of the Swedish brand’s shoes, as the collection is so simple and stylish. We couldn’t ask for anything more. Plus, they’re affordable and the company is making strides towards being more sustainable.
Vagabond Promotions & Discounts
Who doesn’t love a good deal? Vagabond is currently holding a sale on some of its bestsellers.
Unfortunately, we couldn’t find any other promos or discounts at this time. Still, you can subscribe to the newsletter to stay updated.
Where To Buy Vagabond
Trying to get your hands on a pair of Kenova boots? You can buy some from vagabond.com. They’re also available in select retail stores, including:
- Urban Outfitters
- Little Burgundy (Canada)
- And more!
Looking to shop around? Here are some brand alternatives to Vagabond that offer a similar focus on contemporary footwear designs:
- Clarks: Clarks is a well-known footwear brand that combines style with comfort. They offer a wide range of shoe styles, including boots, flats, and sandals, with an emphasis on quality materials and craftsmanship.
- Dr. Martens: Dr. Martens is renowned for its iconic boots characterized by their distinctive yellow stitching and air-cushioned soles. They offer a mix of classic and modern styles, often featuring leather uppers and a durable construction.
- Cole Haan: Cole Haan is a brand that blends traditional craftsmanship with modern innovation. They offer a variety of footwear options, including dress shoes, sneakers, and boots, focusing on comfort, versatility, and premium materials.
Who owns Vagabond?
There isn’t much information provided online, but it’s safe to assume the co-founders Marie Nilsson Peterzén and Mats Nilsson still own Vagabond.
Is Vagabond Swedish?
Yep! Vagabond is a Swedish company. It was first launched in 1973 by Mats Nilsson’s family.
Does Vagabond ship internationally?
Vagabond does ship to select international locations. We’ll get into more detail in the following section.
What is Vagabond’s Shipping Policy?
Vagabond offers $5 Economy shipping for US customers. Orders are fulfilled by FedEx and are estimated to arrive within 3–5 business days after getting your shipping confirmation. You’ll also be able to track your order on the FedEx website.
Customs duties, taxes, and other charges are mandatory. Depending on your home state’s postal policies, you might also be subjected to additional import charges.
Some international locations offer free shipping with an order minimum. In addition, some countries offer other shipping options, including express delivery.
Estimated delivery times in places like the UK, Germany, and Canada vary between 1–5 business days. Again, we’d suggest going to your local Vagabond website for more information!
What is Vagabond’s Return Policy?
Vagabond has a 14-day return policy that starts from the day your order arrives. Your item must be returned in its original packaging, and the company reserves the right to charge customers if the product is damaged.
You can start a return by contacting the customer care team via an online Contact Form. Simply enter your order number and the item(s) you want to send back. The brand also asks to state the reason for return using the following codes:
- Too big
- Too small
- Ordered multiple sizes
- Not expected fit
- Not as expected look
- Late delivery
- Changed your mind
Vagabond’s team will send a prepaid return label. You need to pack up your order in its original box, and then place it in a larger container—make sure also to include the receipt so your return can be verified.
The next step is to drop the package at your closest service point or schedule a FedEx pickup online. Once your order is returned, it can take 1-3 business days to receive your reimbursement.
Note that Vagabond does not handle direct exchanges. Instead, you’ll have to return your original item(s) and place a new order on the brand’s website.
How to contact Vagabond
Do you have any questions beyond this Vagabond review? You can contact the customer care team via the following channels:
- Fill out their Contact Form
- Phone: +46 340 54 12 03
Vagabond’s service hours are Monday to Friday, 8AM to 5PM, CET. It’s important to note that the team speaks English and Swedish, but they also offer German service by e-mail.
Check out similar brands you might like:’