Virtue Labs Hair Review
Table of Contents
About Virtue Labs
In the past, many people didn’t worry so much about what they washed their hair with. Over time, we’ve all come to realize how important it is to maintain your tresses, making sure to care for them properly. That’s where Virtue Labs comes in.
With a mission to give everyone their best hair possible, Virtue Labs also has celebrities like Jennifer Garner and Reese Witherspoon talking them up. With being featured in Harper’s Bazaar and O Magazine, it’s not surprising they’re hitting all the right notes.
In this Virtue Labs hair review, we’ll go over the company’s policies and practices, what makes them so special, their products, and customer reviews so you can decide whether they’re worth the buy or not.
Founded in 2013 by Melisse Shaban, the brand started out as an impossible dream. When Shaban was first introduced to the concept of using a specific method that would change the world of hair care forever (pulling out keratin), she admits she didn’t believe it at first. It seemed too good to be true.
But, the buildup turned out to be true. Today, the company has people focused on pulling out keratin—the main protein that gives you that gorgeous, full head of hair—and injecting it into their products. And it’s been working wonders for many people.
Why You Should Trust Us
Our mission is to help you make better, more informed purchase decisions.
Our team spends hours researching, consulting with medical experts, gathering insight from expert professionals, reviewing customer feedback, and analyzing products to provide you with the information you need.
Pros & Cons
Before we get into all the details about the brand and its products, this Virtue Labs hair review will go over a few pros and cons of the brand:
- Advanced technology: Virtue Labs utilizes innovative technology in its haircare products. The brand has developed a proprietary technology called Alpha Keratin 60ku™, which is a form of pure, human-derived keratin that aims to repair and strengthen damaged hair. This technology sets Virtue Labs apart and has gained recognition in the industry.
- Hair repair and restoration: Virtue Labs products are specifically formulated to address various hair concerns, such as damage, breakage, frizz, and dullness. They aim to repair and restore hair health, resulting in improved strength, shine, and manageability.
- High-quality ingredients: Virtue Labs emphasizes the use of high-quality, clean ingredients in its formulations. Their products are free from sulfates, parabens, phthalates, synthetic colors, and other potentially harmful ingredients. The brand prioritizes sourcing ingredients that are safe and beneficial for the hair.
- Visible results: Many users report seeing noticeable improvements in the condition and appearance of their hair after using Virtue Labs products. These include reduced breakage, increased shine, improved texture, and overall healthier-looking hair.
- Range of products: Virtue Labs offers a range of haircare products designed for different needs and hair types. Their product lineup includes shampoos, conditioners, masks, styling products, and treatments, allowing customers to create a tailored haircare routine.
- Environmental commitment: Virtue Labs is committed to sustainability and environmental responsibility. The brand aims to minimize its impact on the environment by using recycled materials in packaging and ensuring that their products are cruelty-free and never tested on animals.
- Individual hair response: While many users have positive experiences with Virtue Labs products, hair response can vary from person to person. Some individuals may not see the desired results or may experience different effects on their hair. Hair type, condition, and compatibility with specific ingredients can influence how well the products work for an individual.
- Scent preference: The fragrance of Virtue Labs products is a matter of personal preference. While some users enjoy the scent, others may find it too strong or not to their liking. It’s advisable to consider individual scent preferences when considering Virtue Labs products.
In this Virtue Labs hair review, we will take you through the product descriptions, uses, and prices of select shampoos, conditioners, treatments, creams, and oils. First, let’s start with what sets this brand apart from the pack:
- Alpha Keratin 60ku™ Technology: Virtue Labs has developed a proprietary technology called Alpha Keratin 60ku™. This technology uses a form of pure, human-derived keratin that aims to repair and strengthen damaged hair. The unique aspect of this technology is its ability to identify and target areas of damage in the hair shaft, providing targeted repair and restoration.
- Hair Repair and Restoration: The primary focus of Virtue Labs is to repair and restore the health and vitality of the hair. The brand’s products are formulated with ingredients and technologies that aim to address various hair concerns, such as damage, breakage, frizz, and dullness. Virtue Labs aims to improve the strength, shine, and overall appearance of the hair.
- High-Quality Ingredients: Virtue Labs places an emphasis on using high-quality ingredients in its formulations. The brand is committed to clean beauty and avoids the use of sulfates, parabens, phthalates, synthetic colors, and other potentially harmful ingredients. Virtue Labs sources ingredients that are safe, effective, and beneficial for hair health.
- Range of Products: Virtue Labs offers a comprehensive range of haircare products to address different hair needs and concerns. Their product lineup includes shampoos, conditioners, masks, styling products, and treatments. This allows customers to create a customized haircare routine tailored to their specific needs.
- Visible Results: Many users report seeing visible improvements in the condition and appearance of their hair after using Virtue Labs products. These include reduced breakage, increased shine, improved manageability, and overall healthier-looking hair. The brand aims to deliver noticeable results through its targeted repair and restoration approach.
- Commitment to Sustainability: Virtue Labs is committed to sustainability and environmental responsibility. The brand uses recycled materials in its packaging to minimize waste and strives to create products that are environmentally friendly. Virtue Labs is also committed to being cruelty-free and ensuring that its products are never tested on animals.
Virtue Labs utilizes a range of active ingredients in their haircare formulations to promote hair repair, strength, and overall hair health. While specific ingredients may vary across different Virtue Labs products, here are some key active ingredients commonly found in their formulations:
- Alpha Keratin 60ku™: Alpha Keratin 60ku™ is Virtue Labs’ proprietary technology and active ingredient. It is a form of pure, human-derived keratin that is derived from ethically sourced human hair. This unique form of keratin is said to have the ability to bind to damaged areas in the hair shaft, providing targeted repair and restoration.
- Hydrolyzed Quinoa Protein: Hydrolyzed quinoa protein is a plant-derived protein that is rich in amino acids. It helps to strengthen and fortify the hair, improving its resilience and reducing breakage. Quinoa protein can also provide moisture to the hair, enhancing its overall health and appearance.
- Baobab Seed Oil: Baobab seed oil is derived from the seeds of the baobab tree. It is rich in vitamins and antioxidants, which nourish and protect the hair. Baobab seed oil helps to moisturize and improve the elasticity of the hair, resulting in smoother, more manageable strands.
- Saw Palmetto: Saw palmetto extract is derived from the berries of the saw palmetto plant. It has been traditionally used to support hair health and combat hair loss. Saw palmetto extract is believed to inhibit the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which can contribute to hair thinning and loss.
- Panthenol (Provitamin B5): Panthenol is a form of provitamin B5 that has moisturizing and strengthening properties. It helps to improve the moisture retention capacity of the hair, enhancing its softness and flexibility. Panthenol can also help to add volume and thickness to the hair.
9 Best-Selling Virtue Labs Products
For anyone who is desperate to fix their hair, shampoo is generally where they all start. What you wash your hair with has to have the right ingredients in it in order to get that commercial-like shiny hair you’ve always wanted.
In this section of the Virtue Labs hair review, we will go over all the different types of Virtue Labs shampoo and hair products the brand offers—from damaged or curly to frizzy hair. All Virtue Labs products do not have any preservatives such as parabens, phthalates, sulfates, dyes, or fake colors in them.
Virtue Labs Recovery Shampoo Review
Whether you dye your hair, curl it on the regular, or straighten it with chemicals, your hair is crying out for some nourishment. And that’s what you’ll find with the Virtue Labs Recovery Shampoo.
With their key ingredient, Virtue Labs Alpha Keratin 60ku, using this shampoo will repair your hair at the root.
Other important ingredients include a plant-based protein taken from hydrolyzed quinoa to help with dryness, baobab seed oil to aid with silkiness and loads of Vitamin C from grapefruit extract that is meant to restore health to your scalp.
All together with the keratin, this shampoo will bring your limp locks back to life. The best thing about this product? It works on all types of hair, leaving it supple and ready to take on the day.
And on top of all its amazing ingredients, it’s free from gluten, wasn’t tested on animals, and it’s vegan. It can also be used on hair that’s been colored.
You can find the product in three sizes:
- Travel size: $15 (2 oz)
- Full size: $38 (8 oz)
- Professional: $74 (17 oz)
AfterPay is available for any items over $35.
Virtue Labs Curl Shampoo Review
Girls with curls can finally rejoice! This shampoo is the answer to all your tangled problems. Instead of forcing your hair to act like something it’s not, Virtue Labs curly hair shampoo will provide your hair with a healthy environment so it can shine. Best of all? It won’t dry your hair out either.
While the Virtue Labs Curl Shampoo gives your curls the freedom to be themselves, it also guards them against pollutants in your environment, frizziness, and high temperatures.
How? Other than the Alpha Keratin 60ku, it uses dissolvable jojoba oil, lond bean to define your curls, carob gum to create a film of protection to prevent frizziness, and sunflower seed oil to prevent dryness.
All of these ingredients work together to bring new life to your curls, making sure they’re softly defined and restored to their glory!
The shampoo comes in two sizes:
- Travel size: $15 (2 oz)
- Full size: $38 (8 oz)
Virtue Labs Smooth Shampoo Review
If you have ever dealt with frizzy or static-y hair, you know it’s a pain to deal with, especially when you’re in a rush during your morning routine. That’s where Virtue Labs Smooth Shampoo comes in.
This shampoo is all about making sure your hair is supple and shiny—with zero frizz! With its creamy mixture and extravagant lather, you won’t want to get out of the shower. But, once you dry your hair, you will be surprised by how ready your hair will be for the runway.
Besides their key ingredient of Alpha Keratin 60ku, this shampoo is full of Vitamins A, B1, and C, and zinc to bring your hair back to life, a fatty acid taken from soybeans to fight that crispy hair look, and gotu kola, an Indian herb to give your hair the glossiness and strength it’s been missing all this time.
The shampoo comes in three sizes:
- Travel size: $15 (2 oz)
- Full size: $38 (8 oz)
- Professional: $74 (17 oz)
Virtue Labs Smooth Conditioner Review
There is something to be said about the best partnerships, and Virtue Labs Smooth Conditioner is the best partner to the smooth shampoo previously mentioned in this Virtue Labs hair review. Besides helping you to control the staticky-ness, it builds on the benefits the shampoo deposits in your hair.
Along with the Virtue Labs Alpha Keratin 60ku ingredient, it uses the same fatty acids from soybeans and Vitamins A, B1, C, and zinc, with shea butter to ensure your hair remains smooth, even when your day isn’t. Not only does it keep your hair supple and glossy, but it will also leave it effortlessly silky.
The conditioner comes in three sizes:
- Travel size: $16 (2 oz)
- Full size: $40 (6.7 oz)
- Professional: $88, currently on sale for $72 (17 oz)
Virtue Labs Restorative Treatment Mask Review
The feeling you get when you step out of your hair salon is exactly what this Virtue Labs Restorative Treatment Mask does for you. You will never want to stop running your hands through your hair after you get it done! And it can be used once or twice a week instead of conditioner to keep your hair healthy and happy.
The treatment mask is a great way to treat yourself when you’re wanting to spend a night doing self-care. Not only does it infuse your hair with life, but it reestablishes your hair’s silkiness, leaving you with hair even Kim Kardashian would envy.
You can find the treatment in three sizes:
- Mini deluxe: $14 (0.5 oz)
- Full size: $32 (1.7 oz)
- Professional: $66 (5 oz)
As with all other Virtue Labs products, the treatment mask is vegan, free from gluten, and wasn’t tested on animals.
Virtue Labs Exfoliating Scalp Treatment Review
One step a lot of people tend to forget about is treating the scalp and not only the hair. It all starts at the root and if we don’t care for our scalp, then who will? The hair salon can only do so much. No problem, that’s where the Virtue Labs Exfoliating Scalp Treatment comes in.
This ultra-light cream has the ability to help pull out all those yucky things that get left behind from products. We have no idea how much is left behind until we cleanse our scalp, but let’s make sure we do it with the proper ingredients. Even better? This treatment is safe on color-treated hair as well.
Aside from their Alpha Keratin 60ku, this treatment also includes enzymes from fruit, beta-hydroxy acids, and finely-milled rice to gently shed skin that’s no longer needed, and rejuvenates your scalp with jojoba, coconut, and Kalahari melon oils.
By the time you finish shampooing and use the treatment, you’ll feel like a completely new person.
The treatment comes in two sizes:
- Mini deluxe: $14 (0.5 oz)
- Full size: $48 (5 oz)
AfterPay is available for items over $35.
Virtue Labs Un-Frizz Cream Review
If you’re happy with your current shampoo and conditioner, but still want a way to tame those frizzies or flyaways that never seem to listen, then you will definitely want to invest in this Virtue Labs Frizz Cream.
Perfect for people with thick, wavy, curly, or hair that has too many flyaways, this cream will tame your tangled locks into submission. All without using any heavy waxes, it stops the humid weather in its tracks so your hair doesn’t go wild after it dries.
Along with Alpha Keratin 60ku, the cream has the same ingredients as the Smooth Shampoo previously mentioned in this Virtue Labs hair review. With its sweet notes of lavender, mint, and pear, you’ll be immersed in an aromatic and glossy hair world.
The frizz cream comes in two sizes:
- Travel size: $20 (2 oz)
- Full size: $40 (4 oz)
Virtue Labs Healing Oil Review
There is nothing better than caring for your hair with a nice oil treatment. Just the thought of it brings to mind a luxurious spa that focuses only on your hair. And that’s what the Virtue Labs Healing Oil does for you.
Perfect for all types of hair, this oil can help rejuvenate your hair and scalp. And don’t worry if you’ve dyed your hair because this healing oil is safe to use on any treated hair as well. It’s made with clear oils, and won’t leave any sort of yellow residue.
Made with Virtue Labs’ key ingredient, Alpha Keratin 60ku, this oil also contains Vitamin E, Kalahari melon seed oil to infuse your hair with moisture, and gardenia flower from Tahiti to add more oomph to your locks.
The oil only comes in one size (1.7 oz) and retails for $42. AfterPay is also available to buy it. At the time of this Virtue Labs hair review, the oil is 10% off if you use the code HEAL10.
Virtue Labs Hair Growth Treatment (5% Minoxidil) Review
Whether you have been dealing with hormonal issues, everyday stress, or gaps in your nutrition, hair loss is a real thing, especially for women. Instead of relying on medication to help you, Virtue Labs has created an entire regimen to help you rebuild those thinning patches.
Best for people with average to bad hair loss, Virtue Labs Hair Growth Treatment has a shampoo and conditioner, plus a 5% minoxidil foam (available only in the US).
It has alpha and gamma keratin plus 5% minoxidil where people using it reported regrowth after six months. And don’t worry, the formulas are safe to use on dyed and chemically processed hair.
This regimen is available in two options:
- 1 month: $55
- 3 months: $134
Is Virtue Labs Clean?
Based on everything we researched for this Virtue Labs hair review, we found that the brand stands behind their clean label—especially being free from gluten, parabens, phthalates, and other synthetic ingredients. The company is conscious of what they use in their products and does their best to avoid them as much as possible.
The brand also ensures their products are not tested on animals of any kind.
Is Virtue Labs Sulfate-Free?
Virtue Labs products are free of sulfates, parabens, phthalates, and synthetic dyes or colors. They are also vegan and cruelty-free, making them equal parts ethical, extremely healthy, and beneficial for the hair.
Who Is Virtue Labs For?
Virtue Labs products are for anyone who is struggling with their hair, and can benefit any type (we’re talking damaged, dyed, chemically processed, and everything in-between). The beneficial ingredients they include in their formulas, especially Alpha Keratin 60ku, can help any sort of hair.
Comparison: Virtue Labs vs. OLAPLEX
Now that you have an idea of what the brand offers, this Virtue Labs hair review will take a look at one of their competitors: OLAPLEX.
Founded in 2014 by beauty gurus Dean and Darcy Christal, the brand quickly skyrocketed to fame due to its innovative ingredient to help heal and guard hair from further damage. Especially with many people bleaching their hair, using Olaplex managed to revitalize and restore much-needed moisture back into fried hair.
In terms of pricing, the Virtue Labs Recovery Shampoo and Conditioner (8 oz) retail for $38 and $40, respectively, whereas Olaplex Daily Cleanse & Condition Duo (8.5 oz) retails for $56. Both companies state their products are not tested on animals and are also free from any harmful preservatives you might find in other store brands.
For the Virtue Labs Healing Oil, a 1.7 oz retails for $42, while the Olaplex Bonding Oil (1 oz) sells for $28. Each of these products claim to build your hair back to its natural glory with nutritious ingredients your locks are thirsting after.
It appears Virtue Labs offers more size options when it comes to their products along with a wider range of items, while Olaplex focuses on specific hair issues.
If you want to compare the brands further, check out our full Olaplex Shampoo Review.
Virtue Labs Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
Let’s start off with all the positivity we found as of June 2023. On the Better Business Bureau site, Virtue Labs is awarded an A+ score. On Influenster, the brand has a 4.4/5 star rating, with people raving all about their products.
Moira B. writes, “I have to be very careful with my fine, 50 plus hair and can’t risk bad ingredients just for fuller hair. This shampoo is amazing. Ethically sourced ingredients that make my hair full, shiny and healthy!”
Even Kitt K. agrees, stating, “Great shampoo,pairs beautifully with the Full conditioner. But U can totally mix and match. If you have color processed hair I would recommend the Recovery line. But Full is great for fine and flat hair. Vegan. Smells like natural watermelon. Not the fake synthetic candy watermelon, BUT ACTUAL MELONS!! WHAT IS THIS MAGIC?!!”
On Sephora, a happy customer wrote, “This recovery shampoo is great for any type of hair. It’s only small amount of shampoo keeps your hair looking healthy and shiny. My hair looks great.”
The brand website has reviews on its products as well. For instance, the best-selling Virtue Labs Recovery Shampoo (an Allure Best of Beauty Award Winner) is rated 4.5/5 stars with positive reviews claiming, “My hair has never been so clean and strong. It’s not heavy at all and feels clean without being too clean and fluffy. It’s a must have forever!”
Is Virtue Labs Worth It?
Based on the transparency, accessibility, fairness, and quality of the company and its products, it appears that Virtue Labs is worth it. We admire the brand for being honest about its formulations, limitations, and practices.
Another awesome thing about the company is that they offer returns for both all or a portion of the unwanted product, which is great business practice.
The customer can feel secure in knowing that if their product does not deliver what they want it to, they can always rely on the company to cater to them and right the wrong.
Virtue Labs Promotions & Discounts
There are a handful of ways to save on the Virtue Labs site at the moment:
- If you sign up for the Virtue Labs email list, you automatically receive 10% off your first purchase.
- Virtue offers free shipping on all orders, but this is only valid for customers ordering from within the US.
- Save 10% when you use the Virtue Labs coupon code: HEAL10 buying the healing oil.
Where To Buy Virtue Labs
There are several locations where you can purchase this brand:
- Through their website
- The Shopping Channel website
- Salons—to find one close to you, use their locator
- Holt Renfrew
Here are some brand alternatives to Virtue Labs that offer haircare products focused on repair, strength, and overall hair health:
- Olaplex: Olaplex is a popular brand known for its hair repair and strengthening treatments. Their products, such as the No. 3 Hair Perfector and No. 4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo, aim to rebuild broken hair bonds, improve hair strength, and restore damaged hair.
- Briogeo: Briogeo is a clean haircare brand that offers a range of products targeting different hair concerns. They have products specifically formulated for repair and strengthening, such as the Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask and the Strength + Moisture Leave-In Mask.
- Living Proof: Living Proof is a brand that focuses on using science and innovation to create effective haircare products. They have a variety of products designed to promote hair strength and repair, including the Restore line, which targets damaged hair and helps to reduce breakage.
Where is Virtue Labs made?
Virtue Labs is located in Winston-Salem, NC.
Is Virtue Labs vegan and cruelty-free?
Yes, Virtue Labs products are vegan and not tested on animals. They are also free of sulfates, parabens, phthalates, manufactured colors, and dyes.
What is Virtue Labs’ Shipping Policy?
It appears that Virtue Labs only ships domestically within the US. You get free shipping for orders over $50. The shipping times are:
- Standard: 2-6 business days
- Expedited: 2 business days if ordered by 11 am EST from Monday to Friday
- Overnight: 1 business day if ordered by 11 am EST from Monday to Friday
However, we would like to note that the company does not list any shipping prices for expedited or overnight shipments.
What is Virtue Labs’ Return Policy?
Virtue Labs allows customers to return their products (if they are unhappy) or want an exchange (if the product is new or gently used) within 30 days of purchase. Shipping costs will not be refunded, and purchases made at any of the brand’s suppliers have to follow the store’s return policy.
If you want to start a return, you can contact the customer care team in two ways:
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 844-782-4247
How to contact Virtue Labs
There are two ways to contact Virtue Labs:
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 844-782-4247
Their customer service team is available Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 5 pm EST.
We know how important good hair products are. Check out a few other brands you may enjoy.