Olaplex Shampoo Review
Table of Contents
Olaplex is a haircare company that is known for its patented, bond-building formulas. The key ingredient that they use in their products is bis-aminopropyl diglycol dimaleate, which helps restore damaged and compromised hair.
With a steady following of over 1.9 million on Instagram, Olaplex has been spotlighted by numerous media outlets, including Refinery29, Allure Magazine, and BuzzFeed.
Additionally, their products have been used by celebrities such as Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, and Drew Barrymore.
Looking to give a new hair care regimen a try? This company may be for you. Keep reading this Olaplex shampoo review as I take a thorough look into their products, customer ratings, promotions, and more to help you decide if they’re worth your buy-in.
Olaplex was the result of years of research conducted by husband-and-wife team Dean and Darcy Christal. Dean grew up within the beauty industry, as his brother ran a tanning shop, his dad was a distributor for several retailers, and his mother operated a hair salon.
With a background like that, it was a foregone conclusion that Dean would forge a career in the cosmetic industry. But he didn’t just want to work in the field, he wanted to change it.
Teaming up with scientists and experts, he and Darcy set out to create the ultimate recipe for happy and healthy hair.
The result was bis-aminopropyl diglycol dimaleate1, an invention never before seen in the hair care industry.
This patented ingredient works to restore the millions of disulfide bonds in our hair from the inside out, repairing damage and enhancing its stability, health, and radiance.
The revolutionary bond-building technology introduced a whole new concept to hair care, and the company quickly flourished into a top-of-the-line brand.
With this integral formula and over a hundred other patents, Olaplex was established in 2014 in sunny Santa Barbara, California. Today, Olaplex is one of the largest independent hair care brands in the world.
Their products can be found in over 100 countries in professional salons, prominent retailers, and e-commerce websites, and they have been used by celebrity stylists such as Tracey Cunningham, Guy Tang, and Chad Kenyon.
Why You Should Trust Us
Our mission is to help you make better, more informed purchase decisions.
Our team spends hours researching, consulting with medical experts, gathering insight from expert professionals, reviewing customer feedback, and analyzing products to provide you with the information you need.
Pros & Cons
Before our Olaplex shampoo review digs into the brand’s game-changing products, let’s get some initial pros and cons on the table:
- Hair Repair: Olaplex works on a molecular level by restoring the hair’s broken disulfide bonds, which can be damaged during chemical treatments like bleaching and coloring. It helps to repair and strengthen the hair, making it less prone to breakage and damage.
- Enhanced Color Results: Olaplex can make a significant difference in the outcome of hair color treatments. It can help achieve vibrant and long-lasting color, especially for blonde shades, making them stand out.
- Versatility: Olaplex is available in different products, including Olaplex No. 1 and No. 2, which are used in salons during and immediately after color treatments. Additionally, Olaplex No. 3 is an at-home treatment that can be used one to three times a week to maintain the benefits of the system.
- Longer Processing Time: One common complaint among stylists is that Olaplex can increase the processing time during hair treatments. This can be seen as a drawback, especially for individuals who are looking for quick salon visits.
- Additional Time Required: When using Olaplex No. 3 as an at-home treatment, it requires an extra 10 to 20 minutes to let it soak in before rinsing and continuing with regular showering. This might be inconvenient for people with busy schedules.
The ingredients included in Olaplex products vary depending on the specific product. However, the following information provides insights into the ingredients used in Olaplex products and their purpose:
- Bis-aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate: This is the main compound in Olaplex and is used in their patented bond-building formula. It works to repair and restore damaged disulfide bonds in the hair, which can be broken during chemical treatments.
- Preservatives: Olaplex products may contain preservatives such as Cetrimonium Chloride, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, and Sodium Benzoate. These preservatives help to maintain the product’s shelf life and prevent the growth of bacteria and mold.
- Surfactants/Cleansing Agents: Olaplex shampoo products, such as Olaplex No. 4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo, may contain cleansing agents like Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, and Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate. These ingredients help to cleanse the hair and scalp by removing dirt, oils, and product buildup.
- Viscosity Controlling Agents: Hydroxyethylcellulose, PVP (Polyvinylpyrrolidone), and Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride are examples of ingredients used to control the viscosity or thickness of Olaplex products. They help provide a desirable texture and consistency to the products.
- Conditioning and Hydrating Ingredients: Olaplex No. 7 Bonding Oil may contain ingredients like Dimethicone, Coco-Caprylate, and Phenyl Trimethicone. These ingredients provide conditioning and hydrating benefits, helping to improve the appearance and texture of the hair.
Repairing broken bonds
Olaplex products, particularly those containing the patented ingredient Bis-aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate, work to rebuild and restore broken bonds in the hair. This can help improve the structural integrity of the hair and reduce damage caused by chemical treatments and heat styling.
Strengthening and preventing breakage
By repairing the hair’s bonds, Olaplex products can help strengthen the hair strands and reduce breakage. This can be beneficial for individuals with damaged or fragile hair.
Hydrating and conditioning
Some Olaplex products, like the No. 3 Hair Perfector and No. 6 Bond Smoother, are designed to provide hydration and conditioning to the hair. These products can help improve moisture levels, reduce frizz, and enhance the overall appearance and manageability of the hair.
Protecting against heat and environmental damage
Olaplex products may offer protection against damage caused by heat styling tools and UV rays from the sun. This can help minimize the detrimental effects of excessive heat and sun exposure on the hair.
Olaplex products have been reported to help reduce frizz, making the hair more manageable and smooth. This can be particularly beneficial for individuals with frizzy or unruly hair.
9 Best-Selling Olaplex Products
There’s always room for improvement, especially when it comes to cosmetics and hair care products. We should always be on the lookout for the formulas that’ll work best for us, rather than settling for the same old same old.
With their patented formulas, Olaplex could be the brand that’ll deliver that “wow” factor you’re looking for. From the Olaplex 3 Treatment to the saturating shampoos and conditioners, they have a range of shampoos, conditioners, treatments, and oils to choose from.
In this Olaplex shampoo review I will survey a selection of the brand’s bestsellers to help you get started.
Olaplex No.3 Hair Perfector Review
The product that made Olaplex a powerhouse, the No.3 Hair Perfector has won critical acclaim for its groundbreaking formula.
Designed as an at-home treatment, Olaplex NR3 reduces breakage, repairs damage, and restores your hair’s shine and luster as it protects its inner structure.
Made to be used on damp, cleansed hair, this treatment should be used one to three times a week, depending on how damaged your hair is. Free of DEA, aldehydes, and formaldehyde, it’s also vegan, cruelty-free, nut-free, and gluten-free.
You can follow this up with the Olaplex 1 and 2 treatments for maximum repair. But if you’re looking for one single product to do the job, you can grab 100ml of the No.3 Hair Perfector for $28 with the Olaplex Conditioning Formula for an added dose of luster.
Olaplex No.4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo Review
The name’s Bond, but the number’s not 007—it’s No.4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo, your daily support for the intensive Olaplex 0 and 3 treatments.
This cleanser repairs and protects your hair from environmental stressors and takes care of issues like damaged hair, split ends, and frizz.
The No.4 Shampoo is entirely color-safe, is proven to reduce breakage and strengthen all hair types, and makes your hair easier to manage while giving it a radiant shine.
Have a fighting chance against your brittle and broken hair with the 250ml No.4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo for $28.
Olaplex No. 5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner Review
Some jobs are too big to tackle alone. Give the no 4 shampoo a sidekick with the highly moisturizing No.5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner, which helps hydrate, repair, and strengthen damaged hair and split ends by relinking their broken bonds.
Designed to be color-safe, this formula will make your hair visibly shinier and healthier when used with the No 4 shampoos in your daily wash. It’s also the perfect everyday capper to the heavy-duty Olaplex 0 and Olaplex no 2 treatments.
Don’t leave the job unfinished—get the No.5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner, in a 250ml bottle for only $28.
Olaplex No.6 Bond Smoother Review
Frizz and flyaways got you down? With the No.6 Bond Smoother, you can strengthen and moisturize your hair while speeding up blow-dry times.
When applied after washing and styling, this Bond Smoother will get a leash on stray and wild hairs for up to 72 hours.
Safe for all hair types (including colored and chemically treated hair), the Olaplex no 6 smoother works to restore hair health even while it’s keeping your locks in line. Never have a bad hair day again with the No.6 Bond Smoother, which runs you $28 for a 100ml bottle.
Olaplex No.7 Bonding Oil Review
With its vibrant amber hue, the No.7 Bonding Oil is like a drop of heaven gifted us by the hair gods. This lightweight, highly concentrated formula will amp up your hair’s shine, softness, and vibrancy without weighing it down.
As if that’s not enough, this No 7 Bonding Oil also fights back flyaways and frizz while providing UV and heat protection. For sunshine-radiant hair, get the No.7 Bonding Oil in a 30ml bottle for $28.
Olaplex No.8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask Review
Bleaching, perming, heat styling, excessive cleaning—these are the words that will make your hairdresser’s heart palpitate. To start remedying the damage we inflict on our hair all too often, call on Olaplex’s No.8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask.
The name says it all: packed with the highest amount of patented Olaplex hair repair technology in the brand’s product line, this is serious hair-rescue therapy for visibly damaged hair.
Based on results done in the brand’s studies, 94% of users experienced more body in their hair, plus “2x the shine, 4x more moisture, and 6x more smoothness.”
To see these results, use on damp, washed hair weekly by working the product through your lengths with your fingers. The brand does not specify if this is a leave-in treatment, but one blogger from Refinery29 left a helpful tip:
“Olaplex No.8 isn’t a leave-in product, I decided to apply a pea-sized amount to the ends of my hair for extra smoothness and it worked really well, making it a multipurpose all-rounder.”
Bring your hair back from the brink with the 155ml No.8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask for $28.
Olaplex Iconic Styling Duo Review
Mickey and Minnie, Kermit and Miss Piggy, Kanye and Kim (RIP)—we’ve always loved our power couples, and the Iconic Styling Duo brings that love to your hair.
Pairing the No.6 Bond Smoother with the No.7 Bonding Oil, this set fights frizz and increases shine while adding protective strength.
With two full-sized bottles of Olaplex 6 and 7, you’ll be healing your hair while you style. You can double down with the Iconic Styling Duo for $56.
Olaplex The Ultimate Repair Kit Review
If you’re on a mission to achieve that ultimate glow, then it’s time to call in The Ultimate Repair Kit.
With a full-sized bottle each of the No.0 Intensive Bond Building Treatment and the No.3 Hair Perfector, this is heavy-duty damage control for your hair.
Olaplex has designed their products to work together, and this terrific tandem is the top example of the brand’s comprehensive hair repair system. Use as directed and say “bye-bye” to brittle, damaged hair. The Ultimate Repair Kit goes for $56.
Olaplex The Complete Hair Repair System Review
This is it: the murderers’ row of hair repair, the magnificent seven of bond-building technology. With The Complete Hair Repair System, you get a full-sized bottle of every individual item from Olaplex’s product line:
- No.0 Intensive Bond Building Treatment
- No.3 Hair Perfector
- No.4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo
- No.5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner
- No.6 Bond Smoother
- No.7 Bonding Oil
- No. 8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask
All of these formulas will help reinvigorate your hair starting at the molecular level. Get The Complete Hair Repair System for $196 and set yourself up for a lifetime of healthy, beautiful hair.
If you are in the market for a kit, and this doesn’t do it for you, try out the Olaplex Holiday Hair Fix Set.
Who Is Olaplex For?
Olaplex is primarily developed for individuals with damaged hair caused by chemical processes, such as hair coloring, bleaching, and perming, as well as thermal and mechanical damage.
These products are formulated to address the issue of broken bonds in the hair, which can lead to hair damage and breakage. The active ingredient in Olaplex products is a chemical compound called bis-aminopropyl diglycol dimaleate.
Olaplex products can benefit individuals with various hair types, including straight, curly, virgin, and compromised hair.
Whether you have color-treated hair, chemically processed hair, or hair that has been subjected to heat styling, Olaplex products aim to rebuild and strengthen the hair from within, improving its overall health and appearance.
Olaplex Shampoo Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
Does Olaplex really make a difference? On their website, their products have garnered hundreds (if not thousands) of rave reviews from their customers as of May 2023.
For example, the No.0 Intensive Bond Building Treatment has over 1,570 buyer testimonials and an average rating of 4/5 stars.
Customers have noted that this product made their hair feel healthy and soft while adding shine:
“It visibly repairs hair, including damaged ends. I am absolutely in love with the results. No matter if I style it straight or curly, my hair looks in a much better state thanks to this treatment,” one reviewer wrote.
The positive reviews continue on Influenster and Sephora. On Influenster, there are over 11.3k reviews of all Olaplex products.
Comments for the brand’s most popular formulas on Sephora typically range from hundreds to thousands, with an average 4/5 star rating across the board.
Reviewers from these websites stated that Olaplex’s products worked for even the most severe cases of damaged hair, and a few users even shared Olaplex before and after images to showcase the results.
Additionally, some buyers commented that a little of these formulas goes a long way.
One Influenster reviewer raved about the No.6 Bond Smoother: “I LOVE this product out of all of the olaplex products. The smallest amount is needed and it helps with tangles and frizz.”
While not all Olaplex products will work for everyone, their bond-building technology still gets results.
Is Olaplex Worth It?
Is Olaplex worth the money? To put it simply, yes. There are numerous positive customer reviews online that report that their formulas are effective in improving their hair.
The limited selection of products also indicates that the brand is focused on quality rather than quantity, even though some may find this an inconvenience.
In terms of cost, all of Olaplex’s formulas are reasonably priced, which makes their inventory widely accessible to customers who would rather do hair repair treatments at the comfort of their own homes.
The Hair Quiz on the Olaplex website is another great way to help buyers with at-home treatments. It’s particularly useful for newcomers who may be overwhelmed or uncertain about what products would work best for their hair type.
Though some of the negative reviews mentioned ineffective products or less than desirable results, there is always the brand’s 30-day return policy to continue your hair care journey.
For formulas that are professionally graded and generally effective, Olaplex is definitely worth your time if you’re looking to repair your hair.
Olaplex Shampoo Promotions & Discounts
While writing this Olaplex shampoo review, I found out that if customers refer their friends to this brand, they will receive a free 100 ml bottle of No.4 Shampoo after their first purchase.
Olaplex also has a rewards program in which buyers can accumulate points to gain access to exclusive content and deals.
Where To Buy Olaplex Shampoo
Customers can buy individual items or sets such as serums, shampoos, conditioners, and kits by visiting Olaplex.com. For at-home items, you can find them at retailers like:
- Shoppers Drug Mart
- Cult Beauty
When it comes to hair care brands that offer alternatives to Olaplex, there are several options available. Here are some notable brands that are known for their hair repair and strengthening products:
- Matrix Bond Ultim8: Matrix Bond Ultim8 is a professional hair care brand that provides bond-building treatments similar to Olaplex. Their products help to strengthen and protect the hair from damage caused by chemical treatments and heat styling.
- Redken pH-Bonder: Redken pH-Bonder is another brand that offers a bond-building system to repair and protect the hair. Their products are designed to maintain the hair’s integrity during coloring or bleaching processes, minimizing damage and breakage.
- B3 Brazilian Bond Builder: B3 Brazilian Bond Builder is a line of hair care products formulated to restore and strengthen the hair. Their products work by reattaching and rebuilding the bonds in the hair, resulting in healthier and more resilient strands.
- Schwarzkopf Fibreplex: Schwarzkopf Fibreplex is a hair care range that focuses on repairing and strengthening the hair’s internal structure. Their products, including bond boosters and bond maintainers, help to prevent breakage and maintain hair health.
- Joico Defy Damage: Joico Defy Damage is a line of hair care products that offer protection and repair against various types of damage, including chemical processing, heat styling, and environmental stressors. Their products aim to strengthen and fortify the hair while maintaining its color and vibrancy.
- Fanola Fiber Fix: Fanola Fiber Fix is a brand that specializes in hair repair and reconstruction. Their products target damaged hair, working to rebuild and strengthen the hair fibers, resulting in healthier and more resilient hair.
What is Olaplex?
Olaplex is a haircare brand known for its bond-building technology. They have been vouched for by many professional and celebrity stylists, and they have a range of both salon and at-home products.
How long does Olaplex last?
According to customer reviews online, Olaplex found out that a little goes a long way for most of their products. The styling-focused products also promise a 72-hour reduction in frizz and flyaways.
Can you leave Olaplex overnight?
Based on a statement made on their website, the brand does not recommend keeping Olaplex treatments in your hair overnight. You should consult individual product directions to see how long each should be kept in.
How long does Olaplex take to ship?
During this Olaplex shampoo review I didn’t come across a definitive shipping policy on their website. However, they do offer free shipping on US orders of $50+.
Can you return Olaplex?
If customers wish to return their orders, they can do so within four weeks of the purchasing date.
The item must be unused and in new condition in order to be eligible for return. Olaplex does not refund the shipping charge. Customers can find the return mailing address on their website.
How to contact Olaplex
For inquiries about info that wasn’t addressed in this Olaplex shampoo review, you can reach out to the company through the following methods of contact:
- Email: [email protected]
- Filling out their Message Form online
- Using the Chat Function on their website
Need some more help on your hair care journey? Here are a few options to consider:
Ask the community or leave a comment