Madison Reed Hair Review
Table of Contents
About Madison Reed
I have a Pinterest board filled with hair inspiration. The common theme? Dimensional color.
There’s something so appealing about the look, like as if the clouds fled during Golden Hour and imparted soft, sun-kissed highlights at only the most flattering angles. It’s what the almost 95 million American women who dye their hair every year crave. Coming across Madison Reed, I now know it’s done by way of a user-friendly at-home kit.
Madison Reed offers a selection of luxurious dimensional colors made with ingredients you can feel good about. Free from harsh chemicals, the kits keep the health of your locks a top priority.
As for the process, I learned I could have my dream look in just under an hour.
Manufactured in Italy, Madison Reed is unique in its 8-free permanent hair color that doesn’t contain any of the following: ammonia, parabens, resorcinol, PPD, phthalates, gluten, SLS, or titanium dioxide.
I’m also totally into the fact that the company has 20 salons across the US, including two Madison Reed NYC locations. To me, this means that its at-home color comes from a professional background.
The coolest part: A visit to The Madison Reed Color Bar is the salon experience you’re used to, but reinvented. It’s quicker, streamlined, and more affordable than your usual salon visit.
So what’s in store for this Madison Reed hair review? I’ll give you an in-depth look at the brand, their ingredients, how to use their products, their features, what customers think about them, as well as why it’s different from any other at-home color kit out there. Let’s get into it by looking at their pros and cons.
Why You Should Trust Us
Our mission is to help you make better, more informed purchase decisions.
Our team spends hours researching, consulting with medical experts, gathering insight from expert professionals, reviewing customer feedback, and analyzing products to provide you with the information you need.
Pros and Cons
- High-quality ingredients: Madison Reed’s hair color products are made with high-quality, nourishing ingredients like keratin, argan oil, and ginseng root extract, which may be gentler on hair than some other brands.
- Customizable color: Madison Reed offers a range of customizable hair color options, including root touch-up kits and color reviving glosses, allowing individuals to tailor their hair color to their unique preferences.
- Home delivery: Madison Reed products can be delivered directly to an individual’s home, making it easy to get professional-quality hair color without having to visit a salon.
- Limited color range: While Madison Reed offers a range of customizable color options, their range of shades may not be as extensive as some other brands, which may limit the options available to individuals looking for a specific hair color.
- Cost: Madison Reed’s hair color products are more expensive than some other at-home hair color brands, which may make them less accessible to individuals on a budget.
- Skill level required: While Madison Reed’s products are designed for at-home use, they may still require some skill and knowledge to apply properly, which may be a challenge for some individuals.
It’s important to note that these pros and cons are based on general observations, and individual experiences with Madison Reed’s products may vary.
Here are some examples of the high-quality ingredients used in Madison Reed’s hair color and care products:
Found naturally in hair, plant-based keratin is a key ingredient in Madison Reed’s hair color products, which help to strengthen and smoothen hair strands. A 2018 study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science found that keratin can help to strengthen hair and improve its appearance, particularly in damaged or chemically treated hair.
Extracted from the nuts of the argan tree, argan oil is renowned for its nourishing and moisturizing properties. Madison Reed uses this ingredient in their hair color and care products to help hydrate and strengthen hair. A 2022 study found that argan oil can help protect hair against oxidative damage.
Ginseng root extract
This extract, derived from the roots of the ginseng plant, is believed to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Madison Reed uses ginseng root extract in their hair color products to provide protection against damage. A 2017 study published in the Journal of Ginseng Research found that ginseng root extract has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can help to protect against damage to hair follicles.
Baobab seed oil
Rich in vitamins and fatty acids, baobab seed oil is sourced from the seeds of the baobab tree. Madison Reed uses this ingredient in their hair care products to provide hydration and strength to hair. A 2017 study found that baobab seed oil can improve the moisture content and elasticity of hair, as well as reduce frizz and improve hair manageability.
Meadowfoam seed oil
Derived from the seeds of the meadowfoam plant, meadowfoam seed oil is known for its moisturizing and conditioning properties. Madison Reed uses this ingredient in their hair care products to help smooth and strengthen hair. A 2021 study found that meadowfoam seed oil can tighten and strengthen skin on the head.
How to Use
The usage instructions for Madison Reed hair color and care products can vary slightly depending on the specific product, but here are some general guidelines:
- Hair Color: Before using Madison Reed hair color, it’s important to do a patch test to check for any allergic reactions. The company provides detailed instructions on how to do this on their website. Once you’re ready to color your hair, you’ll mix the color with the developer and apply it to dry, unwashed hair. Follow the instructions for how long to leave the color on your hair before rinsing it out and applying the included color protecting shampoo and conditioner.
- Shampoo and Conditioner: Madison Reed’s shampoo and conditioner products can be used like any other hair care products. Wet your hair thoroughly, apply the shampoo to your scalp and work it through your hair, then rinse it out. Follow up with the conditioner, focusing on the ends of your hair, and rinse it out.
- Root Touch Up: The Madison Reed Root Touch Up product is designed to cover up gray hairs or root regrowth between hair colorings. To use it, apply the product to dry hair and use the included brush to blend it in.
Always be sure to read the specific usage instructions that come with each product to ensure you’re using it correctly.
Madison Reed Hair Color Chart
Colors, colors…how to choose? I’m used to blonde but Madison Reed has 4 different levels of the color with a handful of shades in each.
With a range of 50+ shades in total, the Madison Reed hair color chart can help you find a near-perfect match. From rich dimensional blacks, browns, and reds to blondes, there’s an impressive selection of tones for every color group.
Without the help of an expert, I’ve found it to be a little daunting to choose my own color. Do I want Capri Blonde or Pisa Blonde? I imagine scheduling a call with my friends for advice. Thankfully, Madison Reed offers a Color Quiz to ensure you find the perfect match.
Rather go it alone? You can check out the shade comparison charts or speak to their online chatbot Madi to find the shade that is most flattering for you.
To have the chatbot match your color, simply text a selfie, et voila—it comes back with the perfect shade! Feeling a little excited, I ready my camera.
If you want to skip the selfie, I’ve included the Madison Reed color chart just below in this Madison Reed hair review. Take a peek:
6 Best-Selling Madison Reed Hair Products
Madison Reed has a great range of products to get you that salon look for less money and time. I’m totally vibing with its photos of glossy, dimensional color.
If you’re looking to give your hair a little refresh but don’t want to hit the salon just yet, continue reading this Madison Reed color review as I guide you through their hair color solutions.
Permanent Hair Color
Looking for long-lasting color? Madison Reed’s Permanent Hair Color is for all hair types.
The colors, thoughtfully made in Italy, are packed with hair-loving nutrients like keratin, argan oil, and ginseng extract.
As I mentioned before in this Madison Reed hair review, the colors are free of ammonia, PPD, resorcinol, parabens, phthalates, gluten, SLS, and titanium dioxide, but I thought it was worth noting again.
Their absence in Madison Reed’s formulas means that you can color your hair without damage. The result? Healthier, shinier hair.
I appreciate that the brand is pretty transparent about its ingredients, and if you’re curious, you can check out the full ingredient list online.
As for the colors, your at-home kit will include the following:
- Radiant Cream Color
- Color Activator
- Barrier Cream
- Cleansing Wipes
- Color Protecting Shampoo & Conditioner
- Protective Cap & Gloves
Each color kit costs $22 and you also have the option of purchasing Pro Boost Treatments (a $5 add-on). These additional treatments come in several different formulas: Strength, Seal, Hydrate, and Shine.
Pro tip: If you have really long or thick hair, order a second tube.
What customers are saying: “Loved the color and covered my grays nicely. Love that it works great and doesn’t have any of those nasty chemicals.”
Gray is the enemy of fresh-looking color. Looking for a quick fix to say goodbye to those gray roots? Enter Madison Reed’s Root Perfection.
Extending time between salon visits by 3 weeks, it blends seamlessly with salon hair color and covers 100% of grays in just 10 minutes. It’s super easy to apply and is made with keratin, argan oil, and ginseng root extract to nourish and protect your strands.
Available in 8 universal shades, there’s a seamless color match for everyone, and get this—it can even lift the color of your natural hair 2 shades lighter. Genius! Features like a reusable bowl and brush applicator make it mess-free.
Each Root Perfection kit comes with the following:
- Root Perfection Hair Color Cream
- Root Perfection Color Activator
- Pura Color Therapy Hair Mask
- Cleansing wipe
I’m a huge fan of this temporary, simple, and effective solution that helps erase pesky roots. The kit runs at $30 for two applications.
What customers are saying: “I like the quality of the product. It doesn’t make my scalp itchy and it seems to be less drying than retail store shelf root touch up products I have used previously.”
Color Reviving Gloss
The reason your hair looks so fab when you leave the salon? Glossy color.
Hair color fades, it’s inevitable. But there are ways to brighten up your color to give it that vibrant and shiny freshly colored look without redoing your color. Madison Reed’s Color Reviving Gloss does just that.
This product comes in 7 semi-permanent shades and one universal clear gloss. You can use the gloss on the mid-lengths and ends of your hair while touching up your roots to freshen up your color without creating more color buildup in your hair.
Or, you can refresh your hair in between colorings to keep it from fading before your next application.
This gloss is versatile and can accomplish different things: reduce brassiness, add a pop of color, add warmth, or just increase your hair’s shine. The glosses run at $25 per 4 oz bottle.
What customers are saying: “Love coloring at home. Used other brands before but Madison Reed is great because it doesn’t smell like chemicals…which has to be better for your hair right!? Color looks fabulous and shade matches what I viewed on the website. I’m hooked!”
Root Touch Up
You’re in-between colors, your 7 grey strands are showing, and you have a hot date. Sound familiar? It’s a situation I faced just last weekend but I know I’m not alone.
While not a permanent fix, root touch-up powder is so handy when a last-minute event or obligation comes up and you don’t have time for a color.
Madison Reed’s Root Touch Up covers roots and greys instantly, no muss no fuss. This product is a brush-on powder infused with micro-milled pigments that give a look of depth while giving you excellent coverage.
The powder works on all hair types and one of their 6 shades will blend in well enough for you to pull off a just-got-my-hair-colored look on the fly.
The product stays put and won’t stain fabrics or budge with rain or sweat. Superpowers, much?
The Root Touch Up also doubles as a brow powder—which I think is pretty cool, so that you don’t have to struggle to find the perfect brow product that matches your locks.
This Root Touch Up powder is long-lasting and good for about 60 uses. Priced at $30, I’d say this versatile product can become a staple in your beauty bag.
What customers are saying: “It was a little nerve wracking but I watched the videos. Received many compliments on the color. Very happy with the results!”
Madison Reed Color Therapy Review
Highlights and styling can totally wreck your hair. Trust me, I’m no stranger to frizz and split ends. But what if I found a color that nourishes?
Madison Reed’s Color Therapy is a restorative treatment that tones and enhances color while adding intense hydration.
Loaded with argan oil, keratin, and ginseng, you’ll pick from 4 color options to get a shade you love.
What I love: The more often you use this hair mask, the more color is deposited…but generally, the product is used 2-3 times a week in place of conditioner.
To use, post-shampoo, smooth the product through your hair and wait 5 minutes to rinse. Grab a 4 oz bottle for $20.
What customers are saying: “Made a big difference as my roots were so grey.”
Madison Reed Men’s Hair Color Review
There’s something I’ve learned about men’s hair color through the years, and it’s that it kind of looks like shoe polish. Men’s hair color should look natural, and that’s Madison Reed’s mission with their Men’s Hair Color line.
The colors produce a very natural look that also blends greys in both their hair and beard. The product is straightforward—for men who don’t want to spend too much time worrying about their hair. I know a few who may bite.
The color gel is applied to a dry head of hair, followed by the color activator, which will stay on for 10 minutes before washing. Founder and CEO Amy Errett calls it “the world’s best men’s hair color that you’ve never seen (That’s just how discreet it really is).”
The line comes in 5 different shades which seamlessly match with just about any color. Each 20 ml color costs $20 and lasts for two applications.
What customers are saying: “Was relatively easy to use – did it by myself. Color was exactly as advertised and hair felt hydrated and healthy afterwards.”
If you want to browse before committing to one brand, consider checking out what the following labels have to offer:
- Splat Hair Dye: Expressive and bold temporary hair dyes that are sold in many big box stores.
- Good Dye Young: Hayley Williams’ brand of semi-permanent hair dyes. All their products are vegan and cruelty-free.
- Prose: Custom hair care products tailored to each shopper’s desires. Their catalog includes shampoos, conditioners, and hair oils.
Madison Reed Hair Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
In doing my research for this Madison Reed hair review, I’ve definitely discovered that the brand has a devoted clientele who swear by their products—whether they do it themselves at home or visit a Color Bar location.
I’ll break it down with some ratings I picked up from madison-reed.com as of May 2023:
- Medium Neutral Blonde Hair Color: 4/5 stars from more than 390 reviews
- Root Touch Up Ombra: 3.8/5 stars from more than 800 reviews
- Root Reboot Livorno: 3.5/5 stars from more than 80 reviews
- LightWorks Sorrento Highlighting Kit: 3.2/5 stars from more than 300 reviews
- Toning Glaze Ardenza: 3/5 stars from more than 15 reviews
Checking out the testimonials for the Medium Neutral Blonde Hair Color, I found one comment that read:
“I was amazed at the outcome of my at home color. A gal at work turned me on to this company and I honestly don’t think I will go to the salon for my color- I feel like the color was a perfect match and it looked exactly like the photos did!”
Tons of people feel the same way, but to back these comments up, I thought it would be valuable to head off of the brand’s website and onto Ulta.
Looking into the Radiant Hair Color Kit, I saw an overall 4.1/5 star rating from over 44,000 shoppers as of May 2023. Ok, wow, people love this kit.
So what did they think? Here’s one Madison Reed hair review that sums it up nicely:
“I have been using this product for about three years. Love it! Love the color (Milano Brown), coverage & hardly any smell. Also. the kit has everything you need. You don’t need to buy anything but the kit. I have recommended it to many friends, and they still use Madison Reed.”
The barely-there smell may have something to do with the natural and non-toxic ingredients in Madison Reed hair color, but whatever it is, this fact alone earns the brand some serious points.
Not all feedback is positive, of course. The most common complaint? The colors are darker than they appear. Some users mention color bleeding too, but neither of these was so frequent as to raise red flags.
For most, Madison Reed color is spot on, even earning the brand a solid B rating on the Better Business Bureau.
Overall, I found a lot of happy people out there who appreciate the artisan-created hues, fair price, and easy application. I would definitely be interested in trying out their products based on price and time efficiency alone.
Are Madison Reed Hair Color Treatments Worth It?
Is Madison Reed good hair color? Based on my research for this Madison Reed hair review, I think this brand is a great option if you don’t want to visit a salon.
The brand is affordable, contains less toxic ingredients, and is definitely of higher quality than anything that you would pick up in a drug store.
So if you’re looking for a subtle change or refresh to your hair, Madison Reed is a great option. Just be sure to take your time reading the instructions if you are applying at home.
Like with any hair color, things could go awry, but if you remain patient and follow the instructions, this is an excellent and affordable way to do it.
How to Choose the Best Madison Reed Product
Here are some tips to help you choose the best Madison Reed hair products for your needs:
- Consider your hair type: Different hair types have different needs when it comes to hair care. For example, if you have curly hair, you may want to look for products that are specifically designed for curly hair, while if you have fine hair, you may want to look for products that won’t weigh your hair down. Madison Reed offers products for a variety of hair types, so be sure to choose products that are suited to your hair type.
- Determine your hair goals: Are you looking to color your hair, or are you more focused on maintaining your hair’s health and shine? Madison Reed offers a range of hair care products, from hair color to shampoo and conditioner to styling products, so think about your hair goals and choose products that will help you achieve them.
- Read reviews: One of the best ways to determine whether a hair product will work for you is to read reviews from other customers who have used it. Check out reviews on the Madison Reed website and other online retailers to see what other people have to say about the products you’re considering.
- Consult with a professional: If you’re unsure about which products to choose, consider consulting with a professional stylist. Many salons offer consultations where you can get personalized recommendations for hair care products that will work best for your hair type and goals.
- Take advantage of free samples: Madison Reed offers free samples of many of their hair care products, so take advantage of these offers to try out products before you commit to buying the full-sized version. This can help you determine whether a product works for your hair type and goals without having to spend money on a full-sized product upfront.
Madison Reed Promotions & Discounts
I went on a deals hunt for this Madison Reed hair review and found quite a few promotions running.
The first thing I noticed? I could get a free consultation to find my dream formula. After that, my eyes were drawn to the $15 credit I could get by referring a friend (they get $15 too).
Clicking the promotions tab revealed a current bundle sale on the Root Touch Up. Get 15-25% off when you buy 2 or more.
The brand also posts free tutorials and videos online, plus, I found that shipping is free on your first order when you sign up for the mailing list.
Where To Buy Madison Reed Hair Color
Madison Reed Hair Color can be purchased through their website Madison-Reed.com. Can you buy Madison Reed in stores, you ask? I did some research and found that limited products are available at Ulta stores. You can also shop select product through the Madison Reed Amazon page.
How Long Does Madison Reed Hair Color Last?
It depends on which type you use. Permanent hair color remains on the hair until it grows to expose the roots, though it can begin to fade.
I learned that the glosses and hair masks are semi-permanent, which means they will just fade out with time. All that to say that it usually lasts 6-8 shampoos.
Madison Reed Shipping Policy
Madison Reed only ships within the US, and to select US territories including Guam, the Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. Orders placed before noon on a weekday will ship out the same day—anything placed after noon will go out the following day.
A tracking number will be sent after your order has shipped out via FedEx or USPS. Standard Shipping takes 3-7 business days, starting from the day the order is shipped (business days are considered Mon-Fri and do not include weekends or holidays.)
Madison Reed Return Policy
Any unopened product can be returned within 6 months of purchase. Very kind, Madison Reed. You are not required to contact customer service, just write “Return to Sender” on your parcel and return it to the post office. Super easy.
For opened products that are no longer in their original packaging, customers can repackage the product and send it back along with a note with your order number. As soon as a parcel is received, your refund will be issued.
I’ll note that Madison Reed does not accept returns for Root Touch Up Powder, Tame, and Style products.
Contact Madison Reed
If you have any questions I didn’t answer in this Madison Reed hair review, you can reach out to the team through the following methods of contact:
Phone: 1(866) 817- 0814
Live chat on Madison-Reed.com
1. He, L., Michailidou, F., Gahlon, H.L. and Zeng, W. (2022). Hair Dye Ingredients and Potential Health Risks from Exposure to Hair Dyeing. Chemical Research in Toxicology, 35(6), pp.901–915. doi:10.1021/acs.chemrestox.1c00427.
2.Tinoco, A., Gonçalves, J., Silva, C., Loureiro, A., Gomes, A.C., Cavaco-Paulo, A. and Ribeiro, A. (2018). Keratin-based particles for protection and restoration of hair properties. International Journal of Cosmetic Science, [online] 40(4), pp.408–419. doi:10.1111/ics.12483.
3.Sharifi, N., Hamedeyazdan, S., Shokri, J. and Monajjemzadeh, F. (2022). Argan oil as a pretreatment of human hair before exposure to oxidative damage: Attenuated total reflectance and protein loss studies. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. doi:10.1111/jocd.14885.
4.Choi, B. (2018). Hair-Growth Potential of Ginseng and Its Major Metabolites: A Review on Its Molecular Mechanisms. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 19(9), p.2703. doi:10.3390/ijms19092703.
Not totally convinced by Madison Reed? Check out our review for Function of Beauty, an entirely customizable haircare brand.
Fans of YouTube star Brand Mondo should check out XMondo Hair.