Noom Diet Plan Review
Table of Contents
About Noom Diet Plan
According to a 2016 report by the World Health Organization, 39% of adults worldwide were overweight and 13% obese. Overweight and obesity are becoming another global health pandemic.
Obesity is a risk factor for metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, cancer, and cardiovascular diseases. A recent systematic review found that maintaining weight loss can be achieved by changing the way we eat (reducing the intake of energy by cutting unhealthy food, decreasing sugar and fat consumption, portion control, and increasing vegetable and fruit intake), increasing physical activity, and attempting behavioral changes like self-monitoring.
Noom is an app-based weight loss and health system which is focused on changing your habits, mindset, and behavior long-term. Helping you to track your weight by monitoring what you eat, it offers nutritional guidance along the way.
While on the Noom Diet Plan, I learned that I would work with experts and follow a personalized plan that was just for me. I’d be a part of the Noom community of others on a similar path—a group of people I read are incredibly supportive.
With all of that in mind, I wondered, would Noom be right for me? If you’re asking yourself the same thing, I suggest checking out this Noom diet plan review. I’ve packed in as much information about the brand as I could find, including details on the service, reviews, and more.
Noom Pros & Cons
So what’s up ahead in this Noom diet plan review? First, I’ll give you a peek at the pros and cons of the app then get into the nitty-gritty of its subscription.
- Personalized Plans: Noom offers personalized plans that are tailored to your specific nutrition goals, preferences, and health needs. This customization allows for a more individualized approach to weight loss and can help you develop a plan that works best for you.
- Pricing Options: Noom offers a range of pricing options to accommodate different budgets. Pricing starts as low as $70 per month and goes up to $209 for a yearly membership. This flexibility allows you to choose a plan that fits your financial situation.
- Community and Group Support: Noom provides a sense of community by offering group support throughout the weight loss process. Being part of a community of individuals on a similar journey can provide motivation, encouragement, and a platform to share experiences and challenges.
- Personal Coach: Each Noom user is assigned a personal coach who provides guidance, support, and accountability. Having a dedicated coach can help you stay motivated, answer questions, and provide assistance when needed.
- Google Fit Compatibility: Noom is compatible with Google Fit, a fitness tracking platform. This compatibility allows for convenient integration of your physical activity data, making it easier to track and monitor your progress within the Noom app.
- Accountability: Noom helps you stay accountable to your goals through reminders and tracking tools. Regular check-ins, progress tracking, and reminders can help you stay on track and maintain your commitment to the program.
- Positive Customer Reviews: Noom has received many positive customer reviews, indicating that the program has been effective for numerous individuals in achieving their weight loss goals. Positive reviews can provide reassurance and confidence in the program’s potential effectiveness.
- Weight Loss Pace: While Noom encourages sustainable weight loss, the pace of weight loss may vary from person to person. Some individuals may find the weight loss progression slower than expected, which could be frustrating for those seeking quick results.
- Expensive: Noom’s pricing, starting at a minimum of $70 per month, may be higher than what some people are willing or able to spend on a weight loss program.
- Potentially Degrading Language: While Noom’s user experience is intended to be motivating, some individuals may find the language used in the app and website, such as “conquer your food triggers,” to be derogatory. This oversimplification may not acknowledge the complexity of challenges faced by individuals with genuine struggles related to food triggers or emotional eating.
- No Face-to-Face Option: If you prefer face-to-face coaching, Noom may not be the ideal choice for you. The program solely relies on a chat service for communication, and there are no options for in-person or video coaching sessions.
- Coach Credentials: While Noom’s health coaches are approved by the National Consortium for Credentialing Health and Wellness Coaches (NCCHWC) and undergo training through Noom’s platform, “Noomiversity,” they may not possess credentials as certified nutritionists, registered dietitians, personal trainers, doctors, or other certified health professionals outside of Noom’s independent training program.
- Potential Issues with the Color Approach: Noom’s color-labeling approach to food selection may work well for some individuals. However, for others, it could lead to disordered eating habits or an unhealthy relationship with food. For example, categorizing almond butter as a red food due to its calorie content may not accurately reflect its nutritional value, potentially causing confusion or restriction.
It’s important to remember that the effectiveness of Noom or any weight loss program can vary among individuals.
It’s advisable to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any weight loss program and consider your personal needs, goals, and preferences when evaluating the pros and cons of Noom.
How Does Noom Work?
Noom helps you to stay on track both mentally and physically by taking control and accountability of what you are eating. Throughout my years of dieting, like so many others, I’ve found this to be what helps me succeed.
When you sign up, you’ll receive a Noom food list divided into three color categories to help you stay organized.
You’ll also have a dedicated coach, community support, beneficial articles, and a chart to fill in with your fitness and food choices. I’ve often felt out of control with my eating, almost as if taking the wheel was impossible. Noom makes it easy to take back control.
The initial download of the app is free, but I soon learned that in order to continue, I needed to select a subscription plan. I’ll get into those soon. Based on your reported goals and answers in Noom’s quiz, its team will suggest the best plan for you.
If you like, Noom can even sync with other health apps to draw in data (like activities and food tracking) to give you an overarching look at your day. From what it learns about your your daily calorie deficits, Noom will track your weight loss for you.A recent study evaluated the relationship between engagement and weight loss results among Noom users between 35 and 85 years old. Although younger adults were more engaged with the program, older adults lost more weight compared to younger users. So you are never too old to improve your health using this App.
Noom App Features
The Noom app offers several features and tools to support individuals in their weight loss journey. Here are some key features of the Noom app:
Noom provides a personalized plan based on your individual goals, preferences, and health information. The app takes into account factors such as your age, weight, activity level, and dietary preferences to create a customized plan that suits your needs.
The app includes a food logging feature that allows you to track your daily food intake. You can easily search for foods, log meals and snacks, and monitor your calorie intake. The app also provides a color-coded system to help you make healthier food choices based on their calorie density and nutritional value.
Noom enables you to track your physical activity and monitor your exercise progress. You can log various activities, such as walking, running, or strength training, and the app will estimate the calories burned based on your input.
The app allows you to set specific goals related to weight loss, physical activity, and other health metrics. You can track your progress towards these goals and receive reminders and motivational messages to stay on track.
Noom provides daily educational lessons on a range of topics related to nutrition, psychology, behavior change, and healthy habits. These lessons are designed to enhance your understanding of weight loss principles and provide practical strategies for sustainable lifestyle changes.
Noom offers virtual coaching support through the app. Coaches provide guidance, accountability, and motivation to help you stay focused on your goals. You can communicate with your coach through the app’s messaging system.
Noom includes a group support feature that allows you to connect with other users on a similar weight loss journey. You can share experiences, ask questions, and provide support to fellow members. This sense of community can provide additional motivation and accountability.
Is Noom Free?
Though I found that you can use Noom without the subscription, you won’t have access to two of the most important features: the personalized coach and the Noom community support. No matter which plan you sign up for, you can also purchase add ons for your subscription including meal plans to make the journey a little bit easier.
Next, I’ll run you through Noom’s available subscription plans:
- 2 months
- 4 months
- 6 months
- 8 months
With so many options, I’ll be focusing on the Monthly Auto-Recurring Plan, the 6-Month Auto-Recurring Plan, and the Annual Auto-Recurring Plan for this Noom diet plan review.
Not sure where to start? Take the survey on the Noom website to see what plan is best for you.
How Much is a Noom Diet Plan?
Free trials are where it’s at. Letting you test the platform out before committing, I was happy to learn that Noom offers a 14-day free trial.
After that, you’ll then make payments monthly or annually based on your plan. I’ve listed the prices of each below in this This Noom diet plan review:
- $70 per month
- $129 per 2 months
- $169 per 4 months
- $179 per 6 months
- $189 per 8 months
- $209 per year
Noom Monthly Auto-Recurring Plan
Want to adopt healthier eating habits? This Noom plan may be the best choice for you if you don’t know where to start. I found the Subscription Monthly Auto-Recurring Plan to be a great way to start your journey to better health and it includes all the tools you need to get going.
Each month, you’ll enjoy activity and food tracking, calorie counting advice using their color system, personal coaching, and group support. The personal coach checks in to make sure you are reaching your weight loss goals and I think they’d be super valuable for folks like me who need accountability.
Hop over to the Group Support channel to cheer on your comrades, who like you, are navigating through the Noom process. Not all weight loss systems off this kind of thing, and it’s something I really like about Noom.
Think it’s a good fit? The Subscription Monthly Auto-Recurring Plan is $70 a month. If you are looking to test out the Noom system, I think this is a great plan for you.
Noom 6-Month Auto-Recurring Plan
Want to make a longer commitment? To keep up the work you started and make sure your weight loss journey becomes a lifestyle, choosing a long-term plan such as the 6-month Auto-Recurring Plan can be really beneficial.
Just like the first plan, this system also includes activity and food tracking, calorie counting advice, personal coaching, and group support. All of these amazing tools help push you to reach your goals.
When using this system for months, I think that Group Support would be a fantastic perk. With larger goals, having a group of people going through the same thing may be one of the most helpful tools you can have.
And here’s what I particularly love. This Noom subscription costs $169, which is less than half of what it would cost you monthly (that number is $360 btw).
Noom Annual Auto-Recurring Plan
Often, when diet plans end, I’ve felt unsure of where to turn. Though I’d have the recipes to use, it’s the accountability and tools I seek. Noom isn’t like your average diet plan designed to be used for just a few months. It’s something you can use for life. So why stop?
The Annual Auto-Recurring Plan is the ideal choice if you don’t want to stop after seeing great results. It’s a great plan for someone looking for long-term help with weight loss and a chance to add meal plans to keep things exciting and motivating.
For $199 annually, you will receive all of the features a Noom subscription has to offer. Helping yo stay accountable, motivated, and on the right path, I think it’s smart for long-term weight loss goals. Cool part? If you paid for it monthly, it would have cost $750.
Who is Noom For?
Noom is designed for individuals who are looking to achieve their weight loss goals and adopt healthier lifestyle habits.
The program is suitable for a variety of individuals with different needs and preferences. Here are some groups of people who may benefit from Noom:
- Individuals seeking weight loss: Noom is particularly well-suited for individuals who want to lose weight in a sustainable manner. The program focuses on long-term behavior change rather than quick fixes, making it suitable for those who are committed to making lasting lifestyle adjustments.
- People who prefer a personalized approach: Noom provides a personalized approach to weight loss, taking into account your goals, preferences, and health information. The program tailors its recommendations and lessons based on your specific needs, allowing for a more individualized experience.
- Those who benefit from accountability and support: Noom offers a support system to help you stay motivated and accountable throughout your weight loss journey. The inclusion of personal coaches, virtual communities, and progress tracking tools can provide the necessary guidance and encouragement for individuals who thrive on support.
- Individuals who want to address psychological factors: Noom recognizes the importance of addressing psychological and emotional aspects of weight loss. The program incorporates lessons and techniques that focus on behavior change, self-reflection, and developing a positive mindset, making it suitable for individuals who want to address the underlying factors impacting their eating habits.
- Those who prefer a digital platform: Noom operates primarily through its mobile app, making it convenient for individuals who prefer a digital platform for tracking progress, accessing educational content, and engaging with coaches and the Noom community.
It’s important to note that while Noom is generally well-suited for the above groups, the program may not be suitable for everyone.
It’s always advisable to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any weight loss program and consider your individual needs, preferences, and any underlying medical conditions.
While Noom is a popular weight loss program, there are several alternatives available that offer different approaches to achieving weight loss and promoting healthy lifestyle habits.
Here are some notable alternatives to Noom:
- Weight Watchers (WW): Weight Watchers, now known as WW, is a well-established weight loss program that focuses on a points-based system. It assigns point values to foods and encourages portion control and healthier eating habits. WW offers a variety of tools, support, and a community for its members.
- Immudi Plan: The Immudi Plan is an anti-inflammatory diet plan that gives you tools to transform your habits and create long-lasting change with its benefits. It emphasizes anti-inflammatory foods like vegetables, protein, and fruits to help you steadily reach your goals. With this steady and long-term transformation plan, you can achieve benefits like weight loss, an increase in mood, better sleep, and the delay of the adverse effects of aging on the body.
- MyFitnessPal: MyFitnessPal is a widely used app and website that allows users to track their food intake, exercise, and overall nutrition. It offers a large food database, personalized goal setting, and integration with fitness tracking devices. MyFitnessPal provides a flexible approach to calorie tracking and offers community support.
- Jenny Craig: Jenny Craig is a commercial weight loss program that provides pre-packaged meals and personalized coaching. It offers portion-controlled meals, one-on-one support, and guidance on nutrition, exercise, and behavior change.
- Nutrisystem: Nutrisystem is a meal delivery program that provides portion-controlled meals and snacks. It offers a variety of plans tailored to different dietary needs and goals. Nutrisystem focuses on convenience and provides guidance on healthy eating and portion control.
These are just a few examples of weight loss programs and apps that offer alternatives to Noom.
It’s important to consider your individual needs, preferences, and goals when selecting a weight loss program. Consulting with a healthcare professional can also provide guidance in choosing the best approach for your specific circumstances.
Noom Diet Plan vs. Weight Watchers
There are so many options when it comes to choosing a weight loss system, trust me, I’ve done the bulk of them. In this part of my Noom diet plan review, I’ll specifically focus on Noom vs Weight Watchers.
Weight Watchers is a long-standing weight loss system that has now been moved to a digital platform. The company uses a points system that gives you a set amount of points for your day and week based on your current height, weight, and goals.
The app allows you to search or scan foods and will tell you how many points they are worth. On it, you can log both fitness and food using their app. There are currently three available plans:
- Blue: the traditional system that gives you several points per day as well as zero point foods
- Purple: fewer points daily but more zero food point
- Green: more daily points and less zero point foods
You can change your plan at any time. Here’s what I found in terms of Weight Watchers’ pricing:
- Digital app: approximately $3 per week
- 360 app and WW coaches: approx $7 per week and a 30-day trial
- Unlimited workshop and digital access: approximately $6 per week
- Coaching and digital: approximately $9 per week
Noom has been referred to as Weight Watchers for millennials, and I can see how, but also, it has so many more features.
I found that the subscription service is similar to Weight Watchers in the sense that you will track your daily food intake, but Noom takes this to the next level by suggesting the best times for you to eat based on your metabolism, lifestyle, etc.
Noom uses a system of sorting foods by color based on their calories and nutrition instead of using points. Orange foods are the most calorie-dense, yellow foods include meat and cheeses (foods to be eaten in moderation), and green foods list the foods that you should stock your plate with daily. The goal of this color-coded chart is to make healthy and nutritious choices.
Noom also offers coaches who check in regularly with personalized messages and provide full support. I learned that you’ll also be provided schedules with checklists, quizzes, and articles to read. To me, it definitely seems to be more of a lifestyle system than a weight loss system. Pricing for Noom is $59 per month.
During this Noom diet plan review, I found that when comparing Weight Watchers and Noom, it’s all about your personal preference. Both systems focus on more than losing weight, while Noom takes it to the next level by incorporating psychological wellness.
The goal of both systems is to help you make healthy choices long-term with no restrictions and I appreciate that. With that said, if you’re not someone who likes counting calories, Noom may not be the right choice for you.
It’s important to note that Noom’s subscription does cost more than Weight Watchers does—but it offers more though its platform too. Noom is ideal for those looking to focus on the mental side of health and weight loss, but I’ll note that both systems offer free trials and boast great results.
Noom Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
Heading out in search of feedback, I discovered that Noom Google reviews include both Reddit and Trustpilot. In this part of my Noom diet plan review, though there are tons out there, I’ll focus on the commentary found from these two reliable sources.
Leaning in, I was quite happy to find that Noom has exceptional reviews on Trustpilot with a total of 4.2/5 stars from 61,428 ratings. Noom reviews 2020 on this site are overwhelmingly positive with customers discussing their success stories.
Customers loved how it changed their “thought processes about food, accountability to a real person,” and their offered “psych tips.” Some even referred to Noom as “therapy.” This is exactly what what I love about Noom and why it’s so unique.
Next up for this Noom diet plan review, I took a look at one of the many Noom Reddit threads. After scanning the comments, it appears that Noom reviews Reddit were overall positive. It pleases me to say that many customers found success in losing weight. “Think of it as having an accountability buddy,” wrote one.
Below, you’ll find a Noom before and after photo showing off amazing results:
With tons of visual proof and an endless flow of positive feedback, I was really happy with what I found for this part of my Noom diet plan review. Though, based on my first impression of the brand, I’m not all that surprised it turns out to be beneficial for so many.
Is Noom Worth It?
It’s important I deal with facts for this Noom diet plan review, so I turned to a source that laid the them out for me plainly.
In a clinical study that evaluated the efficacy of this method among 35,921 Noom users, researchers found that 78% of users lost weight, with 22.7% losing more than 10% of their body weight.
Although this program has benefited thousands of users, further research is needed as current studies don’t show high-quality scientific evidence. Many current App programs lack a bulk of the evidence-based behavioral strategies recommended for the treatment of obesity and those who are overweight.
So is Noom worth it? If you’ve tried other weight loss systems and haven’t found success, I’d definitely say that it is. Throughout this Noom diet plan review, I learned that unlike other systems, Noom assists you mentally to improve your relationship with food.
Having a personal coach and a community included in your subscription are two unique features I really love about Noom. However, I should note that a health coach does not have the same education and knowledge as a registered nutritionist. If you have any food sensitivities or health conditions, look for professional advice.If you are someone who does not like counting calories, find yourself feeling guilty, or hate logging every meal you eat, this system may not be for you. But if you’re looking for flexible and sustainable weight loss, with over 30,000 exceptional customer reviews, I think this program could help you find it.
Noom Promotions & Discounts
Though I didn’t find any current discount codes for Noom, there is a 7-Day Noom free trial you can use test out their services for free. Plus, if you buy a multiple-month or annual subscription, prices are discounted.
Sign up for Noom
Ready for a new approach to weight loss? First, head to Noom.com, then follow the steps below:
- Make sure you have email address, social media account, or smartphone
- Sign up on the Noom website first
- Download the app (you can do this via Noom Google Play)
- Create an account
- Take the personality quiz
- Start using Noom
- Start seeing results!
What does Noom actually do?
After looking at so many, Weight loss services can all start to blur together at one point. I get it. Noom is an app that helps you monitor what you eat with the help of a coach, as well as the support of the Noom community.
It is a long-term system that will change your mindset and help you live a healthier lifestyle by making the right choices (a.k.a mindful eating).
What is the Noom diet?
In this Noom diet plan review, I found that the diet is a personalized weight loss and health system to assist and motivate you to maintain a healthier lifestyle.
Based on personal questions, Noom develops a personalized diet and allows you to track what you are eating. Worries about missing out on pizza night? I was too. Good new is that you’ll be able to eat all of the foods you love in moderation. Based on their color-coded system, it will assist you in making the appropriate choices.
Is there a free version of Noom?
Yes, I was super pumped to find you can use the app for free. After your 14-day Noom free trial, the free version will not include a coach or the group but you can still log food, exercise, and weigh in.
How long is the Noom program?
The Noom program runs for 16-weeks but I learned that you can continue the program for as long as you would like. Each part lasts a set amount of weeks depending on your goals.
Does Noom Diet Plan offer meal plans?
The Noom diet plan service doesn’t include a meal plan in the set price. You can add-on a meal plan option that’s delivered in 2-week increments.
What are orange foods on Noom?
Noom categorizes food into color groups: Orange, Yellow, or Green. Orange foods are foods with the most calories and least nutrients, with the brand suggesting that you can eat 25% of these foods. Examples of these foods are some of my favorites like french fries, pizza, nuts, cakes, and full-fat dairy.
Noom Yellow Foods are foods that are not extremely low or high in calories but are in the middle. This includes foods such as lean meats, low-fat dairy, and beans.
You should consume 45% Yellow Food on this diet. Green foods are very low-calorie foods such as fruits, vegetables, and egg whites, and it’s recommended that you eat about 30% of these foods daily.
How do I restart Noom?
Things happen, and I always appreciate when I can take a mulligan. If you would like to restart a week of Noom, you can message your goal specialist in the chat and them know what you would like to restart. You can restart from the beginning if you are using the Noom app on Android or iOS (see photo below).
If your app looks like the image below, you will not be able to restart the program.
How do I cancel my Noom subscription?
Not every relationship is meant to last forever. If you’re ready to cancel Noom and give things a go on your own, just follow the steps below:
- Send a message to your coach/goal specialist saying “cancel” in the app (if downloaded on your phone)
- If you have the app installed, you may also tell your coach or goal specialist that you require a refund
- If you don’t have the app, log in to the subscription portal through your account on the website. From there, go to coach messages and say “cancel” or request a refund
- Keep in mind that uninstalling the app does not cancel your subscription
- You will still have access to your coach until the end of the billing cycle but will not be charged again once you have requested a cancellation
How to Contact Noom
If you have any questions I didn’t answer in this this Noom diet plan review, you can contact Noom via the Contact Form on their website
Explore your options for healthy meal delivery. View customized dishes for the family with Nurture Life.
Is your family a bunch of meat lovers? Check out ButcherBox for humanely raised beef, pork, and chicken delivered to your door.