Pela Case Review
Table of Contents
Pela wants our future world to be completely waste free. The brand’s founder Jeremy Lang witnessed firsthand the havoc plastic is wreaking on our oceans while on a family vacation in 2010.
After all of Lang’s tinkering, Pela’s signature material came onto the scene with the brand’s 2011 launch in Saskatoon.
Plant-based Flaxstic™ is used to make Pela’s eco friendly phone cases and accessories, and here’s the DL on this material: it’s a combination of flax straw waste, plant-based biopolymers, and recycled materials. The flax-infused biopolymers provide added texture and impact resistance, helping to protect your phone and the environment.
Pela donates 5% of their total sales to ocean conservation causes and they’ve already kept more than 313,528.6 pounds of plastic from being produced.
Pela’s audacious goal is to keep 1 billion pounds of plastic from ever being made. They’ve partnered up with Save the Waves Coalition, the Surfrider Foundation, and Oceana to save our oceans, and by extension, our planet.
The Pela Case survives most drops and fumbles, with a textured grip that makes them less slippery than most plastic cases. They’re shock absorbant, so according to Pela, your phone will bounce if you drop it.
There is a bit of a hitch: Pela hasn’t actually conducted any official drop tests to confirm this, but there are tons of reviews that attest to how well the case protects your phone from the average fall.
The Pela Case is the world’s first 100% biodegradable phone case and they’ve got accessories to go with their main act. My Pela Case review will tell you everything there is to know about the company and its products, so you can decide for yourself if they’re worth all the hype.
Why You Should Trust Us
Our mission is to help you make better, more informed purchase decisions.
Our team spends hours researching, consulting with medical experts, gathering insight from expert professionals, reviewing customer feedback, and analyzing products to provide you with the information you need.
Pros and Cons
I wanted to find out for myself if the brand really lives up to its promises. If you’re not up for reading the full Pela Case review, here’s a helpful breakdown:
- Environmental friendliness: One of the main advantages of the Pela case is its eco-friendly nature. It is made from sustainable materials and is compostable, which means it has a reduced impact on the environment compared to traditional plastic phone cases.
- Biodegradability: Pela cases are designed to break down over time when composted, reducing the amount of waste that ends up in landfills. This feature aligns with the principles of a circular economy and can contribute to a more sustainable future.
- Durability: Despite being compostable, Pela cases are designed to be durable and provide adequate protection for your phone. They can withstand everyday wear and tear, providing a reasonable level of impact resistance.
- Variety of designs: Pela offers a range of designs and colors for their cases, allowing users to personalize their phones while still making an eco-conscious choice.
- Limited protection: While Pela cases offer reasonable protection for everyday use, they may not provide the same level of shock absorption as some heavy-duty, non-compostable cases.
- Price: Pela cases are generally more expensive compared to conventional plastic cases. The use of sustainable and compostable materials, as well as the production process, contribute to the higher price point.
- Limited availability: Pela cases may not be as widely available as traditional phone cases. Depending on your location, you may have limited options for purchasing or trying out these cases in person.
- Maintenance: Pela cases can be more susceptible to staining and discoloration compared to plastic cases. The compostable materials used in their construction may require extra care to keep them looking clean and presentable.
Pela phone cases are known for their unique features and eco-friendly design. Here are some of the key features of Pela phone cases:
- Compostable Material: Pela phone cases are made from a proprietary material called Flaxstic®, which is a combination of plant-based biopolymers, flax straw waste, and recycled materials. This material allows the cases to fully break down in compost in less than six months, making them the world’s first fully compostable phone cases.
- Environmental Sustainability: Pela phone cases are designed to reduce plastic pollution. With over 1 billion plastic phone cases sold annually, Pela offers an environmentally friendly alternative by using sustainable and renewable materials in their production.
- Soft-Touch and Matte Finish: The Flaxstic® material used in Pela phone cases provides a soft-touch and velvety feel. The cases also feature a matte finish that gives them a sleek and stylish appearance.
- Durability and Protection: Despite being compostable, Pela phone cases are designed to offer adequate protection for your phone. Customers appreciate the durability and grip of the cases, and they are also easy to clean.
- Wide Range of Phone Models: Pela offers phone cases for various popular models, including iPhone, Samsung, Google, and limited Huawei devices. They provide different sizes and models to accommodate a wide range of smartphones.
- Positive Customer Reviews: Pela phone cases have received high praise from customers. They have garnered thousands of positive reviews and high ratings for their design, eco-friendliness, softness, durability, and overall look and feel.
- Happiness Guarantee: Pela offers a Happiness Guarantee policy, allowing returns and exchanges. They strive to ensure customer satisfaction and stand behind the quality of their products.
Pela phone cases are made from a unique material called Flaxstic®, which is a combination of compostable bioplastic elastomer and flax straw materials. Flax straw is a byproduct of flaxseed production, making it an eco-friendly resource. Here are some key points regarding the materials used in Pela phone cases:
- Compostable Bioplastic Elastomer: The bioplastic elastomer used in Pela cases is compostable, meaning it can break down naturally in composting environments. This material is designed to offer protection for your phone from drops and scratches, similar to traditional plastic cases.
- Flax Straw: Pela incorporates flax straw into their material composition. Flax straw is a sustainable byproduct of the flaxseed harvest, making it an environmentally friendly resource.
- Plant-Based and Renewable: Pela phone cases are predominantly made from plant-based materials. By utilizing compostable bioplastic elastomer and flax straw, Pela aims to provide an alternative to traditional plastic phone cases, which contribute to environmental pollution.
- Soft and Durable: The Flaxstic® material used in Pela phone cases offers a soft-touch feel and a matte finish, providing a comfortable grip while protecting your phone. Despite being compostable, the cases are designed to be durable and provide adequate phone protection.
Before we get into Pela Cases, you should know that their selection is designed for iPhone, Samsung, Google, and limited Huawei and devices. You’ll find all the models and sizes they accommodate later on in this Pela Case review.
Pela Phone Cases
Pela offers clear cases with a colored ridge, featuring a rigid back and impact-absorbing edges. This model is for the fumble fingers out there who want to safeguard their phone without all the bulkiness. Your phone will be protected from impacts and scratches with sleek and grippy surroundings.
Pela’s Clear Eco Friendly Cases are priced at $45 or $74 if you want to throw in a liquid screen protector. You can choose between 9 colors: black, cantaloupe, cherry, teal, lavender, mint, sky blue, grey, and yellow.
If you want to ramp up the color, you can go with their Green Eco-Friendly Phone Case in black, green, lavender, mint, rose quartz, grey, or white. The full back is slightly less expensive than the clear version at $40 or $69 with the liquid screen protector. This model provides a stronger grip, which you can see in the lighter textured pieces:
Pela Limited Edition Phone Cases
Lots of cool phone cases by Pela are offered for a limited time. They’ve got an Animal Collection including honey bees, koalas, whales, turtles, and shark skin.
The Bee Edition Case is their top seller and a portion of sales is donated to saving the honey bees! This alone makes them buzz worthy (sorry not sorry for the pun). This case is available in honey and black for $50 or $79 with a screen protector.
Pela has a handful of other limited edition cases designed in collaboration with their charity partners. One of my favorites is the Pela x Ocean ME to WE Ripple Effect Case with its zen waves design. This Pela case is available in turquoise or black for $43, or $72 with the screen protector.
For the star gazers out there who live by their signs, Pela has three Limited Edition Astrology Cases to choose from. You can get only the case for $43, or pay $72 to add on the liquid screen protector. The top-selling Retrograde Edition comes in cosmic blue, yellow, or cherry and has some sick otherworldly vibes:
Did you know that hemp is one of the most sustainable crops on the earth? I certainly did not. Pay homage to this super plant with the Hemp Eco-Friendly Case in black or moss green. Plus this is the least costly Pela Case out there for $40 (or $69 with the liquid screen protector).
Pela Card Holder
The Pela Card Holder accommodates two ID or credit cards without the extra bulk of a wallet. This wallet pocket sticks securely to the back of any Pela phone case. The Pela Card Holder comes in black, cantaloupe, cherry, teal, lavender, mint, sky blue, grey, and yellow for $20.
You can choose the same shade or mix and match like so:
Who Is Pela For?
Pela phone cases are designed for individuals who prioritize environmental sustainability and seek an eco-friendly alternative to traditional plastic phone cases. Here is a comprehensive answer based on the provided search results:
Pela phone cases are for:
- Environmentally Conscious Consumers: Pela phone cases are specifically created to address the environmental impact caused by the phone industry’s use of cheap and polluting plastics. They offer an alternative for individuals who are concerned about plastic waste and want to make more sustainable choices in their daily lives.
- Individuals Seeking Compostable Phone Cases: Pela phone cases are the world’s first fully compostable phone cases. They are made from compostable bioplastic elastomer and flax straw materials. These cases can break down naturally in composting environments in less than six months. Therefore, they are suitable for those who prioritize reducing waste and minimizing their ecological footprint.
- iPhone and Android Users: Pela offers phone cases for both iPhone and Android devices. Their range of cases includes models for various iPhone generations, such as iPhone 13 and iPhone 12. Pela phone cases are designed to provide high-quality protection for your phone while showcasing your personal style.
- Individuals Looking for Style Options: Pela offers a variety of colors, patterns, and illustrations in their phone case collection. This allows users to choose a case that aligns with their personal preferences and style, while still promoting sustainability.
Pela Case Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
For this Pela Case review, I wanted to see if the brand actually follows through with its promises. On the Pela website, every product has near perfect reviews (4 or 5/5 stars) as of May 2023.
Many customers went with Pela due to its eco-friendliness. They appreciated the softness, durability, and grip of the cases, and loved that they’re easy to clean. Customers have left over 26,000 reviews on the site, which is definitely encouraging.
On Trust Pilot, the brand has a 3.4/5-star score based on nearly 2,000 ratings. Here’s what one customer had to say that them:
“It’s obviously a rare occurrence when you’re impressed enough to recommend a phone case company! Pela make beautiful cases you don’t have to feel guilty about, and the most impressive thing I found was the texture – it makes it so much easier to hold your phone without it slipping, and it never feels sweaty or sticky.“
I dug deeper and ventured elsewhere on the web. Pela Case Amazon reviews were mixed, and those who rated the cases poorly expressed the belief that they had been given a knock-off version (make sure you verify the brand/seller!).
With a genuine product, you’re more likely to see a review that looks like this: “Love these Earth-friendly phone cases! I always buy them now when I get a new phone!”
Hallie Bradley of The Soul Of Seoul also had glowing reviews for Pela’s products. Here’s a snippet of her thoughts on the Limited Edition Phone Case:
“I purchased the Limited Edition Bee Case, which was in collaboration with artist Sarah Mitchell for $49.95. The honey gold color is super appealing, and I’ve had so many compliments on it as well as the engraved honeycomb and bee design on the back.“
All in all, it looks like there are a few gripes with the durability of the brand’s products because they aren’t meant to last forever and take up space in the ocean or in a landfill. If you can get past that, it seems like you’re in good company with the thousands of positive reviews for Pela.
Is Pela Worth It?
What should be mentioned in this Pela Case review is that it’s pretty much unheard of for a brand to have perfect ratings all over the web.
A huge majority of them are positive, and you’re not taking much of a risk by ordering a case or accessory, and here’s why:
Pela allows returns and exchanges through their Happiness Guarantee policy (more on this in the FAQ section of this Pela Case review). The main advantage of Pela is that its customers contribute to the health of our planet, so if that’s important to you (it better be), I think this brand is definitely one to try out.
Pela Case Promotions & Discounts
You won’t find a Pela Case discount code right now, but they have an ongoing BOGO deal:
BOGO – Buy 1 Case, Get 1 Case Free
Pela has a buy 1 case, get another case free. They encourage customers to wash their cases, since phones host a lot of germs, bacteria, etc. Pela gives you a second case free so that you can always have a clean case on your phone.
Case + Screen Protector Combo
According to Pela’s website, 87% of customers choose this option for the extra savings. Selecting this combo amounts to paying $32 less compared to buying the products by themselves.
Where To Buy Pela
Pela cases and accessories can be purchased through:
- Their online store: pelacase.com and REI Co-Op online
- Select Vodaphone, BestBuy, Target, retail stores in Canada
Phones are expensive, so it makes sense that you’d want to protect yours. Here are a few more options to consider:
- Nimble: Nimble offers a range of sustainable phone cases made from recycled plastic bottles, plant-based materials, and other eco-friendly materials. Their products are designed to be durable and protective while minimizing environmental impact.
- Incipio Organicore: Incipio Organicore produces phone cases made from plant-based materials and recycled plastics. Their cases provide impact resistance and protection while being biodegradable and compostable.
- Caseology Parallax: Caseology offers a range of phone cases, including some made from eco-friendly materials. Their Parallax series features cases with a dual-layer design for added protection, and they also provide options with biodegradable elements.
- PELAOS: PELAOS is another brand that specializes in eco-friendly phone cases. Their cases are made from plant-based materials and are fully biodegradable and compostable.
- Otterbox Elevation Series: Otterbox, known for its rugged and protective phone cases, has introduced the Elevation Series, which includes cases made from sustainable and recycled materials. These cases provide excellent protection while reducing environmental impact.
Will the Biodegradable Case Break Down With Use?
The answer is no! You can also get your Pela Case wet, and washing is encouraged. Pela products only break down if they are placed in compostable material.
What Happens if Your Phone Breaks While in a Pela Case?
While doing my research for this Pela Case review, I found that the company does not guarantee your phone will not break. If your phone does break, they are not liable for the damages.
On the other hand, if your front screen cracks while using a Pela Case, they offer a Screen Protection Guarantee for Pela Cases purchased after April 1, 2018. To qualify for this, you must:
- Have purchased and applied the liquid screen protector after January 1, 2019
- Have purchased a Pela Case from their website or a verified retailer, plus provide a receipt
- Have an unscratched or uncracked screen prior to purchasing a Pela Case
Provided these conditions are met, Pela will refund you up to $200 for your screen repair. Note that Pela only repairs 1 screen per device per customer and the Screen Protection Guarantee covers only the front phone screen.
Pela Case Sizes/Models
Pela Cases are designed for the following Apple, Samsung, Google, and Huawei devices:
- iPhone SE, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11, iPhone XR, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone X, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 8, iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy A50, Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S10+, Samsung Galaxy S10e, Samsung Note 9, Samsung Galaxy S9, Samsung S9 Plus, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Samsung S8
- Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4XL, Google Pixel 3a, Google Pixel 3, Google Pixel 3XL, Google Pixel 2, Google Pixel 2XL
- Huawei P30 Pro, Huawei P30, Huawei P20 Lite
Pela Case Shipping Policy
Pela ships cases with as minimal packaging as possible, and each case arrives in a small brown envelope with a personalized note card (pretty cute). They have two standard shipping options available globally:
- Free shipping: most sustainable and lowest carbon footprint (exception: orders under $25 are charged a flat rate)
- Faster shipping: includes tracking and a quicker shipping time
Both shipping methods include a 24-48 hold for processing, and tracking is dependent on the country. Orders outside the USA may be subject to customs & duties.
Shipping times vary by country/geographical area, not including processing time:
|Free Shipping||5-7 business days||10-14 business days||5-7 business days||14-21 business days|
|Faster Shipping||3-5 business daysTwo-Day Shipping: 2 business days||5-7 business days||3-5 business days||10-14 business days|
Countries excluded from free shipping: India, China, Colombia, Mexico, United Arab Emirates, Russia, Peru, Kazakhstan, Aland Islands, Faroe Islands, Guadeloupe, North Macedonia Vatican City.
Pela Case Return Policy
Pela has a Happiness Guarantee policy. If you’re not 100% satisfied with your Pela Case or it arrives with defects, contact [email protected] within 90 days of purchase for a full refund. Customers are responsible for the cost of return shipping.
How to contact Pela
If you have questions beyond this Pela Case review, you can speak to their team members via:
- Pela Head Office: 604-460 Doyle Avenue Kelowna, British Columbia V1Y 0C2 Canada
- Send an email to [email protected]
Check out our review on top-selling Ridge wallets, card holders, and phone cases.
Looking to buy or sell your used tech? Gazelle may be the service for you.