In partnership with Petivity
Table of Contents
Imagine how much better life would be if you could speak with your pets. You can ask them about their day, their plans for the weekend, and why they keep crawling onto your laptop while you work. The other added benefit is that you could better care for them since they could tell you if they’re sick.
One look at the stats for the most common pet health conditions in the US shows that they’re nearly all issues that we can see. However, cats can still suffer from diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and other illnesses without visual cues. That’s partially why Purina, one of the largest pet brands in the US, created the Petivity Smart Litter Box Monitor.
Think of it as a translator between yourself and your cat. The monitor can tell you about trends in their weight, subtle changes in frequency which may imply health issues, how much time they spend goingpotty, and more. It can even distinguish between cats if you have more than one furry friend.
Now, is all this too good to be true? I’ll allow you to decide for yourself with the information in my Petivity review. Read on to learn how the monitor works, its noteworthy features, how much it costs, and what customers think about it. First things first, let’s talk about its highlights.
- Provides insights into your cat’s health by tracking weight, bathroom habits, and waste type.
- Notifies you of any deviations from your cat’s normal behavior.
- Offers helpful tips and insights to address changes in behavior.
- Recognizes multiple cats and keeps their data separate.
- Easy-to-read color-coded comparison to past data.
- No flashing lights or sounds that could disturb your cat.
- Can be useful for cats with health issues or those needing weight management.
- The product comes with a 1-year warranty and a 90-day 100% satisfaction guarantee
Why You Should Trust Us
Our mission is to help you make better, more informed purchase decisions.
Our team spends hours researching, consulting with medical experts, gathering insight from expert professionals, reviewing customer feedback, and analyzing products to provide you with the information you need.
How It Works
You might be startled to read this, but the Petivity Smart Litter Box Monitor isn’t actually a litter box. Indeed, you wouldn’t want your cat to conduct their business right on top of it. What it is, however, is a monitor that you place beneath a litter box. The scale connects to the Petivity app (available for iOS and Android devices) and collects data for the app to interpret.
There’s some training involved with the monitor. For the first week, you’ll have to check the alerts the app sends you. Since it records cats by weight, you must confirm which cat was on the scale at the time of the event. If you only have one cat this isn’t much of an issue, but you’ll have to be more vigilant if you have multiple.
After the Petivity Smart Litter Box Monitor becomes accustomed to your cat, it’ll send you daily readings about their weight, regularity, favorite litter box, and even whether it goes number one or number two.
If it senses any red flags, like quick changes to your cat’s weight or drastic alterations in their waste, the app will give you a heads-up that you might need to take them to the vet. Not only is this faster than doing your own detective work, but it means you don’t have to rummage through your cat’s droppings to figure out the issue.
There are some limitations to Petivity’s function. It doesn’t work with automatic litter boxes, and it must have at least one inch of space around all its sides.
The main feature of the Petivity monitor is how it can better help you understand your cat. It does so by telling you about your cat’s normal state – based on various health markers – so you can see if they’re healthy. The four main findings it records are:
- Your cat’s weight
- Their potty frequency
- What type of waste they leave
- The time of day that they use the toilet
If the Petivity app notices changes in any of these records, it’ll notify you. The Petivity team developed an AI model that pulls from thousands of recorded cat behaviors. As such, it’s a reliable tool to predict if something is up with your cat’s health.
The app can also give you helpful tips and insights to explain your cat’s change in behavior or tactics you can implement to improve their health. This can end up saving you a trip to the vet if you notice your cat is a little off but not unbearably unhealthy.
Cat moms will be delighted to read this – the Petivity Smart Litter Box Monitor can recognize multiple cats and keeps their data separate from one another. It doesn’t compare cats against one another. Rather, it compares them to their data over the past few weeks but does so in an easy-to-read color-coded manner.
In this section of my Petivity review, I’ll go over the specifications of the product.
It measures 19” x 14” x 2” and the brand suggests that the litter box you place on top of it does not exceed 21” x 16”. This is so the device can provide accurate readings without the box falling off the edges.
Another important detail is that the Petivity Smart Litter Box Monitor does not contain any flashing lights or create any sounds. This may seem minor, but these small disturbances could deter your cat from using the litter box, an unintended consequence that would both make the monitor useless and leave you with more unkempt cat poop than you ever wanted.
On a similar note, the monitor uses a power cord or AA batteries. Using batteries gives you more freedom with where you place it and means your kittens will have fewer cords to play around with and potentially damage.
What’s in the Box
Each order of the Pevitity Smart Litter Box Monitor comes with the following:
- 1 Monitor
- 1 Power cord
- 6 AA batteries
- Access to the Petivity App
- 1-Year Limited Warranty
- Access to the official Petivity Facebook community
All that the order includes is available for $200.
Who Is Petivity For?
Petivity is for all cat owners, but especially helpful for those whose pets are susceptible to health issues. For example, if your cat regularly has stomach issues or changes their bathroom schedule for undisclosed reasons, it’s worth picking up the Petivity scale to see what’s up.
Additionally, the monitor is perfect for pet owners whose cats need to lose or gain weight for their health. Seeing as how cats are so small and light, it can be hard to track their progress on a daily or weekly scale. The Petivity Smart Litter Box Monitor checks their weight every day, so you shouldn’t ever miss out on their progress.
Petivity Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
As of August 2023, there are a few websites with customer Petivity reviews. There’s not a huge amount, but there are enough to gather an idea of average customer reception. Here are some aggregated scores:
- Chewy: 4.8/5 stars based on more than 25 pieces of customer feedback
- Petivity: 4.5/5 stars based on more than 75 pieces of customer feedback
- Petsmart: 4.5/5 stars based on more than 40 pieces of customer feedback
- Amazon: 4/5 stars based on more than 15 pieces of customer feedback
You don’t need to pull out a calculator to see that most folks liked the Petivity monitor. They described it as simple and effortless as the setup took little-to-no time at all and, once it got up and running, it worked exactly as advertised.
One customer wrote, “It helps me monitor for issues, which gives me peace of mind. The device itself is lightweight, doesn’t take up extra room, simple to set up and I was able to use it with my existing litter box. The app is easy to navigate, doesn’t take up much room on my phone and after helping it learn for a few days, the A.I. was able to take over and differentiate between my two cats.”
Another interesting use for the monitor comes from a satisfied shopper on Amazon. “Also, my cat likes going outside and sometimes I don’t know where she is and I can use this litterbox to see when she used the box last to see if she has been inside recently or maybe out in the back yard. Great product. I highly recommend for cat lovers that want better insights to your cats health.”
Certain Petivity review writers praised the device for its stress-free maintenance. There weren’t any testimonials that said the monitor was unnecessarily complex or confusing. To most shoppers, it was so simple that even their cat could do it.
“I appreciated the ease of setup and clear directions. Everything is right on your phone , through the free app, and intuitive. My Monitor is still in training mode; creating unique profiles for my three indoor cats. I like that it sends alerts/events to my phone with weight, events, and non-event visits. It even reminds you to clean the litter box,“ commented one user.
The only complaints from customers were that they received more than a few non-cat alerts on their phones. This can come from someone bumping into the litter box or any other incident. Other users said that while the information was handy, it was as in-depth as they would’ve liked.
And, for those reading my Petivity review who think their cats won’t like the device, fear not. Most customers said their cats adapted to the Petivity monitor quickly, even if they didn’t usually like change.
One customer wrote about the subject in their review on Amazon, saying, “Setup for the scale and app was very easy and straightforward right out of the box! Our cat has always had issues with other smart additions to her litter box, but this is simple enough that she isn’t scared of it and we can still monitor her health.”
Is Petivity Legit?
Since the device is just a monitor at the end of the day, there’s no reason to believe it’s shady. Petivity isn’t promising to cure feline cancer, only to help the customer obtain a better idea of their cat’s health. As such, the product is legit to me and most customers.
Is Petivity Worth It?
Overall, Petivity’s monitor has some use, especially if you’re worried about your cat’s health. It’s a device you’d want to pick up early in your cat’s life so that you have as much information about them as possible if they ever get sick.
How To Choose The Best Litter Box
Even though the Petivity Smart Litter Box Monitor isn’t actually a litter box, it’s still important to pick the best one for your feline pal. Nobody likes doing their business in a box. A good litter box may even help Petivity’s device. So, to help you pick the best litter box, here are some aspects you should keep in mind.
- Size Matters: Choose a litter box that provides ample space for your cat to move around comfortably. Cats should be able to turn around and dig without feeling cramped.
- Litter Box Height: Consider your cat’s age and mobility. Senior or arthritic cats might find it easier to enter a box with lower sides.
- Number of Cats: If you have multiple cats, it’s recommended to have one litter box per cat, plus an extra. Some cats are territorial and might not share well.
- Litter Box Material: Opt for easy-to-clean materials. Plastic is common, but some cats prefer non-stick surfaces.
- Litter Box Depth: A litter box with deep sides can help prevent litter from being kicked out.
- Litter Box Entry: Ensure the entry is easy for your cat to navigate. If you have kittens or senior cats, a lower entry might be better.
- Odor Control: Some litter boxes come with built-in odor control features. Additionally, consider using odor-absorbing litter.
- Easy Cleaning: Look for boxes with smooth surfaces and minimal crevices where waste can accumulate. Some litter boxes have removable liners or built-in sifters for easier cleaning.
- Durability: Invest in a litter box that can withstand regular use and won’t break easily.
- Cater to Your Cat’s Preferences: Some cats have preferences for certain types of litter or box styles. Observe your cat’s behavior and preferences to choose accordingly.
- Gradual Transition: If changing to a new litter box, place it alongside the old one to allow your cat to get used to it.
Of course, there are plenty of litter box types to choose from, including the following:
- Standard Open Box: This is the most common type, with low sides. It’s suitable for most cats and is easy to clean.
- Covered Box: These have a hood that provides privacy and contains odors. Some cats prefer the privacy, but others might feel confined.
- Top-Entry Box: These have an opening on top, reducing litter tracking and offering privacy. They’re a good choice if your cat likes to kick litter.
- Self-Cleaning Box: These automate the cleaning process, but some cats might be startled by the noise or motion.
Petivity Promotions & Discounts
If you’re interested in the Petivity Smart Litter Box Monitor, they are are now running a Fall Sale, so you can get one for $149.99.
Where To Buy Petivity
Besides www.petivity.com, you can purchase the Smart Litter Box Monitor on Amazon, Chewy, or at Petsmart.
Who owns Petivity?
Petivity is owned by Purina, which itself is owned by Nestle.
What is Petivity’s Returns Policy?
Petivity offers customers a 90-day window in which they’ll accept returns under the 100% satisfaction guarantee. The product must be returned in good condition with all the accessories included.
How To Contact Petivity
If you have any more questions after finishing my Petivity review, contact the brand for more information. You can reach them by calling 866-979-2477 or filling out a customer support form on their website.
Next, check out other related reviews that you might also like: