Rimowa Luggage Review
Table of Contents
About Rimowa Luggage
Travel has always been a big part of my life. From vacations to university to visiting family, I know my way around a fair share of airports.
Here’s what I’ve learned on my journeys: Good luggage is integral to a seamless trip. That’s why Rimowa offers durable, hard-wearing travel essentials.
Best known for its iconic aluminum suitcases, the brand also offers lightweight polycarbonate versions, functional bags, and packing accessories for happy, easy travels.
A look, I read, was modeled after the world’s first all-metal aircraft1. Today, Rimowa luggage wants to improve the way you travel. Its mission has always been to transform our travel experiences, and that’s why it offers such a wide range of luggage.
I know it’s a well-loved brand, but does it really provide the perfect travel companions? In this Rimowa luggage review, I plan to find out. Ahead, I’ll take an in-depth look at the company, its bestsellers, customer feedback, features, materials, and more, to see if it’s worth bringing on your next adventure.
Why You Should Trust Us
Our mission is to help you make better, more informed purchase decisions.
Our team spends hours researching, consulting with medical experts, gathering insight from expert professionals, reviewing customer feedback, and analyzing products to provide you with the information you need.
Pros and Cons
Ready to get rolling? Now that you know a little more about the history of the company, up next in this Rimowa luggage review, I’ll cover its pros and cons:
- Durability: Rimowa luggage is known for its durability and is made from high-quality materials that can withstand rough handling and travel conditions.
- Lightweight: Rimowa luggage is typically lightweight, making it easy to carry or lift.
- Stylish design: Rimowa’s distinct design is both stylish and recognizable, making it a popular choice for travelers who value aesthetics.
- Smooth maneuverability: Rimowa’s multi-wheel system and integrated handles make it easy to move around in airports, train stations, or other travel locations.
- Customization options: Rimowa offers a range of customization options, such as personalized monogramming or color choices, that allow you to create a unique piece of luggage.
- High Cost: Rimowa luggage can be expensive, making it less accessible to budget-conscious travelers.
- Limited Size Options: Rimowa offers a limited range of luggage sizes, which may not be suitable for all types of travel.
- Limited Capacity: Some Rimowa models have limited capacity due to the rigid nature of the luggage’s construction.
- Heavyweight models: Rimowa’s heavier models made from aluminum can be cumbersome to lift or carry.
- Vulnerable to Scratches: Some Rimowa finishes can be prone to scratches and may require extra care to maintain their appearance.
Rimowa uses a variety of materials in the construction of their luggage. Here are some of the most common materials used by the brand:
- Polycarbonate: Rimowa’s polycarbonate luggage is known for its lightweight and durable construction. It is also scratch-resistant and comes in a variety of colors.
- Aluminum: Rimowa’s aluminum luggage is known for its distinctive appearance and durability. It is often used for Rimowa’s premium luggage lines.
- Carbon fiber: Rimowa’s carbon fiber luggage is extremely lightweight and durable, making it an excellent choice for frequent travelers.
- Leather: Rimowa uses high-quality leather for some of its luggage lines, which adds a luxurious feel to the luggage.
- Ballistic nylon: Rimowa’s ballistic nylon luggage is durable and water-resistant, making it an excellent choice for outdoor and adventure travel.
- Polypropylene: Rimowa’s polypropylene luggage is lightweight and durable, making it an affordable and practical option for budget-conscious travelers.
Overall, Rimowa’s use of high-quality materials ensures that their luggage is built to last and can withstand the rigors of travel.
Rimowa is a luxury luggage brand that is known for its distinctive design and high-quality materials. Here are some of the features that are commonly found in Rimowa luggage:
- Lightweight and durable materials: Rimowa luggage is typically made from lightweight and durable materials such as aluminum, polycarbonate, and carbon fiber.
- Multi-wheel system: Most Rimowa luggage features a multi-wheel system that makes it easy to maneuver and transport.
- TSA-approved locks: Rimowa luggage often comes with TSA-approved locks that can be opened by security officials without damaging the luggage.
- Integrated handles: Rimowa luggage typically features integrated handles that make it easy to carry or lift the luggage.
- Interior compartments: Rimowa luggage often has several interior compartments and dividers that help keep your belongings organized.
- Expandable capacity: Some Rimowa luggage models feature an expandable design that allows you to increase the storage capacity of the luggage.
- Scratch-resistant finishes: Rimowa luggage is often finished with scratch-resistant coatings or textures that help protect the luggage from damage.
- Customizable features: Rimowa offers a range of customizable features, such as personalized monogramming or color options, that allow you to create a truly unique piece of luggage.
Next, I’ll get into the brand’s best-selling collection. A mix of aluminum and polycarbonate suitcases, these bags are ready to hit the road. Are you?
5 Bestselling Rimowa Suitcases
After dragging suitcases through the airport and worrying about breakables for years, I came to know that a quality, easy-to-maneuver suitcase can make traveling easier.
With a range of diverse options varying in weight, size, and material, Rimowa’s collection shines bright with brilliant gloss and matte finishes.
Will you find something you love? There’s only one way to find out, so keep reading this Rimowa luggage review. You’ll find its bestsellers below.
Rimowa Original Cabin Review
Waiting for luggage has been the bane of my existence on more than one occasion. Losing luggage2? Well, that’s why I now only travel with a carry-on if possible.
Helping you save money on baggage fees and keeping your belongings by your side, the list of perks that carry-ons bring really does go on and on.
Although originally, I thought it looked heavy, I learned that this suitcase is made from high-quality aluminum.
Ultra-durable and lightweight—you’ll be surprised at how easy it is to lift into the overhead bin.
There are seven colors to choose from, including muted classics like Rimowa off-white or vibrant hues like cobalt blue. Have more to bring?
Rimowa Original Cabin Plus Review
Though I live in the same leggings and tee, somehow I think I’ll need 42 outfits to travel with. If you’re anything like me, the Original Cabin Plus will give you the extra space you need.
Measuring 23” x 18” x 10”, the company recommends this size for four-day-long adventures—a long weekend in Hawaii, perhaps?
Daydreams aside, the Original Cabin Plus is durable yet lightweight like all of its other bags. Weighing in at just over 10lbs, you won’t feel like you’re getting a workout as you lift it into the overhead.
Available in golden titanium, classic black, and high-tech silver, it’s made the ultra-durable aluminum the brand is so loved for. Get the Rimowa Cabin Plus for $1,170.
Rimowa Classic Cabin Review
I remember it clearly. Looking out the plane’s window after boarding, I witnessed the luggage handler hurling my suitcase into the plane’s cargo hold. Right then and there, I vowed to get myself a hard-shell suitcase and never check a bag again.
If you’ve ever dreaded the thought of your precious luggage being “handled” or rolling around in a plane’s cargo hold, a carry-on is a must. The Classic Cabin keeps your goodies close and protected.
With a luxury look, it’s high-flying when it comes to performance too. It would be ideal for a business trip, measuring 22” x 16” x 9” inches and 9.5lbs—a breeze to lift overhead bins of any standard plane.
With two sleek color options to choose from, including Silver and Black, the Classic Cabin is made from high-end Anodized Aluminum Alloy for long-lasting durability.
Other key features worth mentioning include riveted aluminum corners for added reinforcement and hand-made leather handles for added carrying comfort.
The sturdy Classic Cabin suitcase retails for $1,100.
Rimowa Hybrid Cabin Review
Turbulence happens—in life and most certainly on a plane. While it’s scary in the moment, it passes. Then you get to baggage claim.
I’ve welcomed a few of my fabric bags back with dirt and dinged edges and I can’t help but picture them flying around the cargo hold with wild abandon.
Whether or not this actually happens, suitcases—and the items inside them—can get pretty knocked up in travel.
The Hybrid Cabin gets its durability from polycarbonate but its solidness from Aluminum, a mix that makes this hard-shell suitcase an intelligent choice for those traveling with precious cargo.
Recommended for short business trips, this suitcase measures 22” x 16” x 10” and weighs 8.4lbs. Thanks to the included packing dividers, rest easy knowing your work attire will stay neatly pressed.
Available in three colors, the Hybrid Cabin retails for $800.
Rimowa Hybrid Cabin S Review
While some airlines have a great reputation for keeping luggage safe, others are notorious for losing it. Trust me, I’ve stood in the lost baggage lines to prove it.
I won’t be petty and name names in this Rimowa luggage review, when really, I learned my lesson and switched to carry-on.
With not just one, but two TSA-approved locks, the Rimowa Hybrid Cabin S measures 22” x 16” x 8” and is 8.2lb.
Keeping your luggage safe and sound from loss and thieves, this hard-shell case is a looker too.
Available in matte navy, matte black, and silver gloss, the $800 Hybrid Cabin S is ideal for two-day trips.
Who Is Rimowa For?
Rimowa is a luxury luggage brand that is designed for travelers who value quality, durability, and style. The brand’s distinctive design, high-quality materials, and attention to detail make it a popular choice for frequent travelers, business travelers, and luxury-minded individuals.
Rimowa luggage is often seen as a status symbol and is favored by celebrities, fashion icons, and other high-profile individuals. However, Rimowa is not limited to a specific demographic and can be used by anyone who values quality and style in their luggage.
Rimowa offers a range of luggage sizes, styles, and customization options, making it suitable for various travel needs and preferences. Ultimately, Rimowa is for anyone who is willing to invest in a high-quality piece of luggage that will last for years and make a statement wherever they go.
Who I wouldn’t recommend Rimowa to
Rimowa may not be a suitable option for everyone, depending on their travel needs, preferences, and budget. Here are some situations where the brand may not be the best choice:
- Budget-conscious travelers: Rimowa is a luxury luggage brand and can be quite expensive. It may not be a practical choice for travelers on a tight budget.
- Travelers who prioritize lightweight luggage: While Rimowa’s polycarbonate and carbon fiber luggage options are lightweight, some of the brand’s aluminum models can be heavy, making them less suitable for travelers who prioritize lightweight luggage.
- Travelers who need large luggage capacity: Rimowa’s luggage sizes are limited, and some models have a rigid construction that may not allow for much expansion. For travelers who need a lot of packing space, other luggage brands may offer more options.
- Travelers who prefer soft-sided luggage: Rimowa specializes in hard-sided luggage, and travelers who prefer soft-sided luggage may not find the brand’s offerings suitable for their needs.
- Travelers who prioritize organizational features: While Rimowa luggage often features interior compartments and dividers, some travelers may prefer luggage with more organizational features, such as exterior pockets or removable pouches.
Rimowa Luggage Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
It’s hard not to be blown away by its products, but still, I want to know what customers think.
In this part of my Rimowa luggage review, I turned to testimonials on The Points Guy, Expert World Travel, and TrustPilot to see how these luxurious yet functional suitcases hold up.
Frequent traveler, mother, and writer at The Points Guy Summer Hull tested the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Cabin Multiwheel IATA. After previously trying multiple carry-on-sized suitcases that just didn’t hold up, she decided to splurge on Rimowa’s sleek design.
The result? Summer reveals that this luggage has held up for over 400k miles of travel over the last 6 years.
Aside from still being in great shape, I read that one of the things she likes best about the Rimowa Salsa carry-on bag is that “the four-wheel design makes it so easy to maneuver I could push it around with my pinky finger…on smooth surfaces.”
With that said, not all surfaces are smooth, and “the trade-off is that on bumpier terrain, such as concrete or cobblestone streets, it isn’t as easy to pull.” Still, she readily recommends this option for any frequent traveler.
While I think it might be, the writers behind Expert World Travel set out to decide if the Rimowa Topas suitcase was worth the high price tag.
What they found most useful was the two inner dividers: “the inside of this suitcase just oozes luxury. The fact that both compartments can be secured with a divider is a huge plus for me, and they make the Topas look more elegant.”
Landing on Trustpilot, I saw that the brand has an overall score of 4.3/5 stars from 222 ratings. One Rimowa luggage review read:
“Great experience and the quality of the luggage I bought is unparalleled. It is the best trolley I ever had (I tried most other top brands for luggage).”
Ultimately, I found these reviews point to one conclusion. Rimowa luggage is durable, looks great, and has helpful features.
If you can afford to easily spend upwards of $600 on a luxury suitcase, Rimowa offers sleek and impressive-looking designs.
Is Rimowa Worth It?
If you’re still wondering is Rimowa worth it? I’ll tell it to you straight: YES.
I think the brand’s suitcases are worth the buy if you travel frequently, love high-tech design, and have the money to spend on luxury goods.
The company also does cool collaborations with other high-end brands.
For example, it previously launched the Supreme Rimowa collection, which included a number of eye-catching designs. I’m a sucker for a good collab as it brings fresh life to a tried-and-true product.
More so, I appreciate how passionate Rimowa is about transforming the way we travel.
Flying can be stressful, and a product that makes that easier is definitely worth it for me. I mean, check out this list of features you’ll find in every Rimowa suitcase:
- Dividers to keep your belongings safe and organized
- TSA-approved locks for easy opening during security checks
- 360-degree wheels to push or pull your bag in any direction
- A hard, durable outer shell
- Splash-proof to protect your belongings from rain or spillage
- Telescoping handle for easy maneuvering
Not all Rimowa luggage reviews sided with the brand, but I can say with confidence that though they may take on scratches, the body of these bags is hard to beat. I also take comfort in the brand’s five-year guarantee and free returns policy.
If you travel often, want an impressive-looking suitcase, and have the money to spend, I think Rimowa essentials are certainly worth the buy.
If you’re shopping around to find the perfect luggage for your next getaway and you’re not sold on Rimowa, take a look at these brands for more options:
- Monos: Amajor luxury brand that sells elite travel luggage. Practical to keep you organized on unexpected airport runs, its catalog of carry-ons and check-in luggage is durable to last through a lifetime of family vacations.
- Lipault: Lipault’s suitcases, backpacks, and cross-body bags are as fashion-forward as they are reliable. The Parisian brand creates for the modern fashionista who considers every part of their outfit.
- July Luggage: Founded in 2019, this Australian-based company reinvents the classic luggage design to be more thoughtful, versatile, and stylish
Rimowa Promotions & Discounts
While I didn’t find any current Rimowa sales on the brand’s site, I did learn that it occasionally offers sales like the Rimowa Black Friday event.
For the most up-to-date information, I’ve found it valuable to sign up for the newsletter.
Where To Buy Rimowa
Looking for the best selection? Shop directly at Rimowa.com. If you’d rather see its luggage in person, the company also has in-store locations and Rimowa outlets.
To find the shop closest to you, visit the Store Locations page on its website.
Some of the brand’s older designs, such as the Rimowa Bolero suitcase, can be found through one of Rimowa’s authorized sellers like Nordstrom and Holt Renfrew.
How durable is Rimowa?
According to an article by Conde Nast Traveller, I read that Rimowa’s aluminum suitcases are so durable that they have survived plane crashes and war zones.
I don’t think I can argue with that. Each travel essential is crafted from ultra-durable anodized aluminum to ensure that it lasts.
What is Rimowa’s Shipping Policy?
For US customers, Rimowa orders are processed within 1 business day. They offer free ground or express shipping options for all 50 states. Shipping rates and times are listed below:
- Ground (3-5 business days): free for orders over $300
- Express (1 business day): $50
When shipped, Rimowa will send you a shipping confirmation email containing a tracking number.
Once delivered, I found that Rimowa orders require a signature, so be sure to be home on the day your order is to arrive.
For international deliveries, select your country from the drop-down menu at the top of the website. Your shipping cost depends on where you live, so it will be calculated at checkout.
What is Rimowa’s Return Policy?
I love when brands offer free returns. You can return your complete, unused, and undamaged Rimowa merchandise within 30 days of delivery for a full refund by printing off a prepaid label.
For Limited Edition products, you have 14 days to start your return for a full refund.
To start a return, you’ll need to access your Rimowa account and start the process there.
If approved, you will receive a shipping label to attach to the outside of your return package. Need some help? You can also start a return by contacting their client care team.
How To Contact Rimowa
If you have any other questions after reading this Rimowa luggage review, you can reach out to the brand’s client care team through the following methods of contact:
- Fill out the Contact Form on their website
- Phone: (312) 635-6607
Not sold on Rimowa? Check out a few other brands for other options: