Vionic Shoes Review
Table of Contents
Vionic Shoes produces stylish-driven, supportive footwear for men and women that deliver the brand’s signature Three-Zone Comfort for all-day wear.
It was founded in 1979 by Phillip Vasyli, a veteran Australian podiatrist who desired to create a low-cost method of relieving pain for the many people who suffer from common orthotic ailments.
His invention of heat-moldable insoles was the inspiration for the brand’s product line, which balances Three-Zone Comfort stability, cushioning and “ultimate arch support,” with style.
Originally named Orthaheel, after the in-shoe support technology devised by Vasyli (now known as Vio-Motion™ technology), the company relocated to the US from Australia in 2008.
Six years later, seeking a fresher and more futuristic-sounding moniker, it rebranded as Vionic—offering seasonal footwear collections of all-occasion modern classics and fresh trends that have supportive technology built in.
The signature contoured design of Vionic shoes and sandals provides maximum support for the heel, arch, and ball of the foot, distributing weight evenly and offering relief for a range of common orthopedic conditions, such as plantar fasciitis.
The brand maintains a scientific advisory board of podiatric specialists, sports medicine experts, and more to guide its ongoing research and development.
My Vionic Shoes review will give you the rundown on the brand, its best-selling products, customer reviews, promotions and discounts, and more to help you decide if this footwear is your best bet for calming down your barkin’ dogs.
Why You Should Trust Us
Our mission is to help you make better, more informed purchase decisions. Our team spends hours researching, consulting with medical experts, gathering insight from expert professionals, reviewing customer feedback, and analyzing products to provide you with the information you need.
Pros & Cons
That’s the big picture—now, it’s time to get down to details. But before I step further into this Vionic Shoes review, let’s take a look at some of the brand’s most notable pros and cons:
- Comfort and Support: Vionic Shoes are known for their comfort and supportive features. They incorporate orthotic footbeds that offer stability, cushioning, and arch support, which can be beneficial for individuals who struggle with painful conditions.
- Orthotic Technology: Vionic Shoes are designed with orthotic technology that adapts to the natural alignment of your feet. This unique feature can provide additional support and promote proper foot positioning.
- Pain Relief: Vionic Shoes are specifically designed to help alleviate and prevent foot pain. The orthotic support and cushioning they offer can be beneficial for individuals dealing with various foot conditions or discomfort.
- Stylish Designs: Vionic Shoes not only prioritize comfort but also offer fashionable styles. This combination of comfort and style makes them appealing to those who want to look good while taking care of their feet.
- Positive Customer Reviews: Vionic Shoes generally receive positive feedback from customers. Many individuals have reported satisfaction with the brand’s products.
- Fit Issues: Some customers have experienced fit problems with Vionic Shoes. It is important to ensure the proper fit, especially when purchasing online, as variations in shoe sizing can occur.
When it comes to footwear, there’s no sense in sacrificing comfort for style—or vice versa. Vionic sneakers, sandals, and even slippers are not only attractively designed but also biomechanically engineered (based on the scientific study of human movement) to keep your feet feeling fabulous.
Below, my Vionic Shoes review will spotlight some of the brand’s best-selling items from all these categories and more. But first, let’s get a bird’s eye view of their features:
- Three-Zone Comfort: Vionic Shoes are designed with the brand’s signature Three-Zone Comfort system. This feature aims to provide stability, cushioning, and ultimate arch support, taking into account the heel, arch, and ball of the foot. The footbed technology is engineered to improve alignment and alleviate foot-related ailments.
- Orthotic Technology: Vionic Shoes incorporate orthotic technology, which helps support natural alignment. The shoes are designed with contours that are seamlessly engineered into each pair, providing stability and addictive support. This orthotic technology can contribute to better weight distribution and improved foot positioning.
- Removable Insoles: Some Vionic Shoes feature removable insoles. This allows for customization and the option to use orthotic inserts if desired.
- Arch Support: Vionic Shoes are known for providing substantial arch support. The shoes are designed to reinforce the arch and alleviate pressure on the feet, contributing to overall comfort and stability.
- Deep Heel Cup: Vionic sandals, slippers, active shoes, and casual shoes often include a deep heel cup. This feature augments stability and helps to properly align the foot within the shoe.
- Elevated Heel-to-Toe Transition: Vionic Men’s walkers, for example, have an elevated heel-to-toe transition for a smooth gait. This design feature aims to provide a comfortable and natural stride.
- Durable Outsole: Vionic Shoes often come with a durable rubber outsole. This type of outsole provides traction and helps to enhance the longevity of the shoes.
- Supportive Footbed: Vionic Shoes typically feature a supportive footbed, often made with cushioning EVA material. This provides additional comfort and impact absorption.
Vionic Shoes are made from a variety of materials that prioritize quality, comfort, and sustainability:
- Durable Leather: Vionic Shoes are made with high-quality, durable leather. This material provides strength, flexibility, and long-lasting wear.
- Soft Suede: Some Vionic Shoes incorporate soft suede, which adds a luxurious and comfortable feel to the footwear.
- Ethyl Vinyl Acetate (EVA): Vionic insoles and sandals often feature EVA, a flexible material known for its supportive and shock-absorbing properties. EVA provides cushioning and helps distribute weight, reducing the impact on the feet, ankles, knees, hips, and back.
- Sustainable Materials: Vionic has a commitment to sustainability and incorporates sustainable materials in their footwear. This includes organic cotton jute, cork, recycled rubber, and vegan leather. These eco-friendly materials contribute to the brand’s focus on comfort and sustainability.
Recent Studies About Orthopedic Footwear
These examples suggest that proper footwear can have significant benefits for individuals with foot conditions or those who engage in physical activities:
- This study found that customized insoles made of foam or polyurethane materials may help reduce plantar pressure and pain in individuals with foot conditions.
- This review found that footwear with a lower heel-to-toe drop and wider toe box may help improve balance and reduce falls in older adults.
- This pilot study found that customized footwear may help improve pain, function, and quality of life in individuals with rheumatoid arthritis.
- This meta-analysis found that customized foot orthoses may help reduce plantar pressure and prevent foot ulcers in individuals with diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
- This review found that minimalist shoes may increase the risk of injury in runners, while shoes with more cushioning may help reduce impact forces and improve running economy.
9 Best-Selling Vionic Footwear
I’ll start this section by checking out some stylish and comfortable Vionic sandals. Following that, my Vionic Shoes review has pulled out some of the top-selling slippers and sneakers from the brand’s catalog for your delectation.
Vionic Tide II Toe Post Sandal Review
Who would have thought that sandals so stylish could also steel you against heel pain? The Tide II Post Sandal sports a contoured “wave” design that rises gently in the middle to support your arches and provides a firmly cushioned base for your heel that can relieve the symptoms of plantar fasciitis.
These best-selling Vionic flip-flops come in your choice of six colors, ranging from deep black to gleaming white. Get them for $75.
Vionic Bella II Toe Post Sandal Review
Unisex be damned: the ultra-sweet Bella II Toe Post Sandal gives maximum girly-girl vibes with its cute bow detail on the toe post. But don’t let the frippery fool you—this sandal still has all the high-tech support you expect from Vionic, including shock absorption, heel stability, and always dependable traction on the sole.
You have your choice of 10 attractive colors, as well as a range of sizes for all three width categories (medium, wide, and narrow). The Bella II Toe Post Sandal retails for $80.
Vionic Relax Slippers Review
Give your tired feet a warm hug with the Vionic Relax Slippers. These Oprah-approved dog-warmers are not only adorably fluffy, but also have the same signature supportive foot-tech as the Vionic walking shoes, sandals, and other outdoor footwear.
The Relax Slippers are easily adjustable, and they’re specially treated to fight off odor, which is a real salvation for those poor souls who suffer from the dreaded Sweaty Foot Syndrome. They’re available in 11 colors, ranging from monochromes to cute tiger-stripe or leopard-spot designs. You can get these sweet Vionic slippers for a sweet $70.
Vionic Gemma Mule Slippers Review
Advanced orthopedic support never looked (or felt) so luxe. Beneath that warm, fluffy footbed, the Gemma Mule Slippers conceal a biomechanically engineered arch-support system that not only gives you maximum comfort but also works to improve your weight distribution when you walk, preventing excessive strain on one side or the other.
That’s reason enough to pick up a pair, and I haven’t even gotten to the six nifty color schemes yet. Available in women’s sizes 5-12, these fuzzy wonders are $70.
Vionic Men’s Classic Walker Review
Lace up for a pain-free walk with the Men’s Classic Walker. The sleek leather exterior conceals a reinforced heel for added stability, the signature, built-in Vionic orthotic, and a contoured design that reduces shock and makes for a seamless weight transition along your foot with every step.
These shoes come in sizes 7-13, with width options of medium and wide. Get them in either white/navy, grey, or black for $110.
Vionic Pismo Casual Sneaker Review
What’s better than a cute pair of sneakers? A cute and sustainable pair of sneakers, natch. The bright and cheery Pismo Casual Sneaker is part of the brand’s recently introduced “Vionic Beach” line of eco-conscious footwear.
The cotton upper is made with canvas from natural materials, the outsole consists of a rubber-and-soybean-based compound, and all other materials are certified vegan and cruelty-free.
These funky Vionic women’s shoes come in over a dozen fun and colorful designs—I’m particularly partial to the pale-blue “Aquifer” and intricate “Navy.” The Pismo Casual Sneaker comes in sizes 5-11 and will run you $65.
Vionic Tokyo Sneaker Review
If you’re in the market for Vionic tennis shoes, the Tokyo Sneaker will do in a pinch. This super-comfy sneaker is designed for both optimal support and maximum mobility, giving you greater reaction time and range of motion on the ball of your foot (the better to chase after those smashes to the opposite side of the court).
The Tokyo Sneaker comes in women’s sizes 5-12 with five color options: white, grey, navy, black, and black/pink. You can get them for $130.
Vionic Relief Full Orthotic Review
The patented Vio-Motion™ footbed technology (formerly known as Orthaheel) is the foundation of Vionic, and the Relief Full Orthotic gives you that podiatric breakthrough in its purest form.
This non-prescription orthotic is scientifically designed to both relieve lower-body pain and also work to correct the gait and alignment imperfections that contribute to those aches and strains.
These are designed for everyday use, so you can slip them into your work shoes, hiking boots, gym sneakers, or whatever to give you greatly increased support and stability. This unisex insole comes in sizes XS-L, and it can also be trimmed for further customization. You can get it for $40.
Vionic Active Full-Length Orthotic Review
Do you feel the need… for speed? The Active Full-Length Orthotic is the perfect podiatric support for the seriously athletically inclined.
Whether you’re training for a marathon, perfecting your tennis game, or doing those awful, awful wind sprints at the gym, these insoles will give you increased support and even weight distribution without hampering your mobility.
The Active Full-Length Orthotic is available in sizes XS-XXL and will run you $45.
Who Is Vionic For?
Vionic states that over 70% of the global population experience lower-body ailments stemming from uneven weight distribution on the foot and improper alignment.
The brand’s orthotic-inclusive shoes can benefit anyone and everyone, from those who regularly experience foot and lower-body pain to those who are looking to stave off those issues.
By incorporating its patented orthotic technology into a wide array of footwear—from Vionic flats, heels, and wedges to sneakers, sandals, slippers, and more—the brand provides all-day, any-situation support.
Whether you’re an athlete, a high-heel enthusiast, or a person dealing with excess weight due to pregnancy or obesity, this footwear will help take the load off you.
Vionic Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
So this brand talks the podiatric health talk, but can it walk the walk? For this Vionic Shoes review, I took it to the streets (or at least the internet) to see what buyers really had to say about this footwear and its fabled Orthaheel (now Vio-Motion™) technology as of May 2023.
Let’s start things off at vionicshoes.com, where the bestselling Tide II Toe Post Sandal pulls in an impressive 4.5/5 stars from 1,744 customer reviews. Buyers were over the moon about these sandals’ arch support, and how they made it easier to live the real summer lifestyle.
“I bought these last summer, and they still look and wear like new! The arch support allows me to FINALLY be able to wear flip flops year-round, like everyone else in California. They are my go to when running out to get something in a hurry. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!” raved one Golden State customer.
On Amazon, the Joy Serena Ankle Boot scores 4.4/5 stars from 1,041 global ratings. The vast majority of buyers loved how these Vionic booties gave them the support they needed while still looking super-stylish. One customer wrote a terse but still praise-filled review of this product:
“My right arch [has] completely collapsed and I wear sneakers with specially made orthotics most of the time. However, when I need to go out, I feel pretty silly wearing sneakers. These [boots] are great. They are very comfortable. My feet do not hurt a bit and I can walk for a really long time with them on. Also they are very stylish. I can wear them with slacks or with a dress.”
Turning to another Vionic retail partner, Nordstrom has the Robyn Flat rated an average of 4.5/5 stars based on 37 reviews. Buyers loved both the comfort and the style of these Vionic flats, with one saying, “I usually can’t wear flats because they hurt my arch. Not the case with these. I have them in yellow and pewter and wear them with everything!”
It is also important to know that the brand does note on every product page that it can take your feet a while to adjust to orthotic-support footwear, so it recommends breaking in your shoes gently.
Is Vionic Worth It?
Based on all the research done for this Vionic Shoes review, I believe that a good, supportive pair of shoes is one of the most important accessories you can own.
With its science-backed orthotic technology and certifications from reputable medical bodies, it’s clear that Vionic delivers on its promise to provide shoes, sandals, and more that can help alleviate foot-related ailments.
All of which is to say that yes, I definitely the brand is worth it.
Vionic Promotions & Discounts
At the time of writing this Vionic Shoes review, there is a 40% off Labor Day sale going on—but you probably won’t be able to take advantage of that by the time you read this article, so scratch that one.
What you can do, though, is sign up for the brand’s rewards program, which allows you to earn points that you can redeem for discounts on future purchases. There are a number of ways you can earn points, as per below:
- 1 point for every $1 spent on vionicshoes.com
- 20 points for creating an account
- 20 points for signing up for the brand mailing list
- 30 points for writing a product review
And once you’ve got ’em, you can make use of ’em like this:
- 100 points = $5 off your purchase
- 250 points = $10 off your purchase
- 500 points = $20 off your purchase
Lastly, you can get free shipping on your next purchase by signing up for the e-newsletter.
Where To Buy Vionic
International, as well as North American customers, can purchase these items through other major retailers, including Amazon, Nordstrom, SoftMoc, Tootsies, Quarks, The Shopping Channel, and more.
To help you on your journey to find the perfect support from the perfect shoe, here are two more options to consider:
- Orthofeet: Orthofeet is another brand that offers shoes with unique comfort features and biomechanical engineering, making them a viable alternative to Vionic. Their shoes are designed to provide excellent support and alleviate foot discomfort.
- Clarks: Clarks is a brand that offers a variety of comfortable shoes, including styles that can be compared to Vionic. With a focus on providing support and comfort, Clarks’ footwear can be a suitable alternative for individuals seeking Vionic-like qualities.
Where is Vionic made?
Vionic shoes are manufactured in the company’s facility in China. The brand claims that it maintains a regular presence there in order to ensure that workers are treated fairly and that working conditions are safe.
Are Vionic shoes good for your back?
Excess weight from obesity or pregnancy, weak joints, or prolonged periods spent on the feet can all put a lot of pressure on the spine, which can then lead to back pain.
Orthotics or orthotic-inclusive shoes can ease that burden by giving you better weight distribution, as well as increased stability and balance.
Even though they are non-prescription, Vionic shoes provide clinically proven lower-body support and pain relief. By keeping your feet and legs in better shape, they also give more support to your spine.
Do Vionic shoes help fallen arches?
Fallen arches, otherwise known as “flat feet,” can cause many common ailments, including chronic foot pain, leg fatigue, and more. Vionic Vio-Motion™ technology can help alleviate these symptoms by providing much-needed arch support.
Do Vionic shoes fit true to size?
The brand states that it works hard to make sure that its sizes remain consistent across its collections. Most of its styles thus fit true to size, apart from the sandals, which are only available in whole sizes. If you wear a half-size, Vionic recommends that you size down when buying these products.
What is Vionic’s Shipping Policy?
Vionic ships to the US and Canada, through different national sites. Taxes, duties, and customs are automatically added to orders during the checkout process.
Shipping rates and methods for the US are as follows:
- Standard Ground Shipping (3-7 business days)—$5
- 3-Day Shipping—$10
- 2-Day Shipping—$15
NOTE: Please allow 2 business days for the warehouse to process the order once submitted on VionicShoes.com
Shipping rates for Canada are as follows:
- Standard Ground Shipping (5-7 business days)—free for orders of $150+, otherwise $10
- Canada Post XpressPost—rate calculated per order
What is Vionic’s Return Policy?
Vionic offers free returns within 30 days of purchase to both US and Canadian customers. In order to initiate a return, follow the directions below:
- Go to returns.vionicshoes.com and enter your email address and order number
- Indicate which items you would like to return, then print a free return label and slip
- Package your merchandise with the slip provided and affix the label to the outside
- Drop off the package at any authorized FedEx/Canada Post location
- Your return will be processed within 7 business days
Note that original shipping costs are not eligible for a refund.
How to contact Vionic
I did my best in this Vionic Shoes review to give you all the info you need, but maybe you’ve still got a burning question that I didn’t answer. If so, you can get it straight from the horse’s mouth by contacting the brand via:
- Phone: 1-877-322-1941 (Monday-Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm PST)
- Email: [email protected]
Looking for more options? Check out some other top shoe brands: