Taos Footwear Review
Table of Contents
About Taos Footwear
Taos Footwear designs comfortable and stylish footwear for women with an artistic flair for a casual lifestyle.
Founded in 2005 and headquartered in Gardena, California, the brand is influenced by the city it’s named after, Taos, New Mexico. The founders admired the serenity and the casual lifestyle of Taos. The signature artistic touches in their shoes reflect this meaningful heritage with natural stones, metal ornaments, and ornate embroidery.
There’s clearly a buzz about this brand, but is it worth your attention too? In this Taos Footwear review, I’ll help you find that out by looking into its best-sellers, feedback, promotions, and more.
First, let’s look at some studies about orthopedic footwear and why it’s important to opt for proper support.
Why You Should Trust Us
Our mission is to help you make better, more informed purchase decisions. Our team spends hours researching, consulting with medical experts, gathering insight from expert professionals, reviewing customer feedback, and analyzing products to provide you with the information you need.
Recent Studies About Orthopedic Footwear
These examples suggest that the proper footwear can have significant benefits for individuals with foot conditions or those who engage in physical activities.
- This study found that customized insoles made of foam or polyurethane materials may help reduce plantar pressure and pain in individuals with foot conditions.
- This review found that footwear with a lower heel-to-toe drop and wider toe box may help improve balance and reduce falls in older adults.
- This pilot study found that customized footwear may help improve pain, function, and quality of life in individuals with rheumatoid arthritis.
- This meta-analysis found that customized foot orthoses may help reduce plantar pressure and prevent foot ulcers in individuals with diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
- This review found that minimalist shoes may increase the risk of injury in runners, while shoes with more cushioning may help reduce impact forces and improve running economy.
Taos Footwear Pros and Cons
Like any brand, Taos has its pros and cons. Here are some potential points to consider before shopping:
- Comfort: Taos footwear is designed with comfort in mind. The brand often incorporates features such as cushioned footbeds, arch support, and adjustable straps, which can provide all-day comfort.
- Style: Taos offers a range of stylish footwear options, including sandals, flats, boots, and sneakers. The brand aims to combine comfort with fashionable designs, allowing wearers to look good while feeling comfortable.
- Quality materials: Taos footwear is typically made from high-quality materials, such as premium leather or suede. This can contribute to the durability and longevity of the shoes.
- Attention to detail: Taos pays attention to the small details in its footwear, such as decorative stitching, embossed patterns, and unique hardware. These details can enhance the overall aesthetic appeal of the shoes.
- Arch support: Taos footwear often incorporates built-in arch support, which can be beneficial for individuals with high arches or those who require extra support for their feet.
- Price: Taos footwear tends to be on the pricier side compared to some other brands. The higher quality materials and attention to detail can contribute to the higher price point, making it less accessible for budget-conscious consumers.
- Limited style options: While Taos offers a range of styles, some individuals may find that the brand’s offerings are not as extensive as other footwear brands. This can limit choices for those with specific preferences or needs.
- Fit: As with any shoe brand, the fit of Taos footwear may vary depending on an individual’s foot shape and size. Some people may find that the shoes run large or small, which could require trying on multiple sizes to find the right fit.
- Limited availability: Depending on your location, it might be challenging to find a wide selection of Taos footwear in physical stores. Online shopping may be the primary option for purchasing their products, which can be inconvenient for those who prefer to try on shoes before buying.
- Style preference: While Taos offers stylish options, the brand’s aesthetic may not align with everyone’s personal style. The designs may be more suited to a specific demographic or taste, limiting the appeal to a broader audience.
Taos footwear generally follows standard US sizing, but it’s essential to note that the fit can vary slightly between different styles and models!
Here is a size conversion chart, along with a few guidelines to consider when determining your size in Taos footwear:
- Consult the Size Chart: It’s recommended to refer to their size chart for specific measurements and guidelines to find your best fit. They may include measurements for foot length and width to help you determine the appropriate size.
- Customer Reviews: Reading customer reviews can be helpful in understanding how the shoes fit. People often share their experiences regarding sizing, whether they recommend sizing up, down, or sticking to their usual size. This can provide valuable insights when making a decision.
- Consider the Style: Different shoe styles may have different fits. For example, sandals may have adjustable straps that can accommodate a range of foot widths, while boots may have a more structured fit. Consider the specific style you’re interested in and any specific fitting recommendations provided by Taos.
- Try Them On: If possible, it’s always best to try on Taos footwear before making a purchase. Visit a store that carries Taos shoes or order multiple sizes online if returns are easy. Trying them on will give you the most accurate idea of how they fit your feet.
Remember, individual foot shape and personal preferences can influence the fit of any shoe brand, so it’s important to find what feels most comfortable and suits your needs.
Taos began with a simple idea that could make a big impact: to create “stylish and comfortable footwear without compromise.”
The brand instills their values into the footwear and for them, comfort comes first (with style a close second). They start with their signature footbeds which are anatomically designed, supportive and comfortable.
There are also comfort technologies like the Curves & Pods design integrated into the shoes: an orthotic-friendly removable footbed that adapts to the physiology of the foot and provides shock absorption with each step.
Taos shoes are also complemented by Cool Recovery Foam, which is a memory footbed with gel for enduring comfort. They are made in China, Portugal and Spain.
Taos utilizes a variety of materials in their shoe construction, aiming to provide comfort, durability, and style. Here are some commonly used materials in their shoes:
- Leather: Taos often incorporates high-quality leather in their footwear. Leather is known for its durability, breathability, and ability to mold to the shape of the foot over time. It offers a classic and sophisticated look to the shoes.
- Suede: Suede is a type of leather with a soft, velvety texture. Taos uses suede in some of their styles, particularly for casual and more relaxed designs. Suede can add a touch of luxury and comfort to the shoes.
- Nubuck: Nubuck is another type of leather that has been sanded or buffed to create a velvety surface. Taos may use nubuck in certain shoe models, offering a soft and plush feel while maintaining the durability of leather.
- Fabric and Textiles: In addition to leather, Taos incorporates various fabrics and textiles in their footwear. This can include canvas, woven materials, or synthetic fabrics. These materials are often used in casual styles and can provide breathability and flexibility.
- Cushioning Materials: Taos pays attention to providing comfort through cushioning materials. They may use memory foam, EVA (ethylene-vinyl acetate) foam, or other proprietary cushioning technologies in the footbeds or midsoles. These materials help absorb shock and provide support for all-day comfort.
- Synthetic Materials: Taos may also incorporate synthetic materials such as synthetic leathers or microfibers in some of their shoe designs. These materials can offer durability, water resistance, and a vegan-friendly alternative to leather.
6 Taos Footwear Bestsellers
Taos sells footwear for women and men that adapts to their lifestyle including sneakers, mary janes, boots, and sandals. Unfortunately, Taos has a limited selection available for men, so in this review, I’ll showcase a selection of popular Taos products for women. Let’s get started.
Taos Trulie Sandal
The Trulie Sandal has a Southern European style and comes in 9 attractive colors. My favorite? I think the tan multi color gives them a fun, summery look that’s perfect for festival season.
These Taos sandals are handcrafted in Spain, and the colors are meant to reflect the sea, sky and earth. I picture wearing these exotic sandals through the city streets of Madrid, while roaming the Pyrenees, or along the coast of Málaga. I’ve got some serious wanderlust going on right now.
The handcrafted woven hook and loop straps of the Trulie Sandal give them a custom designed and elegant look. They’re pleasantly lightweight, with a padded cork footbed lined in comfy suede. These sandals are a gorgeous for everyday wear and pull through on comfort as well. The Trulie costs $160.
Taos Party 2 Sandal
The Party 2 Sandal will jazz up your style with multi-color rhinestone embellishments and a metallic pewter sheen. I think these sandals make a subtle style statement and would look beautiful with a white summer dress, or elevate a casual look with jeans.
The two hook and loop straps on these Taos sandals provide a secure fit, and your feet will be comfortable even when walking all day with their polyurethane footbed with arch and metatarsal support. The Party 2 Sandal isn’t available on Taos’ website, but you may be able to find it through partner retailers.
Taos Carousel 2 Sandal
The Carousel 2 Sandal is perfect for a night on the town with its alluring snakeskin pattern. It’s available in killer styles like black snake, leather, or patent, and bone patent, as well as other shades that are disappointingly unavailable.
This lightweight wedge sandal is sexy and classy at the same time. As usual, Taos didn’t forget about comfort. The Carousel 2 Sandal is equipped with a padded cork footbed lined with soft suede and the premium leather is sourced from Portugal.
You can pack these for a trip to Rome or wear them on your next date for some extra confidence. Though the Carousel 2 has been discontinued on Taos’ site, I have some good news: the Carousel 3 is here and it’s a stunner. Enjoy its modern neutral options and increased arch support.
Taos Star Sneaker
I want to make one thing clear in this Taos Footwear review: A sleek, minimalist white sneaker is a versatile must-have. It wasn’t really a surprise when I discovered the Star Sneaker is one of the brand’s most popular shoes.
I love the cute Taos logo on the upper, it’s a nice touch to break up the all white. If you’re more into colored sneaks, this style comes in 20 different colors and patterns.
Based on the highly positive customer reviews, these Taos sneakers will probably become your go-to’s. The Star Sneaker is a comfortable and fresh take on a classic, with Taos’ Curves & Pods polyurethane removable footbed. The Star Sneaker is priced at $100–$110, which is pretty standard for high quality sneakers.
Taos Top Star Sneaker
The Top Star Sneaker is a high-top version of the Star Sneaker. It’s got an urban skater look that I’m really into that I think would look killer with skinny jeans. It’s got the same Curves & Pods polyurethane removable footbed as the originals, so these sneaks are built for walking (or chilling).
Sadly, the Top Star Sneaker has been discontinued, but a handful of other stylish kicks have been added in its place. I recommend checking out the Moc Star. It has the same cool-girl vibe.
Taos Crave Boot
I came across this unique bestseller for this Taos Footwear review. The Crave Boot used to feature an attractive plaid design, but you’ll now find it in black and white options only. Personally, I’m partial to simple color choices, it makes things easier for everyone.
I also think the side heel strap, leather stitching, and lace up details really work for these heeled combat-style boots.
The Crave Boot has a faux fur and leather lining, so they’ll keep you toasty and warm in the fall and winter, perfect for casual layered outfits. The low wedge-style heel adds some subtle height and won’t put as much pressure on your heel as a thinner one. The lacing and the inside zipper of this boot give it a great fit, making it easy to slip them on and off. I know the boot struggle all too well, so details like this matter to me.
Based on the website reviews, it seems like these Taos boots are worth the $200–$230 price—I’ll verify this in the next section of the Taos Footwear review, where we look into reviews outside the website.
Taos Footwear Reviews: What Do Customers Think?
For this part of my Taos Footwear review, I took a deep dive into what the quality, comfort, and durability of the brand’s shoes are like according to customers. I’ll give you a peek at the ratings for some of its best-sellers first them jump into the comments.
- Star: 4.9/5 stars, 2,624 reviews
- Star Burst: 4.9/5 stars, 727 reviews
- Gift 2 Sandals: 4.9/5 stars, 2,091 reviews
- Trulie Sandals: 5/5 stars, 42 revews
- Crave Boot: 4.9/5 stars, 2,076 reviews
One Taos Footwear review for the Star read, “I have lots of problems with my feet. These are the most comfortable shoes I have ever bought. Well worth the money. True to size. Love the color. Love the look!”
My next stop? Zappos. Once there, I really got a sense of customer satisfaction. Checking out the Moc Star sneakers, I found a 4/5 star score average from 802 shoppers. There were a ton of positive reviews there, but this one was my favorite:
“I have married this shoe and had its babies. We are happy beyond our wildest dreams. From the second I slipped it on I knew. “You. You are the perfect sneaker-type shoe. I feel peace. Joy. Nothing but comfort.” This shoe changed my life.”
It really shows me just how comfortable the Star is and other shoppers agree. Overall, customers were extremely happy with their Taos shoes. They felt the shoes were stylish and so comfortable they could walk around town all day long. Are Taos shoes good for plantar fasciitis? Not surprisingly, several customers who have this issue confirmed that the shoes they bought helped with this condition.
Praise was pretty much the same on Amazon for the Star Sneaker, which has a 4.2/5 rating out of 2,038 reviews (65% rated them as 5/5). But while most people loved Taos’ shoes, not everyone had the same experience.
On the other hand, some customers complained of blisters, that the arch support was exaggerated and not comfortable, and that the soles wore out after a few months. A handful of customers also had some issues with Taos’ return process.
Though I thought these issues were worth mentioning, keep in mind that it’s a very slim percentage of folks who feel this way. I found much more positive feedback than I did negative.
Is Taos Footwear Worth It?
In this Taos Footwear review, it really comes down to one big question: Are Taos good shoes? I came out of my analysis with a big yes.
Sure, there are some negative reviews, but the huge majority of customers were satisfied, and take it from someone who looks at ratings all day every day—no company ever has a perfect score.
Not only are Taos shoes stylish and unique, but comfort comes first. The technology behind your shoe will make these the perfect pair to wear out on your day to day or while exploring a new place on your travels. I suggest you get a pair and see for yourself.
If you’re interested in Taos footwear but want to explore other options as well, consider these alternative brands:
- Vessi: If you’re looking for waterproof sneakers that are both functional and stylish, check out Vessi. Their sneakers are made with a patented waterproof technology that keeps your feet dry in any weather, while still being breathable and comfortable.
- New Republic: For those seeking a balance between affordability and luxury, New Republic offers a range of stylish and high-quality shoes at reasonable prices. Their range includes everything from classic sneakers to dress shoes, all crafted with premium materials.
- Cariuma: If sustainability is important to you, Cariuma offers a range of sneakers made from eco-friendly materials, including bamboo and recycled plastics. Their sneakers are designed with comfort and style in mind, making them a great choice for those who want to make a fashion statement while being environmentally conscious.
- Native: Known for their lightweight and comfortable shoes, Native offers a range of sneakers, sandals, and boots in various styles and colors. Their shoes are made from vegan materials and feature a unique foam-injection molding process that provides superior comfort and durability.
Taos Footwear Promotions & Discounts
I scoured Taos’ website for this Taos shoes review, and found a few ways the brand helps you save. Take a look:
- Awesome Sale section with up to 40% off
- Rewards Program: shop to earn point & redeem discounts
- Refer a friend & get a $20 Tao discount code
Where to Buy Taos Footwear
I looked into where you can purchase Taos footwear and found that the two simplest places are TaosFootwear.com and Taos Footwear Amazon. You can also purchase Taos from Quark Shoes, Zappos, Walmart, and Soft Moc.
Taos Footwear Shipping Policy
The Taos website has a map of the US coded by colors, and a corresponding chart that shows delivery times to determine how far off your package is. Taos offers free FedEx Ground Shipping for orders over $75. This method takes about 2-7 business days depending on the where you live.
Note that when you make an order after 12:30 PST, it’ll be shipped the following business day and the same goes for orders made on the weekend. I read that the day that you place your order doesn’t count as a day in transit, so wait until your shipping confirmation email arrives and begin the countdown.
Presently, Tao ships to a total of 48 states (Alaska and Hawaii are not available).
If you want to receive your order a little faster, you can choose FedEx 2 day or FedEx standard overnight delivery. An expedited parcel ships within 24-48 hours. Want to check up on where your package is? Use the tracking link in your shipping confirmation email.
Taos Footwear Return Policy
Taos Footwear returns require a label so that the company can track your order and issue you a refund. Taos does not offer free shipping on returns and they ask that shoes be tried on indoors. Refunds are only applicable to unworn shoes in their original packaging, within 30 days of purchase. Active footbeds are not returnable.
After receiving your return, Taos will take several business days to process your refund. When they do, you’ll receive an email notification. I’ve outlined the steps below to start the return process:
- Access the Returns Center on the website
- Enter your email address
- Follow the instructions through the returns process and receive your prepaid return label
- Attach the prepaid label to your shipping container and a packing list so that your order is identifiable
How to Contact Taos Footwear
If you have questions beyond what I included in this Taos Footwear review, you can contact the team via:
- Phone: 1-844-363-8267
- Email: [email protected]
Customer service hours are Monday-Friday 8AM-5:30PM PST.
You’ve got plenty of options for trendy footwear. Check out these brands: